The Second Chance - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Second Chance Reviews

March 10, 2014
Desite possessing a worthy message, "Second Chance" stumbles and struggles overall as a film. It oftentimes feels distant, as if it was made with no love or care to invite anybody else in. Still, it's a somewhat harmless film, and makes for better family fare than most movies that you'll find on cable.
½ December 4, 2013
Cliche, predictable, not credible, a pretense by which the gospel is shared. The gospel is the Good News but this movie? Not so much.
August 16, 2013
It was a great movie Michael W Smith play so good in the movie he is my favorite singer and his voice is great
December 7, 2012
Standard film, mediocre, nothing further, worth one watch or two.
November 26, 2012
A must see again, for me.
½ November 1, 2012
Very good, a few almost cuss words... Very inspiring! I was thinking about it for at least a couple of days!
½ October 25, 2012
Better than I expected. Smith is a slightly better actor than I expected (though not great) and the story tries to move beyond typical Christian fare. There's definitely heart in the film but it still needs some work.
½ October 7, 2012
The Second Chance delivers a complex and nuanced picture of inner city life, and the interactions between religion and society. It's not even close to preachy, and sometimes the Christianity seems like a backdrop to a story about much more universal themes. It switches effectively between powerful realism and some more symbolic elements, in the same way an F. Scott Fitzgerald novel might require one to suspend disbelief.

My main problem with The Second Chance was the ending. It's out of touch with the rest of the film, and caught me off guard with its unexpected hokiness. I had enough faith in The Second Chance that I didn't expect it to cast itself overboard like it did, into realms inhabited by a much worse film, but it did. It would have been much more satisfying to see the church deal with the crisis it was presented and thrive despite it, but unfortunately the ending results in an absurd plot device being used to rescue the film from what could have been an excellent opportunity to display the church's perserverance. The early church of Christianity endured monumental struggles, so why did they deem it necessary to replace this factor with and old man sitting on the roof?

Perhaps I'm being a bit too critical, for The Second Chance is still a solid movie. While hindered by the ending, it does linger for some time, and thus it achieves its objective.
August 31, 2012
Now this looks good. A movie about God. I don't care what other people say but that is totally awesome.
August 26, 2012
It was good but could have been better. Music was great.
June 6, 2012
The movie is kind of slow. Michael W. Smith is a much better singer/musician than actor. The movie has an excellent message, but poor ending.
May 14, 2012
A Good Movie All Around. If Your A Michael W. Smith Fan You Really Do Not Want To Miss This One. Takes On Some Tough Issues Facing The & Adults Today.
½ April 27, 2012
I loved it. It was so believable.
April 17, 2012
GREAT christian movie. I loved this show. Very heartfelt and powerful
½ April 14, 2012
March 30, 2012
I actually thought this was really well done and showed some amazing contrasts in the church today.
January 9, 2012
This is a well made film which illustrates the importance of denominational over-site and Higher Authority.

It also illustrated the problem of mega-churches‚"too much emphasis on business (selling books, tapes, videos), and production of am entertaining worship service made for TV (music, videos on the big screen, sermons with Power Point presentations), and not enough emphasis on the Real Presence of Christ.

The scene with the washing of the feet was a nice touch. Too bad more of the congregation was not there to witness it.
My Ratings: Good / 5
November 15, 2011
i didnt see the first 1 and i dont want 2 see the second 1 either
August 22, 2011
This movie is very inspirational I love it especially if you want to see what urban churches go through. I love this movie the acting is good the production is to. The message and plot just unfold so well.
August 6, 2011
Finally got a chance to see Smitty on the silver screen. He has clearly chosen the right career as a musician. As an actor, he's not nearly as good. But, he wasn't a distraction to what is a really good story. For all of my Christian friends that want to ditch the pledge cards once and for all and DO, this is the film for you.