Interview - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Interview Reviews

November 25, 2011
whose afraid of virginia woolf but with Steve Buscemi. whats not to like?
November 13, 2011
reasonable but should been a short film
November 10, 2011
One of the best films I've ever seen!
November 2, 2011
Films that are based solely around a conversation between a small number of characters are often completely excellent. An intimate, dialog driven flick usually has more to offer than an epic that spans time and distance. The focus on detail and character tends to be a good recipe for smart and emotionally compelling storytelling.

‚Interview‚? is definitely such a movie; it is in its totality all about a conversation between a cynical reporter and a young and beautiful Hollywood star; their differing views on life the source of conflict and hence drama. When the two characters are played by Steve Buscemi and Sienna Miller, success would seem to be guaranteed.

The movie ends up being hit and miss. Buscemi and Miller are indeed excellent, and the tone of the film is nicely low key, but the script is surprisingly weak. When the whole piece is essentially a conversation, one would expect the conversation to be insightful and fresh. Three writers are credited, and that may be a few too many. Clich√ (C)s are strongly present in the dialog, and the points the two characters make about art, creativity and gender are for a too large part way too obvious and uninspired.

Still, as a whole the tone and especially acting compensate for the most important aspect surprisingly well. I‚(TM)m glad I didn‚(TM)t get to just read the script, but got Buscemi‚(TM)s delicate direction and his nuanced performance with equally controlled Miller to carry even the hollow parts of writing.
September 26, 2011
An interesting little movie, not amazing but not bad :)
½ September 15, 2011
Not a bad directorial effort from Buscemi. It starts of with more promise than it ultimately delivers upon.

The characters aren't that likable, the dialogue just weird and the way they kept switching topics and being all touchy feely with each other doesn't feel real and thus pulls you out of the film's reality a bit at times.

The twist is SO bloody obvious, given her profession and the film's opening, which ruins things a tad.

It's a good exercise in not judging a book by its cover, but a film that never truly finds its feet overall.
July 24, 2011
Good two-person drama. Lovely.
½ June 25, 2011
It passed the time. Believe it or not I'd never heard of Sienna Miller until the phone hacking scandal. She was pretty (and) good in her part. Steve Buscemi is always good. Far too predictable but never dull.

I'd have been really pissed off though if I'd had to pay to watch it.
May 10, 2011
haha.. the longest interview I've watched..
but in the end, it's a twist!
½ May 2, 2011
Más interesante de lo que parecía.
April 30, 2011
This movie desperately wants to be a tightly-written two-person dramatic piece. It brings to mind Sleuth or Bug. However, playwrights Anthony Shaffer and Tracy Letts knew how to write tense, succinct, contained drama. This one is absolute nonsense. I found myself laughing at the dramatic moments and rolling my eyes at the comedic ones. There are moments where I caught a glimpse of what the original could have been. (Apparently it's a remake of a Dutch movie, which I will have to keep an eye out for.) It's a wonderful premise, but Miller and Buscemi play it like some sort of insane melodrama. I never had any idea who their characters actually were or what they wanted, and they spoke their lines and performed their blocking like it was exactly that: lines and blocking. Not since The Boy In the Striped Pajamas have I so desperately wanted to love a movie and ended up hating it so much.
April 25, 2011
Really terrific first hour of banter, but it faltered a lot in the last twenty minutes or so. It got way too melodramatic. Not to mention the twist is pretty much obvious from very near the beginning of the movie. Sienna Miller proves she can be a terrific actor (for the most part) when she wants to be and Steve Buscemi does a pretty good job as the director here. A very entertaining movie, if nothing else.
½ April 25, 2011
I think Buscemi should stick to acting.
½ March 10, 2011
Dialogue and chemistry and we got an interesting film.
February 20, 2011
Two gifted actors at their very best. It's Steve Buscemi Vs Sienna Miller in a ultimate game of intrigue and deception.
½ January 25, 2011
i liked this a lot, so many unanswered questions at the end too! and steve buscemi is just so fantastic.
cosmo313
January 16, 2011
The characters are not very likable, but they are never boring, and are quite fascinating. The dialogue is well-written, very biting, and makes for some really good battles of wit and ego. Buscemi (Who stars, directs, and co-wrote the script) is fantastic as the frustrated, bitter journalist with skeletons in his closet. He's my favorite actor, and I love him as a director, but it's Sienna Miller who really amazes me here. She is excellent as the vapid, manipulative starlet who has a lot more depth to her, and is smarter than she leads on. This is a good movie, but it would be amazing and much better off as a stage play.
January 2, 2011
I have marked this as "not interested", although I did, in fact, watch the first 25 minutes or so, then flicked ahead to the final 10 minutes, to see the "twist" ending I had read about.
I have had this one sitting around for well over a year unwatched, and decided finally to put it on. Wow. Now I see how I waited so long, and I wish I'd gone one step further and never brought in the house to start with!
It's rare for me to see an indie movie and be so totally bored by it. I expected something better from Steve Buscemi. Sienna Miller I never really rated to start with, so I guess it was obvious I would not care about her vapid actress character either. Honestly these are the two most boring people in a film and you are expected to sit and watch them exclusively for 80 minutes. That is a short running time, but believe me, it doesn't feel short. 25 minutes of it did not feel short. I am glad I skipped ahead rather than waste my time, though I honestly I could have more constructively just jumped on IMDB and read the spoilers. That would have gained me an additional 10 minutes back of my life.
This story does not ring true in any way. Avoid it. Don't say I didn't warn you...
½ January 1, 2011
it dragged, would have been better as a short(er) film. love steve buscemi though
December 11, 2010
Not a bad movie per se, but somehow I felt a bit let down, I guess my expectations were high based on the ratings and that it was directed by Steve Buscemi. Perhaps the problem is that Buscemi was trying to imitate Theo van Gogh down to even ordering the same digital cameras that he was using from Europe, and using his original film crew. What worked for one director doesn't necessarily work for another.