Amazing Grace - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Amazing Grace Reviews

May 5, 2014
Poignant and impacting.
½ April 20, 2014
It's a typical depiction of the wrong of the slave trade. But amazing grace's powerful performances and heart pulling moments breathe life into one of America's greatest sins.
March 22, 2014
Different/A Little Funny/ Not Bad/ Just OK/ Kinda Liked.
March 21, 2014
Great anti-slavery movie. Great Christian movie. Great inspirational movie.

Just a great movie.
March 1, 2014
historical drama about William Wilberforce, a young member of British parliament who crusaded to end England's slave trade in the 18th century
February 26, 2014
I must confess I'm rather surprised by the reviews this movie received. I watched it today, and I was really offended by the largely inaccurate portrayal of Wilberforce. Firstly, Wilberforce never fought for equality, or the abolition of enslavement as such. He fought for the abolition of the Slave Trade - there is a big difference. Furthermore, we should always keep in mind Wilberforce's background - he was a staunch Evangelical church follower and his motivation behind the abolition of the Slave Trade was not driven by his increased and heightened drive for equality but rather as an act of penance, an act of humanitarianism. Furthermore, the movie is really one-sided in portraying WIllberforce as the only person responsible for the abolition of the slave-trade. It completely downplays African agency and resistance, which was also significant and important to keep in mind. Finally, it also downplays the importance of other considerations to abolish the slave-trade such as economic considerations, which were far more important than Willberforce's campaigns. This is just my view as a student studying the slave trade.
December 30, 2013
This movie is very powerful. It is a pity it didn't get more publicity.
½ December 14, 2013
I found myself incredibly bored halfway through the movie. :(
November 30, 2013
wow finally a christian movie critics love.
November 5, 2013
One of my favorite movies. Glorifies Jesus and shows the scale of his plans.
November 5, 2013
This historical biopic about a British politician determined to abolish slavery in the British empire proves to be at times emotional and always passionate. The politics behind the abolitionist movement makes for fantastic history but the films real value is in its heart and its tribute to the few men who were morally ahead of there time.
October 26, 2013
Incredibly log film. Took me 3 weeks to watch. However, it is a part of history we in the twenty first century should be aware of.
October 21, 2013
Religious biopics are rarely this good.
September 28, 2013
Strong characterization gives strength to the plot as its wretchedness of subject demands. Your heart will be with William during his pain and struggle to change that wretched beast, The British Empire. Beautiful period drama made more so by its honorable calling, may we never forget. Nibbles: Roast Pheasant.
September 16, 2013
Powerful period work, a story that does not get enough recognition. An all around beautiful movie.
September 16, 2013
A amazing film that tells the amazing true story of William Wilberforce, the man who founded the RPSCA and let Britain to abolishing slavery. Ioan Gruffudd is captivating as Wilberforce bringing a sense of humor and grace to a difficult role. Benedict Cumberbatch is on great form too, as Prime Minister Pitt the Younger. Also wonder ful is Romola Garai as Wilberforce loving wife and Toby Jones, Michael Gambon, Toby Jones Rufus Sewell and alber Finney are all marvellous.
August 6, 2013
The story of William Wilberforce was long overdue for a screen adaptation and we have great performances by Gruffudd, Cumberbatch, Gambon and Finney. The issue is how it is presented. It is melodramatic when it doesn't need to be. The story itself is compelling without the over the top scenes and horrible soundtrack.
½ July 21, 2013
An amazing story of Amazing Grace.
July 16, 2013
What an amazing historical piece! My regret was not being able to watch this earlier. This film is about the fight of William Wilberforce to abolish British slavery in the early 18th Century. Ioan Gruffudd as Wilberforce is believable, complimented by an amazing casts like Albert Finney.The beautiful song Amazing Grace has long been one of my favorite songs, hearing and singing it in church during my younger years
July 16, 2013
wow what a movie.....i have just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch.....its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie......i think that ioan gruffudd, romola garai, benedict cumberbatch, albert finney, michael gambon, rufus sewell, youssou n dour, ciaran hinds, toby jones, bill paterson, play good roles/parts throughout this movie......i think that the director of this mystery/suspense/drama movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie........i think that this is such a really well directed movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie.......i think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch.......i think that michael gambon/ioan gruffudd were absolutley brilliant throughout this movie.....i think that this is a really well told story......i think that this is an absolutley superb movie 2 watch.......i think that this is so really well directed its got a great cast throughout this movie........i think that benedict cumberbatch/albert finney were absolutley brilliant throughout this movie.........i think that this is so really well directed movie its got a great cast throuhgout this movie.........i think that this is so really well made, i think that this is an exellent movie 2 watch it is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch its got a fantastic cast throughout this movie.....i think that this is so really well directed its got a great cast throughout this movie......YOU HAVE TO WATCH THE START AT THE END OF THE CREDITS FOR THIS MOVIE AS IT TELLS YOU WHAT HAPPENED.....i think that this is a fantastic movie 2 watch with a great cast throughout this movie its just a brilliant movie 2 watch with a great cast throughout this movie