Ober (Waiter) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ober (Waiter) Reviews

½ August 9, 2015
Not completely original but it's fairly amusing.
½ June 16, 2012
Um emprego ordinário em um restaurante arruinado, uma esposa cronicamente doente, os vizinhos anti-sociais e um caso extraconjugal que oferece pouco mais do que gratificação sexual. O garçom fictício Edgar tem 50 anos e já teve o suficiente pela sua existência miserável. Ele almeja escapar do seu casamento, quer uma namorada nova, anseia novos vizinhos e está cansado de ser tratado como um capacho por seus clientes. Mas Edgar está prestes a descobrir pelo caminho mais difícil que sua vida é verdadeiramente mais estranha do que a ficção.
August 5, 2011
A fun little movie by one of the most acclaimed Dutch directors.
This dark comedy has some well written characters in awkward positions, guaranteeing a laugh or two. However, the intelligent twist in the plot is not as satisfying as it could have been.
January 15, 2011
Writers strive for conflict in their stories to induce excitement and interest for the audience. But what about the story's hapless protagonist who has to wallow in unrelenting misery? Doesn't he have a say on how he wants his story to be? Ober playfully delivers this dichotomy and finally gives a voice to the protagonist, right up until the pat ending.
May 14, 2010
Abstract movie...
September 3, 2009
Deze surrealistische tragikomedie is vintage van Warmerdam. Gestyleerd, prachtig kleurenpalet, interessante soundtrack, tegelijk komisch en intriest. De Takeshi Kitano van de lage landen.
June 12, 2009
A weirdly entertaining movie, this one ... rather quirky but strangely engrossing. If only Hollywood could make weird little movies like that ...
½ March 15, 2009
2007 Seattle International Film Festival
½ March 9, 2009
simplement magnifique ça fait longtemps que je n'ai pas vu un film comme celui ci, et croyez moi il en vaut vraiment la peine :)
February 7, 2009
Strange, odd, yet appealing movie. Kept ones attention even though the content was depressing and sad. I kept hoping things would get better for this individual, and could not believe how bad things could get. One person called it quirky, it is indeed. Well worth the rent.
January 18, 2009
A strangely bizarre storyline that takes the most unusual curves. Quirky and different define the mood. Strangely paced and oddly stereotypical at some points, it isn't for everyone. Still though it's well acted and you can't help but wonder what the ending is going to be. It's for those of you who like offbeat films.
½ September 23, 2008
Idea is funny - a tad like Stranger Than Fiction but more believable - but drags on forever. Didn't finish watching it...
September 13, 2008
Truely has to be seen to be believed. This is one weird dutch movie. It made me laugh so hard.
½ September 1, 2008
Enojyed it ....... characters in a novel are unhappy with their lives and beseetch the authour to write a life for them that's better....
August 3, 2008
New ideas! Great plot!
½ July 14, 2008
Somewhere between witty and ridiculous. Worth seeing. More so if you speak Dutch, I'd imagine a lot was lost in translation.
June 29, 2008
Best movie I've seen in a long time. Superbly written and acted. This is not just another "quirky, dark European comedy" -- it really is in a class to itself.
½ June 1, 2008
An interesting idea, not new, but newish to me. Sadly the pacing seemed to fall flat about half way through, and the story didn't really explore the writer/character interaction as deeply as I would have liked. The ending was neat but the "it was all in the writer's head" idea didn't feel all that convincing.
½ May 29, 2008
I'm not really sure how I feel about this one. I think I need to see it again. Alex van Warmerdam is really interesting to watch but I'm not sure I understand the story. It's working in "Adaptation" territory for sure.
May 1, 2008
Hahaha, even for a dutch movie this movie is weird. I liked it, although at the end of the movie it's nothing more than amusement (odd amusement I know).