Runaway (Runaway Boys) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Runaway (Runaway Boys) Reviews

½ March 15, 2014
Not the greatest acting on display, but the intensity of the movie is strong.. Later half brings in most of the excitement factor, and add's to the movie's substance..
½ September 8, 2011
This was cool.

It's strange some of the pairings you find in cinema, as to me this is effectively Teresa Lisbon (from The Mentalist) meets Seymour Birkhoff (from Nikita). I like both Stanford and Tunney in general, and this has certainly made me see Stanford in a new light and enabled me to see he has a much broader acting scope when its called for.

I expected it to be a romance between the two, but really that takes a back seat and is barely touched upon, and it all gets quite dark towards the end, once the twist is revealed.

Once you find out the truth it kind ruins things a little, as you stop feeling sorry for him and taking his side, and only really pity him and his mental state instead. His parents were indeed dicks though (Gaston 98% of the time plays nasty and Leo plays crazy bitch a lot too), assuming those flashbacks were real and not his twisted, perceived version of events.

It turns from the touching story of a brother doing the right thing into just another mentally unstable killer story. The former had more going for it and has been mined less frequently and thoroughly by Hollywood.

I really liked it; a decent film with good performances from Tunney and Stanford. It just needed as little something extra.
½ November 13, 2010
Muy buena... no veia venir ese final, impactante.
February 10, 2010
I was very surprised at how good this film was. I was afraid it would be a total dud, but there was a terrific psychological element that kept viewers slightly off-balance.
½ January 21, 2010
If not for a weak ending a 4 star. A boy who was abused by his father takes his younger brother to prevent him from suffering the same fate and runs away. He goes to a small town and lives in a motel room and works at a small grocery store hoping to save money for better things. Everything is ok till his situation starts being revealed to his co workers.
January 21, 2010
I kind of liked that movie. The end was quite interesting and unexpected.
½ January 13, 2010
Superb performances by Stanford and Tunney, both of whom effectively step into the shoes of characters that aren't always likable. There's also a fairly unexpected twist towards the end that doesn't come off as gimmicky, thanks to Bill True's subtle yet complex screenplay.
January 9, 2010
It had the potentially for a shocking ending but completely failed in the execution. 1) The little brother is only ever with Michael 2) When he specifically says to Robin Tunney's character "I have to show you something" thats when everything is revealed. That's when I realized that the brother was already dead. I think if they had not included that one line of dialogue than they would have genuinely shocked me. The ending all together was a little bit strange I felt as though it didn't mesh with the rest of the film. He turns out to be this gravely disturbed murder and kills his only two friends. What was a slow boiling drama in less the 3 minutes is turned into a bizarre thriller. But both Aaron Stanford and Robin Tunney give great performances. I think Tunney is such an underrated actress. Melissa Leo was a bit underused in the film. She is capable of great acting would be better to include her more and her character.
½ December 10, 2009
An entertaining time waster, but it didn't grab me or hold my attention like a slow burning drama as this should. The acting is uniformly excellent, but the characters aren't given much beyond who they are in the beginning. The dream sequences could have really gone somewhere, but instead seem like from a different movie. The cinematography is good, and with lots of gold hues, the look of the movie is also good.
December 28, 2008
This movie had me sitting at the edge of my seat wondering where it would go. And the ending.. I was shocked and in tears. Kudos to the writer, Bill True, on this movie. I'm very impressed with it and highly recommend that it does get distributed and all get to see it.
October 21, 2008
This movie was absolutely amazing and for sure doesn't get enough credit as it should. Bill True and Tim McCann were truly brilliant, not to mention the awesome cast. Aaron Stanford's talent is incredibly amazing and shines soo beautifully in this movie. Robin Tunney absolutely nailed the role of Carly. And Zack Savage, nobody could have done it better. I just loved the whole thing! From start to finish. The storyline was amazing and kept me engaged throughout the whole thing. I'm simply, and absolutely in love with this movie. I strongly recommend seeing this movie to anyone if you can. I just wish it would come out on DVD!
September 3, 2008
Didn't see this whole movie, I double booked myself and had TIFF and U2 tix the same night. I saw about half an hour before I had to sneak out. What I saw was good though!