It's a Boy Girl Thing - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

It's a Boy Girl Thing Reviews

May 15, 2017
how do i watch the movie?
½ May 8, 2017
Body swap movies are, conceptually speaking, almost as old as time itself. Hell, I just finished watching a South Korean web series on Netflix around 2 weeks ago that made use of this concept. It was called The Miracle and, honestly, it wasn't a very good show. The romance was kind of awful and the characters were poorly developed. Granted, the show had 12 episodes and none went more than 17 minutes (some even went as few as 10 which, with credits, is like 9-ish minutes), so I shouldn't have expected anything in the way of actual character development. The point is that there's so many movies about this subject. The Change-Up, The Hot Chick, Freaky Friday (both of them), 18 Again, among many, many others. It's not a new concept and it'll never be a new concept ever again. The point of this all is if you're looking for something different from the body swap genre, then this really isn't the movie for you. Then again, how many fresh angles can you find in a genre that's so limited? Having said all of that, in spite of everything and its lack of originality, this movie is perfectly decent all things considered. It was considerably better than I could have reasonably expected. The reason I chose this movie was because I wanted to watch something goofy. Something that wouldn't require much though process in order to comprehend its plot. Those movies are great too, don't get me wrong, but, as I've always argued, movies like this just need to exist. Something that's just light and silly. In all honesty, given the concept and the era that it was released in, not to mention the fact that I have no recollection of ever seeing this movie promoted on television, I wasn't expecting much. It's not like I can say that this was a pleasant surprise, because that'd imply it's good, but it's certainly better than it seems on paper. Perhaps the old 'guy switching bodies with girl in order to see how high school is from her perspective' approach is a little outdated in this day and age. 13 Reasons Why, at least to me, changed the approach on that and, quite frankly, this movie handles this touchy subject with kid gloves. And, really, there's nothing else they could have done, as they wanted to keep this movie from getting too heavy. So I get that, but it's hard not to compare the more serious approach to this one. But that's neither here nor there. This movie pretty much goes to all the places you would expect. Nell and Woody have trouble adjusting to their new bodies. Nell struggles with Woody's daily morning wood. Woody deals with having tits. It's the basic, usual stuff that you've seen before and will, very likely, see again. But, really, the movie can be entertaining in a manner that's befitting this type of movie. It's not great shakes, nor is there any deep metaphor at play here (or maybe there is). This isn't gonna be confused with a comedic, satirical masterpiece like Dr. Strangelove. But I think it gets by as an average movie simply because the performances are more than solid. Kevin Zegers, whose career just sort of went nowhere since we already have Zac Efron, was pretty good in his role here. I'd be lying if I said his performance didn't give me a few chuckles. Samaire Armstrong, I've never seen her before this movie, was actually really good in her role as well. They just had good chemistry with each other and, realistically speaking, that's all that's required in this type of movie. Well that and a good enough script to take that chemistry and craft a good movie out of it. This movie, admittedly, falls short of that. Not to mention the fact that it falls into every teen romance cliche in the world. That keeps the movie from reaching a good level, at least to me. And, realistically speaking, this is every high school movie ever made. That's not saying that it's a bad movie, which it's not, it's just that it really doesn't have its own identity. Which is sort of ironic, considering that being a teenager is all about figuring out who you are as a human being. From your personality, to your tastes, to your beliefs. This movie certainly doesn't reflect its demographic's thoughts. Don't know how I got on that tangent, it's really irrelevant in the long run. Don't have much else to say, the film is predictable and fairly cliched, but it's still a perfectly decent movie to watch if you want something that's easily digestible. Can't say I'd recommend this, but you could do far worse. You shouldn't go out of your way to watch this, it's only decent, it's not the next coming of Citizen Kane.
½ April 6, 2017
Ironically I could easily guess the gender of the writer who is clearly male and has outdated stereotypical views of women not remotely resembling reality. Clearly the writer does not understand women to the point of it being laughable in a bad way. Toward the middle of the movie I had to get out of it and watch something else because I couldn't bear it any longer. Next time he should ask a woman to help him with the female perspective when writing a movie about boys and girls switching bodies because clearly he has never switch bodies himself.
March 6, 2017
Surprisingly heartfelt.
½ January 10, 2017
A body swapping thing again, we think Deja vu! But not so much... I liked it and laughed too!
Un changement de corps, on se dit déjà vu ! Mais pas tant que ça... J'ai bien aimé et bien ri !
½ November 3, 2016
I thought this will be another cheesy movie but the lead actors were so good in their reversed roles! Surprisingly nice, funny, and sweet movie!
½ August 26, 2016
This has to be the most misogynistic sexist piece of shit I've ever subjected myself to. Thanks for the worst 27 minutes of my life.
August 18, 2016
Normally I'd give this movie four stars, but I'm giving it five instead to counteract some of the negative ratings it has received. This is an excellent movie in its genre!! It's never boring and at times it's touching and clever. One cares about the characters, and it's quite funny throughout. I think critics are so frequently afraid of looking stupid when rating movies that they give low ratings based on budget or the fact that the actors/directors are not "A-listers". Of course that's well stupid -- movies should be judged on their entertainment value, and the quality of the filmmakers / performers efforts, not on their budgets. So five stars for the genre of teen comedy, and four stars as a film overall. Everyone in our household really enjoyed it -- I really recommend it!!
August 16, 2016
Insert standard body swap formula, mild hilarity ensues.
July 1, 2016
A breezy sugary-sweet teen romantic comedy that's far more charming than it should be. There are moments that suggest this was reaching for something deeper and although these moments are fleeting, it still adds minor depth to familiarity.
March 31, 2016
If not for some of the inappropriate humor it might have been a really sweet movie. It was certainly watchable and entertaining, but it was also unnecessarily dumbed-down. (First and only viewing - 3/9/2016)
January 16, 2016
It's a teen body swap movie so tell the plot line, two people don't like each other, they switch bodies, more fighting, and in the end they appreciate the other person. Add that formula to the old romcom cliche, you have this movie. The jokes did not hit very well and the side characters were some of the most boring that you could ever see. Strangely enough I didn't hate this film as much as I thought I was going to when I started it. When the switch happened the acting from the two main actors got so much better. The real reason I liked it is because of Samaire Armstrong, she just hit all the right notes even through this boring script.
Overall it doesn't add much to this dead horse of a formula, but the acting is at some points good enough to keep you invested.
½ January 4, 2016
a fantastic tale of two very different people swapping bodies to deal with teenage life in akward and diffecult situations from getting into yale to attempting to not lose the other ones virginity!! Yeah the Yale situation and the big football game is too cheesy but that's the fun it adds drama in it, followed by a brill finale with the couple kissing under moonlight with "high" by James Blunt is being played, just a real treat from start to END!!!!!!!
½ October 26, 2015
The story is very predictable. The characters don't create strong impact. The fight, which every romcom has just before the happy ending, here is not sharp. Heroine is very cute, especially as the guy. Keeping all aside I enjoyed the light pace of the movie with occasional chuckles and feel good at the end.
August 6, 2015
It's awful with bad writing scenes that don't even make sense and a surprising serious moment at the end.
June 16, 2015
Soooo cliche but I liked it none the less
½ June 5, 2015
Dumb teen comedy meets cliched body switching plot in "It's Boy Girl Thing."
½ March 30, 2015
Basically like Freaky Friday and the Hot Chick... It was still an enjoyable movie to watch
October 12, 2014
Sweet and funny...:)
June 29, 2014
quite good if you get into it i guess!