Always Reviews

• Aug 22, 2019

Great chemistry between Richard Dreyfuss and Holly Hunter. It's actually the only time I can recall enjoying Holly Hunter. She is very lovable as the feisty, cute girlfriend of fire fighting pilot Richard Dreyfuss and she sparkled with exuberant, natural beauty in that white dress. Both gave powerfully touching and convincing performances, playing out the pain and complexities of their relationship with a sweetness and authenticity that drew tears from me more than once. The smoke jumper, fire fighting setting made a great platform for the movie. Awesome directing by Spielberg, with a great balance of humor and drama. Just love this movie!

• Oct 25, 2018

One of my favorites! So romantic but lots of comedy.

One of my favorites! So romantic but lots of comedy.

• Sep 04, 2018

This movie didn't really offer up anything new for this particular genre, and it has been done better, but it still has the occasional moment of Spielberg magic.

• Jul 18, 2018

Sappy, sweet, funny, old-fashioned ... why are these considered bad words? ALWAYS was a moving, entertaining film when it was released, and is still good on BD. For me, this was Spielberg returning to his sentimental roots that he displayed in THE SUGARLAND EXPRESS. Worth seeing.

• Mar 02, 2018

• Feb 27, 2018

It's incredibly sappy and hamfisted, but it's entertaining enough with a great cast. And some of the love scenes are genuinely moving.

• Jan 22, 2018

Always has a lot going for it, and you see all the pieces there for a classic romantic drama in the opening scenes. The cast is marvelous, I love Richard Dreyfuss and John Goodman in particular. The characters are set up well, and you care about them all. But then it shifts gears and the entire movie falls apart. It genuinely feels like they didn’t know what kind of movie they wanted to make or what was the most important story for them. For one thing, Brad Johnson lacks any charisma, and it seemed like they knew that so they put as little of him in the film as possible. But they already established him as important for the story, so he was still around and we’re supposed to be OK with him taking Dreyfuss’s place. The entire film would actually hold together better without the Brad Johnson character, and if it was more like the movie Ghost where Dreyfuss is simply trying to help Holly Hunter grow and move on. As structured it’s just a mess and falls apart. Even the final moments lose all their emotional resonance because they don’t know where to focus the story. Always isn’t a total disaster of a film, but it is deeply flawed and squanders what could have been something great.

• Aug 06, 2017

Rare ho-hum offering from Spielberg. Fire-fighting pilot dies in accident but his spirit helps his girlfriend and his replacement. Does pick up at the end.

• May 15, 2017

"Ohh this is good, I was rusty on panic" Is a line I enjoy a bit more then I should. This movie is my favorite movie for personal reasons, but is not the best movie by a mile. It is though one of the best movies ever, until about 45 minutes in, then the prior plot you find out is a subplot and it changes tones quick. But, I still love this movie!

• Apr 25, 2017

a nice film about a daredevil firefighting pilot who dies trying to put out fires. His spirit lives on as he cannot say goodbye. He can only be set free if he helps his love move on.