Always - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Always Reviews

October 23, 2016
Easily one of Spielberg's worst movies. Everything here seems lazy, even John Williams' score. Probably for the best that it's been completely forgotten.
½ September 4, 2016
I had seen this once before but didn't remember it at all. It's generally considered one of Steven Spielberg's lesser efforts, but if you're in the right mood, it works. First of all, Dreyfuss, Goodman and Hunter are all outstanding in this, and they effective make what is a really sappy story work. I wasn't too keen on Brad Johnson, but he doesn't ruin it by any means. Now the real standout is the legendary Audrey Hepburn in her final film appearance, she completely lights up the screen with a star presence here unlike any I have seen, it really is something special in her all too brief scenes as a guardian angel. Worth a watch!
August 20, 2016
When you see a sentence that says "A Steven Spielberg Film", you know that the movie is going to be well-made. I was really into the story for a very long time. I cared about the characters and I enjoyed watching them interact with each other. What lost me, unfortunately, is the last 30 minutes of the film. The romance between Hunter and Johnson's characters came out of nowhere, and the final act just does not make any sense. It tries to move you and teaches you something about life, but it just comes off as melodramatic and too sentimental. The story itself feels dated as well. "Always" is not a bad film, but it is arguably one of Spielberg's weaker films. Its heart is in the right place, it's just I had hard time connecting to it.
July 10, 2016
Spielberg sentimentality, the Frank Capra-corn touch, moves me almost always. I love this film, the dreamy cinematography, the treatment of an angel on Earth, the building tension in the first act, it's all handled so magnificently and carefully. One of my favorite moments is when Dreyfuss realizes the old nutty hobo is like a radio to other dimensions, translating what he says in front of a firepit. John Goodman is intense, but the runaway performance is Holly Hunter, who is complex, sensitive, and a woman who really deals with the up and down trivial nature of her relationship to a daredevil, and it's inevitable conclusion. I never saw A Guy Named Joe, so I have no real reference to how this relates to Dalton Trumbo's work, but I am more than satisfied with this work.
½ June 18, 2016
Beautiful cinematography and great acting surrounding the story of a ghost following pilots around like a love-starved puppy.
June 12, 2016
I've seen this movie before, but it is non Netflix. A remake of "A Guy Named Joe" with Spencer Tracy with some of Stephen Spielberg's magic. Good date night movie. WWII bombers and he man fire fighters for the guys. Tearjerker love story for the gals. Perfect!
½ May 21, 2016
Soft, fluffy and weightless, this is lower tier Spielberg, just a bit above 1941 in the overall pantheon id say. But even lesser Spielberg is stronger than many directors best work, and there's much to like, from the gorgeous cinematography, to the really quite astonishing flying sequences, with miniature visual effects that seriously show up all this cg crap now, and the great cast. A very slight but warm, quite lovely little film.
½ May 17, 2016
Spielberg's remake of "A Guy Named Joe" unfortunately feels just like a remake, many of the earliest scenes easily telegraphing what is to come as predictably as ... well, as just about any old movie. With that in mind the cast doesn't do too badly, it simply feels like an also ran. It looks like one of Audrey Hepburn's last roles. She plays an angel. Coincidence?
½ May 5, 2016
"Always" is Spielberg at his schmaltziest and most uneven. It loses fuel before it even takes off.
½ May 3, 2016
A movie about romantic relationships where the only thing that feels real are the flying stunts.
April 12, 2016
Not sure what Spielberg was trying to do here. The film is cheesey as hell and it's just Richard Dreyfus constantly walking up to people and telling them what to do as a dead guy, mix in some really lame story about fighting fires...the whole thing's a mess.
½ February 20, 2016
Not a bad film, Always is as well put together as one expects from Speilberg, but lacking in any real bite, there's far to little to engage with; little drama, a few amusing moments and some moving scenes but nothing that resonates strongly.
February 5, 2016
Eh. Nothing special. Moving on.
October 7, 2015
A heartwarming drama, but slow moving and quite weak on the character development and setting. I recently heard its a remake of a 1943 film; A Guy Named Joe, while Spielberg himself decided not to treat it like that. Not an satisfying film overall but I think it's pretty watchable.
October 7, 2015
Spielberg's unique take on ghosts and the afterlife is maybe his most forgotten movie. This is a shame because, other than a third act that is pretty much awful all-around, the first 2/3s are super cute and effortlessly funny, bolstered by its affable cast (Dreyfus, Hunter, Goodman). A refreshingly small story with some nice big visuals and a lovingly romantic soul.
October 6, 2015
The characters are likable and the performances good, but when the story came to a close I felt no emotional impact. This is a film that means well, but the lack of on-screen chemistry between the leads, and the use of a done-to-death plot, keep it from being another Spielberg classic.
October 1, 2015
I remember seeing this awhile back. Pretty good
September 1, 2015
This seems like an odd movie for Spielberg, and I've seen 1941. Had he or the writer played with the rules of the movie, it could have been better.
August 28, 2015
This is a romantic drama by director Steven Spielberg. I am not pne that usually likes rom-coms, but this one is one of the few that I like. Sure it is cheesey and like most rom-coms it is predictable but enjoyable. Holly Hunter, John Goodman, and Richard Dreyfuss did a spectacular job and really make the movie. Spielberg did what you would expect from a director of his caliber, he was the glue that pulled this movie together, and made a very strong rom-com.
June 11, 2015
Spielberg's overly sappy side and a lack of control make this one of his lesser films, but Always is entertaining enough due to its lead performances, final action sequence, and the rarity of finding a film with a genuine heart to it.