Always - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Always Reviews

October 29, 2017
This is one of Spielberg's most underrated, and most unappreciated, films that was very ballsy in its emotion.
½ August 6, 2017
Rare ho-hum offering from Spielberg. Fire-fighting pilot dies in accident but his spirit helps his girlfriend and his replacement. Does pick up at the end.
½ June 7, 2017
Bloody awful stuff. Bloody hell! Why didn't anyone warn me??? Had to turn it off with half an hour to go. Just couldn't bare any more.
May 15, 2017
"Ohh this is good, I was rusty on panic" Is a line I enjoy a bit more then I should. This movie is my favorite movie for personal reasons, but is not the best movie by a mile. It is though one of the best movies ever, until about 45 minutes in, then the prior plot you find out is a subplot and it changes tones quick. But, I still love this movie!
½ April 25, 2017
a nice film about a daredevil firefighting pilot who dies trying to put out fires. His spirit lives on as he cannot say goodbye. He can only be set free if he helps his love move on.
March 19, 2017
Classic Spielberg and Dreyfuss
January 17, 2017
I love to watch anything with romance, comedy/tragedy, and the supernatural, and this has it all! Fabulous movie!
January 14, 2017
Not a bad film, Always is as well put together as one expects from Speilberg, but lacking in any real bite, there's far to little to engage with; little drama, a few amusing moments and some moving scenes but nothing that resonates strongly.
October 23, 2016
Easily one of Spielberg's worst movies. Everything here seems lazy, even John Williams' score. Probably for the best that it's been completely forgotten.
½ September 4, 2016
I had seen this once before but didn't remember it at all. It's generally considered one of Steven Spielberg's lesser efforts, but if you're in the right mood, it works. First of all, Dreyfuss, Goodman and Hunter are all outstanding in this, and they effective make what is a really sappy story work. I wasn't too keen on Brad Johnson, but he doesn't ruin it by any means. Now the real standout is the legendary Audrey Hepburn in her final film appearance, she completely lights up the screen with a star presence here unlike any I have seen, it really is something special in her all too brief scenes as a guardian angel. Worth a watch!
August 20, 2016
When you see a sentence that says "A Steven Spielberg Film", you know that the movie is going to be well-made. I was really into the story for a very long time. I cared about the characters and I enjoyed watching them interact with each other. What lost me, unfortunately, is the last 30 minutes of the film. The romance between Hunter and Johnson's characters came out of nowhere, and the final act just does not make any sense. It tries to move you and teaches you something about life, but it just comes off as melodramatic and too sentimental. The story itself feels dated as well. "Always" is not a bad film, but it is arguably one of Spielberg's weaker films. Its heart is in the right place, it's just I had hard time connecting to it.
July 10, 2016
Spielberg sentimentality, the Frank Capra-corn touch, moves me almost always. I love this film, the dreamy cinematography, the treatment of an angel on Earth, the building tension in the first act, it's all handled so magnificently and carefully. One of my favorite moments is when Dreyfuss realizes the old nutty hobo is like a radio to other dimensions, translating what he says in front of a firepit. John Goodman is intense, but the runaway performance is Holly Hunter, who is complex, sensitive, and a woman who really deals with the up and down trivial nature of her relationship to a daredevil, and it's inevitable conclusion. I never saw A Guy Named Joe, so I have no real reference to how this relates to Dalton Trumbo's work, but I am more than satisfied with this work.
½ June 18, 2016
Beautiful cinematography and great acting surrounding the story of a ghost following pilots around like a love-starved puppy.
June 12, 2016
I've seen this movie before, but it is non Netflix. A remake of "A Guy Named Joe" with Spencer Tracy with some of Stephen Spielberg's magic. Good date night movie. WWII bombers and he man fire fighters for the guys. Tearjerker love story for the gals. Perfect!
½ May 21, 2016
Soft, fluffy and weightless, this is lower tier Spielberg, just a bit above 1941 in the overall pantheon id say. But even lesser Spielberg is stronger than many directors best work, and there's much to like, from the gorgeous cinematography, to the really quite astonishing flying sequences, with miniature visual effects that seriously show up all this cg crap now, and the great cast. A very slight but warm, quite lovely little film.
½ May 17, 2016
Spielberg's remake of "A Guy Named Joe" unfortunately feels just like a remake, many of the earliest scenes easily telegraphing what is to come as predictably as ... well, as just about any old movie. With that in mind the cast doesn't do too badly, it simply feels like an also ran. It looks like one of Audrey Hepburn's last roles. She plays an angel. Coincidence?
½ May 5, 2016
"Always" is Spielberg at his schmaltziest and most uneven. It loses fuel before it even takes off.
½ May 3, 2016
A movie about romantic relationships where the only thing that feels real are the flying stunts.
April 12, 2016
Not sure what Spielberg was trying to do here. The film is cheesey as hell and it's just Richard Dreyfus constantly walking up to people and telling them what to do as a dead guy, mix in some really lame story about fighting fires...the whole thing's a mess.
February 5, 2016
Eh. Nothing special. Moving on.