Suburban Mayhem - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Suburban Mayhem Reviews

September 6, 2009
Tries hard to be Tarrantino, but isn't, by a long way.
September 1, 2009
Australian movie about a woman with no self-control, who follows base instinct with no consideration of consequence. She manages to destroy the lives of everyone she meets. While watching this movie, I was not sure what emotion this movie was trying to provoke from me. Was I supposed to hate this person? Feel attraction? Sympathy? Confoundment? At the end of the day, it produced none of the above.
August 18, 2009
I found nothing interesting about this movie.
½ July 27, 2009
Best movie ever! this chick is off her head, must watch it.
Passenger1986
½ July 14, 2009
For all my displeasure at the Australian film industry for making pathetic film after pathetic film, I will acknowledge when we get off our arses and make something to be proud of (I'd liken it to putting a child's picture on the fridge but that seems patronizing somehow).
That's not to say this is the only Australian film I'm a fan of (The King and of course, The Castle help in that area) but it won me over quicker than either of those.

The film details the life of Katrina Skinner (Emily Barclay, who is able to play such a dark, repulsive woman despite little experience in film like she's turning a light switch on and off) and is also filmed in part like a "documentary" (I say it in air quotes since I don't want people thinking this is based on true events) about her, involving events towards the end of the film which I won't go into since it might spoil the movie.
Katrina's an uncontrollable, self-absorbed party girl with criminal tendencies... and a mother. Yep, that's an oil/water mixture right there. The mother part is important since over the film, many people ask her about her child and why she doesn't see her more often.
In short, she's a bogan. For overseas readers, bogan is Australia's counterpart to the USA's "trailer trash" and the UK's "chavs".

Despite my contempt for the character, I highly praise Emily Barclay for her performance. Still quite new to films, she has to carry a majority of this film and play someone so easy to hate and like I said, she pulls it off with ease. I wonder what surprises she'll pull out on us in the future, perhaps something to make this look like child's play.

Another high point of note for me is the music. Rock songs with female vocalists, most I'm familiar with and all welcome. Added bonus, most of them are Australian (Suzi Quatro being the most notable exception I care to make but hey, if I can hear 48 Crash, I'm not one to complain). During a scene in a shopping centre, the song Paco Doesn't Love Me by The Spazzys can be heard and later on in the film, we can hear Little Birdy's song This Is A Love Song. Australia may not be all that great in the film industry but when it comes to music, we've got a few aces up our sleeve.

I hope it's not too long before another Australian film overwhelms me like Suburban Mayhem. I still need to get the thoughts of The Book Of Revelation exorcised from my mind.
June 28, 2009
If you're going to spend 89 minutes with a wild animal, something about that character should engage or intrigue you. Nothing here does.
½ June 3, 2009
overrated but emily barclay is awesome
½ May 4, 2009
you feel drawn in by her accent and repulsed by her actions
April 23, 2009
wild girl wild car, wild life, wild side.
½ March 23, 2009
Interesting little aussie film with a dark edge
March 14, 2009
It dissapoints me that the only Australian films that seem to make it anywhere are either about criminals and bogans, or are overly sentimental mush about the poetry of the landscape. Suburban Mayhem is like a huge bogan cliche and draws attention to a topic that is overdone, uninteresting, and needs no further time spent on it. It's not sexy, it's not dark, it's not even funny, it's just mediocre.
February 24, 2009
Such a funny & trashy movie. Impossible to take all of this seriously but I had a good time watching it. Katrina: such a lovely girl!
February 16, 2009
I wouldn't put much emphasis on the comedy in this film but the main character's super intriguing, even though (or because) she's a psychopathic bitch. I don't know if the way things happen in the end is as cleverly written as it could've been but it's a nice (not the right word) concept and there's some wicked music here too.
½ January 29, 2009
terriblemente mal a como una historia que podrķa ser mera violencia e impacto visual termina siendo esta sandez?
½ January 9, 2009
This was alright.

The main character is GREATLY acted. She's a full-on character (no doubt straight blokes will enjoy seeing her storm around in her short outfits and long black boots!) The tale is based on actual events which is disturbing and is told in retrospect.

It has a bit of a kooky feel to it, especially the scenes of interviews.

The main scene is surprising and also horrible!

A pretty dark tale.

Emily Barclay is a stand-out.

;->
½ January 5, 2009
What utter utter utter shite.Whats with the hype about this movie.I wanted to kick the shite out of everybody in this film.Awful overrated pish.Australia you should be ashamed of yourself
November 19, 2008
Emily plays the crazy skank so well and manages to look like sex on legs while she does it
November 11, 2008
aichss es una lastima de peli tiene un argumento que podria ser soberbiamente sangriento y por ende muy divertido para mi pero no. es tan ramplona tan sonsa si Katrina es mala me hubiese gustado realmente verla ser mala ahahaha
August 25, 2008
Looks incredibly cheap and sleazy. Bingo!
August 25, 2008
Una pelicula con un buen humor negro!