Save Me - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Save Me Reviews

November 3, 2015
confused on this description. trailer, actors listed and summary say it's a different movie with the same name but the pictures are from a completely different movie. either way... this is still my rating for "this" movie. the one with Chad Allen & Judith Light, NOT with Hamlin.
October 22, 2015
The image attached here is for the 2007 movie also called Save Me.
September 30, 2014
Very engrossing drama, very touching. I believe that people who promote gay conversion therapy (Christian-based or otherwise) are very misguided, but this movie had me recognizing the warmth, genuineness, playfulness, and fierce attentiveness you can find in the church if you are open to it. Why a Christian would want to waste time on such irrelevant details as orientation, I don't know. Wonderful movie...Judith Light is off-the-charts brilliant in her role.
½ April 28, 2014
Wonderfully nuanced and tender study of a sincere and gentle faith-based program to "pray away the gay" which suggests both why it works to some extent with some of the brothers, while doing unwittingly doing (yet more) violence to those who cannot change who they are. Highly reccommended.
August 16, 2013
Such a powerful movie. Cried and cried. And it had that beautiful man, Robert Gant in it. Whew I forgot how hot that man is!
July 21, 2013
amazing movie that doesn't take sides or make Christianity sound bad but shows that even christians can be accepting if they just understand that gay or not we are all gods children. (I'm not religious fyi) the movie should have and was supposed to be played at century theater in Chicago but due to giving this responsibility and way over paying for this responsibility, it got mishandled and ended up in poor theaters with little traffic compared to century theater
May 29, 2013
Sad.... divided world...
May 8, 2013
What's interesting about Save Me is that in a cliche battle between homosexuality and religion, director Robert Cary takes a surprisingly unique approach where neither wins and neither loses.
December 26, 2012
Chad Allen, Robert Gant and Judith Light were all great in this movie. It's not just another "gay reprogramming retreat" movie. This movie has a lot of heart and you feel for each of the main characters.
½ October 20, 2012
The info given for this movie here on Flixster is entirely wrong. Nonetheless, what it really is is worth watching, definitely. I didn't finish the movie, due to it being too late and my tendency to want to run these days whenever almost any commercial comes on. But I saw I think half of it, around there, and it was definitely around an hour-ish that I would not ask for back. You should watch at least that much if not the whole thing. It's really really damn good, from what I saw.
½ October 18, 2012
A story of a Christian run ministry and their work to convert gay people. I honestly didn't have high hopes for this film but Save Me turned out to be quite an evocative and enlightening film. Surprisingly the acting was pretty decent and the movie had a good level of depth.
April 5, 2012
A decent indie drama that puts you into the mind of its characters and offers insight with subtle power.
½ January 24, 2012
Save Me is a movie that's worth seeing once but not necessarily again. It provide a message usually unseen in anything sympathizing with homosexuality and/or evangelical Christianity.
January 8, 2012
December 18, 2011
Incredible film that touched me more than any other gay film I've seen...
½ October 15, 2011
A bit melodramatic, but I am glad this is a more mature version of But I'm a cheerleader. I love it
½ August 13, 2011
Despite what some have said in their reviews of "Save Me," I found this film to be profoundly moving and deeply layered. It could have been an over the top expose of a dangerous Exodus-like house, but instead it reveals the WHY: why do some people feel compelled to live with self-hatred, and why do some people facilitate that internalized loathing? Judith Light astounds with her performance. Light, a staunch supporter of gay liberation, never once portrayed her character with anything but understanding and truth. And Chad Allen has become one of the finest actors working today. For anyone who has ever been told their desires are wrong, this film will probably affect you as much as it did me. I recommend it HIGHLY.
½ July 25, 2011
Chad Allen from Dr Quinn what!?!
½ July 19, 2011
I'm on the fence with this film. While I think the core idea is good--God loves everyone, even Gays, because Love is Love--I think the filmmaker had too many subplots going on to execute the main idea effectively. The premise is a young man is sent to a Christian Reprograming Institution to brainwash him with Christ to be straight. I seriously despise such programs because they teach people to hate themselves and also twist Biblical texts to suit their biased homophobic views. At the facility, the program leader is conflicted because her son was gay and he died, and since then she has chosen to blame his homosexuality for his death. I see her twisted viewpoint, but I don't understand how a mother could hate her kid for being who they were born to be. I also don't understand how people can manipulate religion to fit their own agendas--the program leader clearly differed her grief over the loss of her child to being a crusade against what she assumed to be the reason for his death. It boggles my mind the extent certain "religious" people will go to to hate others. Like the movie's main theme states: Love is Love. I think this film has to be viewed twice to really understand how some of the subplots play into the main story of the young man and the program leader. I feel Judith Light's performance stood out more than the lead character played by Chad Allen--he didn't hold my interest as much as she did. Perhaps a stronger male actor would have worked better alongside Light. Definitely a deep and thought-provoking film, it's a film worth seeing for its message.
July 19, 2011
Mark is sent to the Genesis House by his brother after his neardeath experience due to an overdose. the Genesis House is a place gay men go to or are sent to to "cure them of their gay" by the power of Jesus Christ and the love of God. Gayle runs the house with her husband Ted, Ted use to be gay. While at the house Mark meets Scott and the two quickly become friends. Both try to fight the attraction they have between them because they want to be cured. But then they both discover that being gay isn't a sin and they won't go to hell for loving one another. Two thumbs up to this movie.