All of Me - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

All of Me Reviews

½ December 4, 2012
The overall plot and sentiment in this film is wonderful, funny, and warm. It would have been a great film if it weren't filled with bodily/bathroom/gross out humor. With that added in like cheese on a pizza, it feels just ridiculous and cliched and slightly annoying at times. I was disappointed.
½ January 19, 2012
Steve Martin's teamed with Lily Tomlin in this enjoyable Carl Reiner comedy about a lawyer given a chance to prove his meddle by settling the affairs of a dying and bitter heiress. Altho Tomlin's not given much to work with she does okay with what she gets, and then here is perhaps Martin's finest performance in film.
FilmFanatik
½ November 28, 2009
Pretty cheesy at times, but it did make me laugh out loud at times. This is when Steve Martin actually meant something to me.
Mr Awesome
½ May 1, 2009
The fourth and final collaboration between Director Carl Reiner and Steve Martin might also be their funniest, second only to "The Jerk". Martin play attorney Roger Cobb, who aspires to be made a partner in his law firm but can't give up his passions for playing jazz guitar, and therefore isn't taken seriously by his boss. He's sent to deal with dying eccentric (i.e. rich and weird) client Edwina (lily Tomlin), who's figured out some way to put her soul into her stable hand's daughter's (Victoria Tennant) body when she dies, unfortunately, the guru drops the bowl containing her soul out the window and it hits Cobb on the head as he's walking out the door. All this is of course just an excuse to set Martin loose with some of the best physical comedy of his career, as Edwina controls half his body while he retains the other half. The movie itself may not be very clever (physical comedy and clever rarely go hand-in-hand), but compared to "The Jerk", it's downwright understated. The interchanges between Tomlin and Martin are pretty entertaining, and transition between their inner dialogue (in Cobb's head) and Martin's outer manifestation of Edwina's personality is tightly choreographed. This is probably one of Steve Martin's best comedic performances in what is a very enjoyable movie.
January 6, 2008
You know, I clearly remember enjoying this movie when I first saw it. Age, maybe, has changed my perspective. While Martin's physical comedy is second to none, this story really has not much substance, and I found myself not laughing at any of the jokes. Still, Steve Martin's body of work will stand for a long time to come.
garyX
January 1, 2007
Amusing rather than laugh out loud funny, this is still far better than any of Martin's efforts of recent years.
February 23, 2007
One of my personal fave Steve Martin films. A good idea that works really well.
deano
½ December 12, 2006
Generally hilarious crazy comedy about a dead woman's 'soul' taking half possession of a living man's body.
½ July 12, 2009
Funny movie as i can remember it, however it's been awhile.
May 21, 2007
A few funny bits, but a truly overrated film.
iLeo
½ April 12, 2007
Funny! A favorite.
½ February 7, 2015
Steve Martin at his early great self and Lily Tomlin at a good time, too! Fairly original movie (especially for it's time) and zany fun. Again, Martin at a younger, funnier stage!
August 11, 2014
Gender bending and body switching comedies were all the rage in the 1980's, but few were written at the level of "All of Me". None of them had the good fortune of having Steve Martin in the lead role, either, a master of physical comedy and impeccable timing.

Martin is at his genial best here, and with Lily Tomlin as his co-star, the picture has a certain old Hollywood charm to it that was so desperately missing in so many other comedies of the era. With Carl Reiner as director and the nostalgic soundtrack, the film really is something special, and Martin himself has rarely been better.

The story, as with all of these movies, is completely preposterous, but the screenplay finds laughs in how the transference would affect everyday, ordinary situations like walking or going to the bathroom. Those are two of the best scenes here. The script is so much better than that, however, getting a lot of big laughs through a number of clever one-liners. Although Tomlin doesn't get as much screen time, she's a delight as well.

The story gets a little bogged down in the end, as the duo race to get the heiress' soul into the right body and the laughs dry up a bit. Until then, however, "All of Me" is a splendid throwback to the screwball comedies of the '30's and '40's with a decidedly modern twist. The leads make a terrific pair, but it really is Martin's turn to shine in this outrageous, unrestrained performance that calls to mind the best of the silent movie era. In fact, the entire movie has a definite wistful feel about it.
April 20, 2013
First and foremost Steve Martin delivers a tour de force as the man who suddenly has half of his body taken over by an uptight, spinster woman. the scenes on the street, in the restroom, and in the meeting with his boss are golden. And lets not forget the uptight spinster either. Lily Tomlin plays her part perfectly as well, first being a completely revolting rich snob, then slowly winning us over as the girl who never really had a chance. Director Carl Reiner approaches the absurd material with complete logic only adding to the fun of this movie. A high water mark of early-eighties movies.
½ March 12, 2013
½ November 22, 2011
Best Physical Comedy Steve Martin has ever done. I never thought anyone could play Lily Tomlin... especially not a man... I was wrong!!
September 30, 2011
On her deathbed, mean-spirited millionairess Lily Tomlin has her will amended so that her soul will pass into the body of young, healthy Victoria Tennant. Thanks to a mix-up in transmutation, Tomlin winds up instead trapped in the body of upright (and uptight) attorney Steve Martin. The plot involves the fragility of male-female relationships, the importance of making commitments, and the antics of goofy guru Richard Libertini. As ridiculous as it sounds, All of Me is completely credible, thanks to Steve Martin's remarkable "body language" when conveying the notion that he's two different people with two different sets of emotions and gestures. Though the circumstances of the plot won't allow Martin to connect with the lovely Tennant, in real life things were different: the two costars were married shortly after filming wrapped. Phil Alden Robinson and Henry Olek adapted the script from Ed Davis' novel Me Too
½ April 23, 2011
A Heck of a Way to Meet Your Wife

