I For India - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I For India Reviews

July 1, 2011
A bitter-sweet time capsule of alienation, discovery, racism and belonging, "I for India" is a chronicle of immigration in sixties Britain and beyond, seen through the eyes of one Asian family and their movie camera
March 3, 2011
The synopsis is contemporary though it talks about guys making to the west in 60's..
January 6, 2011
maast movie hai bhai log zarur dekhna . ise toh oscar nomination milna chahiye tha
November 29, 2009
A story that any person who leaves their home country for another sometimes better life in another country, can relate to. Even if you move from your home state to another. You can never go back home and sometimes you feel like you belong nowhere.
November 8, 2009
It was a very good movie about a family's struggle with leaving their family behind.
October 9, 2009
This is a "one of a kind" movie...basically, it is a seventy minute overview of 40 years of home movies between an Indian doctor and his family in England with his family which lives in India. It is very touching, just as you would expect in a situation where family members are separated by many miles.

After 17 years in England, the now esteemed doctor returns to India with his family, but by then, they find that they are better suited to live in England. After 9 months, they return to England to stay.
January 31, 2009
hello. how are you today. i hope you are fine. if so glory be to god.who make it possible. for us to see this new day. please my dear i will like us to be friends
December 8, 2008
Surprisingly universal for something so personal.
½ December 1, 2008
Fresh and honest fable-like documentary film with a distinctive cosy homemade flavour. Maybe not as round as it could get, but still a nice piece of reality to bite on.
½ November 3, 2008
This is an interesting documentary that the director Sandhya Suri had made bi witling down 40 years of her fatherā??s home movies to tell the story of how her Parents left India for Britain and the paths they and their childrenā??sā?? life take.
How upon his arrival in a 1960 Britain that is not the most welcoming of places to foreign nationals he initially struggles with the fitting in to British society, and with the poor state of telecommunications at the time decides to maintain contact with his family in India by purchasing to cine cameras as a means of sending and receiving messages from one another.
You notice how the family slowly gets used to life in the UK whilst constantly feeling the need to return home which is not helped by the large slices of guilt served by his family in their films to the family.
This really is a remarkable story of the immigrant and how they can begin to feel like no place is actually their home, as the family here find out on their return to India.
A lovely little film that shows the power of family in both the positive and negative ways.
October 6, 2008
An awesome film, beautifully put together. It marries the personal, heart-wrenching journey of an Indian family from the 'brain drain' of the 1960s to the present day with the political background of the turbulent last 30-odd years. Its also a moving meditation on the power of the filmed image, and how it can give memories form and solidity. An unbelievable piece of work. Everybody should watch this.
½ September 23, 2008
This is one of the most fascinating studies I have watched, a real addition to the social history of Britain and a valuable insight into diaspora generally. I bet what wasn't shown was as interesting as what was shown. I highly recommend this - especially for sociology students.
July 17, 2008
ENJOYABLE DOCUMENTARY. INDIA TO DARLINGTON. SUPER SUPER 8.
½ April 9, 2008
Quite revealing - very interesting too - but thought it would be more of the old footage and it wasn't. Still worth the effort though.
March 15, 2008
Fascinating documentary, such a treat to see footage spanning 40 years and telling a great story of a family who came over from India to England in the 1960s: you can't fit into your new country, but you can't return to your old one either. Heartbreaking; I cried my eyes out after watching it.
March 11, 2008
Fascinating and moving use of over 40 years worth of home movies to retell one family's experience with economic migration to the UK from India. Really interesting and effective film making.
February 18, 2008
I can not remember last time I was so touched by a film
½ November 18, 2007
This documentary is about the transition of a family from India to UK. Through film and audio recordings, the story is well directed.
November 15, 2007
Very well executed film... A little bit slow but speak about his own life is not easy.