American Anthem - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

American Anthem Reviews

March 16, 2016
If you're into bad movies, this one is a must see.
½ September 28, 2014
"American Anthem" es una película cursi sobre un gimnasta que lucha contra todos los obstáculos para lograr su sueño. Como actor, Mitch Gaylord es un buen gimnasta. El director de "Purple Rain", Albert Magnoli, sepulta en este video-clip convertido en película su carrera. Solo en los 80.
½ March 17, 2013
How can you help yourself from loving the 80s cheese of Mitch Gaylord and Janet Jones? The routines are great!
½ October 27, 2012
I lost count how many times Mitch Gaylord's character quit something. Gymnastics epic was perhaps inspired by Mary Lou Retton's 1984 success. Only one competing gymnast appears to be around 14 years old - the normal age for top gymnasts.
May 26, 2010
Most folkes say this movie was predictable, and awful, however, i loved it. I can no longer see it, because they never made a DVD.Steve and julie make the screen sizzle, and the Coach turned in an amazing performance. I am Lobbing the powers that be to Release this on DVD.. help!!!!!
½ April 21, 2010
Wd about this man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
½ February 12, 2010
May 18, 2009
Another movie that is kind of crap but I like some of it.
½ April 5, 2009
Gymnast with habit of quitting gives it one more shot and ignores father's wish to work in a garage. Janet Jones, meanwhile, struggles to find the right music for her routine. Far more inspirational than Kerri Strug's Olympic vault.
½ March 27, 2009
I was never into gymnastics but when I saw this movie , I fell in love with the movie. One of the songs just kept on playing in my head. It was a typical 80's song...a power ballard. It was called Two Hearts.
It was funny to mention that the actor who plays Steve Tevere's (Mitch Gaylord) father plays the father of Uncle Jesse on Full House. Along with Mrs. Wayne Gretzky and the Soviet coach from Rocky IV who interestingly plays the American coach for the local gymnastics team.

Rick Tocchet did NOT bet on the ending of this movie.
November 13, 2008
love movies about gymnastics coupled with a mini love story
October 31, 2008
One of my favorite 80's movies.
October 30, 2008
I can personally relate to this movie because I went through the same thing Steve Trevere went through but in a different sport! The Soundtrack has such artists as: John Parr, Stevie Nicks, Andy Taylor, Mr. Mister, Graham Nash and Inxs!
September 19, 2008
Loved this movie, still do. I remember HAVING to watch it the night before a competition. Even though any amateur gymnast can tell you each and every detail that was NOT correct in the movie, there was so much to like in it you could look past the flaws. I was a gymnast for 20 years, and each time I watch it brings back memories :)
September 8, 2008
I'm sorry ... I can't take this seriously.
½ July 14, 2008
when USA Gymnastics was at its peak, hollywood totally cashed in! or at least they tried to. This movie had high entertainment value. Classic 80's flick and a fun watch. No award-winner by any means, but good entertainment if you're in the mood.
June 18, 2008
Very formula but entertaining none-the-less. Janet Jones... YUMMY
½ June 14, 2008
Mitch was hot back in the day and there is some great gymnastics in this cheesey flick.
June 13, 2008
Wow, what a blast from the past this movie is. I haven't seen it in years but remember loving it back in the 80's...or maybe loving the lead male. It's a toss up. :) I wish this was on dvd.