This is where Steve Martin and Victoria Tennant met, on the set of this movie. The fact that their two characters keep missing opportunities to go to bed with one another is just an amusing side note to it. I don't know why they ended up getting divorced, and I don't really care. It's just interesting to note that the relationship started with the pair of them playing people who weren't quite what they appeared to be. Then again, I think that's what people do all the time. Even after we've known people for years, there are still secret parts of our souls that we keep hidden. This movie, of course, does not touch on the deeper meanings of things, because it's a dumb comedy and knows its limits. However, it does take Atticus Finch at his word when he said that the best way to get to know someone is to climb inside their skin and walk around for a while. I'd even suggest that both people learn something from it. But again, what effect it had on the Martin/Tennant marriage, I cannot say.

Roger Cobb (Martin) is a junior associate in a law firm. He's worked there for seven years, and his career doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Then one day, his employer, Burton Schuyler (Dana Elcar) sends him to the estate of the wealthy Edwina Cutwater (Lily Tomlin). Edwina has been in poor health her entire life. She's been told she's dying many times, but this time, she actually is. She has asked to draw up a new will, naming Terry Hoskins (Tennant) as her sole beneficiary. The plan, however, is for guru Prakha Lasa (Richard Libertini) to release Terry's soul to the Infinite and put Edwina's soul in Terry's body. Edwina will then live a life where she can walk and ride and dance and such. Naturally, something goes wrong. No one's soul is released to the Infinite, and Edwina's soul gets transferred into Roger's body. This is not what anyone wanted. Roger is also trying to improve his career by representing his boss in a messy matrimonial dispute. His girlfriend, Peggy (Madolyn Smith Osborne), is also his boss's daughter, and she sides with her mother.

There is, of course, something horribly depressing about the idea of someone's only mourners being medical supply companies. One rather wonders how Edwina met the guru. We need him there for plot purposes, but he doesn't make a lick of sense logically. The doctor (Peggy Feury), okay. Terry is the daughter of Fred (Eric Christmas), the groom. Who, incidentally, is about the most sympathetic character in the whole movie. But Edwina doesn't know anyone who doesn't work for her in some way. I suppose we must assume that one of them brought in the guru. Yes, one of the only people Roger seems close to is his secretary, Margo (Selma Diamond), but there's also Old Blind Jazz Man Tyrone Wattell (Jason Bernard), and at least he has a job which lets him get out and have a secretary. Roger says that Edwina appears to have forgotten to hire any mourners, and she thinks it will surprise him to find out that she has no friends. It was rather his point, I thought.

This is a quip-heavy movie. It's okay that the plot doesn't make sense. It's not important anyway. It's there to give us something to hang one-liners from. It's almost more of a premise. Which does mean that this is one of those movies where the question isn't what your favourite scene is. It's what your favourite line is. (I'm partial to the one early on where Roger says he has no intention of sharing his body, and someone tells him that everyone is going to be disappointed.) You can't really sympathize with any of the characters. You aren't really meant to. (Except, again, Terry's father, who is hurt by what he thinks is going to happen and then hurt by what he is told will happen instead.) The guru is a crude stereotype, but it seems okay given that so is everyone else. Neither men nor women in this movie are spared being singularly unpleasant. The doctor seems okay, and Tyrone is inherently decent. Fred wants what's best for his daughter. But everyone else, really, is broken in ways that are funny. And some of those ways are funny in a script-padding way, because the main story doesn't have a full ninety-three minutes of material.

Still, this is back when Steve Martin made funny movies. He wasn't worried about being family-friendly then. This is not to say that I support obscenity for the sake of obscenity. It's that Steve Martin isn't really even making "family films" that are worth watching. I think the belief is that what he did worked in [i]Parenthood[/i], so he should keep doing it. However, what I think Steve Martin has always done best is humour with some intelligence to it. He's a smart guy, after all. Even going back to the days of his old stand-up. In fact, this movie may be one of the exceptions to the general principle that he shouldn't appear in movies he hasn't written. (An exception the other way is the [i]Pink Panther[/i] movies.) I like watching him interact with Stephen Colbert, where Martin's dry sense of humour comes to the front. I just wish he'd be in movies where I thought, "Hey, I should go see that in the theatre."
½ March 13, 2011
A cute and sometimes funny movie. Steve Martin is in his early prime for this one. Once the movie got to the point were the two souls were combined, it got laugh out loud funny. The physical comedy is great and story has great opportunity. Unfortunately, there are several points where the movie slows way down and starts to become a bit mundane. If you haven't seen it before, it may be worth watching.
September 13, 2010
Great classic comedic fun! You know you're getting old when new comedy just is too much sometimes. And darnit, that would be me I guess!