The Happening Reviews

• 2h ago

Mark Wahlberg tries to be a science teacher; he fails. He talks to a plant; it fails. Wahlberg and Zooey Deschanel attempt to make a convincing couple; they fail. The movie tries to build suspense and scares; it fails. This whole movie is just a boatload of fail. UnIntentionally hilariously awful.

• 4d ago

I watched this with my brothers when it came out and until this day I remember how stupid it was. Like the whole audience was laughing throughout the movie and I'm pretty sure it wasn't supposed to be funny 😅

• May 27, 2019

Mark Wahlberg, John Leguizamo and Zoey Deschanel are wonderful actors and the Director, M. Night Shyamalan has directed fantastic movies; this is not a movie worthy of such talent. The plot line could have made for an amazing lead; however, I'm not sure if it's the script or the director who created such a strange, unconnected and contradictory film! Wahlberg appears to be a savant biology teacher (he often says the most insanely naive and non scientific hypothesis and some pretty crappy lines. His response to the "dessert date" of his wife is something a 12 year old might have said! Deschanel appears to have been affected by this "thing" from the get go since her lines and acting is so confusing and muddled it makes you dislike her character from her first appearance. You keep waiting for some reason to care for these people, yet the script never allows you that luxury. About 40 minutes into the movie (I truly don't know how I lasted that long!) it became more of a voyeuristic urge to watch this train wreck than any curiosity or vested interest in the film. This movie is not deserving of the star power it wasted. Perhaps it will become a cult classic, like Plan Nine, but I doubt it will even rise to that level! Don't get caught in the deer in the headlights hour and half you need to watch this moving!

• May 26, 2019

Brilliant concept! Horrible dialog. Waiting for a remake...

Brilliant concept! Horrible dialog. Waiting for a remake...

• Apr 21, 2019

Tense, exciting and compelling, packed with amazing performances and visual thrills, The Happening is easily Shyamalan at his very best. His directorial debut, The Sixth Sense pales in comparison to this masterpiece. Can't believe it has such a low approval rating.

• Apr 09, 2019

The Happening has a premise that seems reasonable on paper, too bad that it unravels really quickly. The story was incoherent, the acting was irritatingly dreadful just like the script, the directing was messy, and its not scary in the slightest of margins. Actually, its hilarious at how bad this movie is. With an ending/twist which evolves around plants making people commit suicide. WOW! A new low for the once promising director.

• Apr 07, 2019

the wallmart version of a "stephen king themed" movie imo. also why is mark wahlberg so bad in this? he is an amazing actor but I just wasn't feeling it in this film at all...

• Apr 06, 2019

Seeing people kill themselves...wild....plot eh. I guess we should take care of the planet before I start talking about calculus

• Mar 25, 2019

I love this movie. I've seen it twice. It's like an extended movie version of a twilight zone episode. Mark Wahlberg and Zooey Deschanel are watchable for me in everything they do. I'm sure it had flaws as a major movie release, but I honestly was creeped out and had to look away at times. I just really enjoyed this movie!

• Mar 22, 2019

I always thought the happening got a bad rap, until today. I just came to realize, I have never finished the movie. I always assumed everyone died, but now watching mark Wahlberg watching the girl take off in the school bus everything is the same except the girl can't talk now and the TV sums up why it happened. The scene of them watching TV is such a cop out. And I realized that they set it up for a sequel. Unfortunately if that were to happen, none of these actors will be in it guaranteed.