The Amateur - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Amateur Reviews

½ March 16, 2015
Ordinary man blackmails CIA to send him to Czecheslovakia to avenge terrorists who executed his girlfriend, only to be targeted by CIA after crossing enemy lines. Top notch Canadian cinema. Nominated for 10 Genie Awards, winning zero.
May 1, 2013
Tuesday, February 26, 2013

(1981) The Amateur
THRILLER

Based on a novel written by Robert Littell which starts out with a shocking beginning where some Chzech terrorists take control over a CIA office located in Germany for the purpose of an exchange of their lives for a release of one of their own, otherwise if their demands are not met within 1 hour then they will kill one hostage every 15 minutes. The higher ups think the terrorists are bluffing so they pick out a name at random out of a bunch of American passports and it happends to be this guys girlfriend, and she gets shot right on the head on front of tv stations and the German police authorities. The boyfriend who also happends to work for the CIA as well as a technition extracts revenge since the American gov't doesn't want to get involved about going for their capture. So decides to be a radical by becoming a vigilante by devising a plan to blackmail for the information for their whereabouts to do just that, but at the same time want to be professionally trained to do the job himself- hence the title "The Amateur" who is the star. Extremely dull thriller since the type casting is way off base but I manage to go through it by using the fast forward button on my remote control since if I were to sit through it- it would've bored me to hell. It is happens to be actionless using suspense instead which the fast forward button could handle as well. I agree with film critic Leonard Maltin review on the movie that the actors are type casted and so forth and that the acting is mediocre at best but it's worth watching if you want to see something that has never been done before.

2.5 out of 4 stars
August 7, 2010
Very good espionage film. Intelligent and has an honest feel throughout.
½ August 17, 2009
Considering the fact that I never heard of this movie I chose to give it a shot on cable today. I did'nt think it was any good. It was too boring, slow and uninteresting. I turned it off part way into it. It was'nt worth it at all.
February 13, 2009
I enjoyed the plot and the film had some interesting twists and turns but an incredibly lazy ending brought the whole film down several notches. Too bad...
April 10, 2005
:fresh: :fresh: :fresh: :fresh: :fresh: [font=Comic Sans MS][size=3]A petty cool revenge flick, with John Savage.[/size][/font]