Allegro - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Allegro Reviews

February 26, 2013
The director's follow-up to brilliant Reconstruction, unfortunately, fails to deliver. It's very similar in style, but lacks in substance. While the debut feature was delightfully cryptic and featured great chemistry between the leads, this movie has neither. Perhaps it still could have been a great short - it really feels like a mediocre Twilight Zone episode stretched into numbingly long 90 minutes.
February 3, 2013
Overly pretentious, convoluted, slow and boring.
½ January 29, 2013
I suppose the aesthetics of the film are unique in that they aren't easily forgotten, but overall the movie seemed rather inconsistent to me. The narration seemed out of place. I would watch it again out of curiosity, but I don't look back on it with very fond of memories.
½ October 18, 2012
I don't get convinced by Helena Christensen or their love, which is a pretty important part of the film, but apart from that, the dialogues and little details are quite genious
½ November 12, 2011
Christoffer Boe'nun Reconstruction'daki surrealist anlatimindan cok etkilenmistim, Allegro'da ise carpildim. Kendisinin ve cevresinin duygularina kayitsiz, kisiliginin en onemli parcalarindan birinden kopuk bir adamin, hem de sanati acisindan duygularinin farkinda olmasi gereken bir konser piyanistinin hikayesi Allegro. David Lynch, Charlie Kaufman, Christopher Nolan, hatta Tarkovski'den tatlar var Boe filmlerinde. Ve... herseyin birbiriyle baglantili oldugu tezini muthis veriyor.
½ May 10, 2010
Maybe Danish cinema is not my cup of tea.
½ April 28, 2010
Who knew? Helena Christensen can act! Granted, she's barely in the film but she brings an understated elegance and melancholy to her character. If you liked "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind," this movie is for you as the plots are curiously similar.
April 9, 2010
Beautiful and thoughtful.
September 20, 2009
Super fed film der handler om, at man skal have lidenskaben med i det man laver, hvis ikke, ja så går det bare ikke så godt..
½ June 17, 2009
I watch a lot of Danish movies and I like quite a few of them. This one, however, was a huge disapointment.
June 8, 2009
Christoffer Boe creates another sophisticated and intriguing drama. The semblance is once again stylish and surreal, however this second film of his ultimately fails to deliver. So much time is dedicated to the construction of the crux that the payoff, while meaningful, does not reward the viewer for their patience. This film has much style and substance, but in the end it misses it's mark.
April 22, 2009
Wow a very interesting profound movie. Really not science fiction at all. more like a dream or a parable. This film is so interesting I am moving the directors other film to the top of my queue right now. I had hoped for more piano music but the film is still quite a tale. More like a dream. Be sure and look at review by Uhuhhs--did this tale need to be told?? However the movie elements themselves were very interesting and Bergmanesque (or like Tarkovsky). ( I have not seen but one Tarkovsky film) This film presents too many challenges for the average joe blow movie person. To much introspection into "Character Defects" and personality flaws. Allegro (and Reconstruction) are dealing really heavily with issues of memory and perception and reality. I am not going to rave about the movie and plot however the entire idea and presentation are devastatingly brilliant. So very nice to see something ENTIRELY NEW in a design for a film. Hats off to Boe. I will now watch Reconstruction. 2 stars and not recommended for the average viewers 5 stars for the rest of us just based on the unique character of the film.
½ March 31, 2009
Surprisingly understandable for an "artsy" movie, but really not much of a story in it.
January 17, 2009
Dear Cristopher Boe, the only reason why people like your movies is because they think that by enjoying them they're no longer philistines. But! News flash! Lynch and Bunuel came out first a did a LOT better.
November 7, 2008
Although I'm not entirely pleased with the dogma-like direction the core of the story is intelligent, and as most sad things, very beautiful.
½ October 5, 2008
Excellent. I love this director, although I liked Reconstruction a little more.
August 8, 2008
A diferent non linear structure. A "must" for writers.
½ July 28, 2008
Como diria Borges " El pasado es indestructible, tarde o temprano vuelven las cosas, y una de las cosas que vuelve es el proyecto de abolir elpasado", hermosa forma de mostrarlo, simple pero conmovedora
July 20, 2008
Cool movie, i really enjoyed the way the director paint a common reality-
Harlequin68
June 6, 2008
[font=Century Gothic]In "Allegro," it has been ten years since Andrea(Helena Christensen), the love of the live of Zetterstrom(Ulrich Thomsen), a concert pianist, walked out of his life. In the interim, a small section of his native Copenhagen has been sealed off behind an impenetrable force field in an area called the Zone which many fear is in rubble.(Well, it could be worse. It could be a giant ESPNZone restaurant.) While in New York, he is invited back to perform just across the way from there...[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]"Allegro" is a pretentious and dull piece of drivel that feels like a bad episode of "The Twilight Zone" by way of Tarkovsky. It would have at least been interesting(if not terribly original, maybe) if the movie had gone with more of a "Sapphire and Steel" approach with a flexible time zone in order to depict the important events in Zetterstrom's life, instead of just deriding his accomplishments and forgetting any pleasure his performances may have given. Sure, he is eccentric and does not like to perform(I don't like anybody looking over my shoulder, either), but there are other ways he could earn a living, such as recordings.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]So, why do people keep making movies about characters they obviously have no sympathy for?[/font]