Waterloo Bridge - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Waterloo Bridge Reviews

August 21, 2015
Great performance by Mae Clark in a very early talkie. The film is not groundbreaking, but has surprisingly held up well, and is rather emotionally relevant.
August 20, 2015
i really like this pre-code version of this also has a brief part for bette davis see if u can spot her.
March 21, 2013
Films of the same ilk: Sweet Charity, Le Notti di Cabiria (Nights of Cabiria) Following narratives of the fallen women who seeks redemption through marriage. However, this film subverts the prototype with a sympathetic consideration of its characters.
November 12, 2012
Whale's first film for Universal includes some subject matter that was pretty risque for its time frame. It's all a bit dated now, of course, but it's still a pretty engaging picture.
½ May 21, 2012
The guy who played Roy (Kent Douglass) was ridiculous, but the rest of the cast was convincing. Fallen woman in London, where bombs are also falling from Zeppelins. Will she say yes and marry the impulsive soldier (Roy)? Not bad. Better if Roy had been played by someone more believable.
½ October 26, 2010
This is one of those annoying romantic dramas where they go back and forth trying to figure out if they can make their relationship work, and it gets annoying. Plus the ending is sad and kind of made me mad about watching the movie. The movie wasn't that bad, though, the story was realistic and the actors were pretty good.
Harlequin68
½ December 8, 2009
"Waterloo Bridge" is a tepid soap opera about Myra(Mae Clarke), a dancer who has fallen on tough times. It has been two years since she was in a show, three weeks since she paid her rent and she has turned to prostitution to make ends meet in World War I London. During one trip to solicit clientele, she helps an old woman(Rita Carlisle) retrieve her dropped potatoes during an air raid. They in turn are helped by Ray Cronin(Kent Douglass), a fellow American and a soldier on leave. Basically, the substance of the movie revolves around Myra wondering if she is good enough for him whereas the question should be if he actually loves her or is he just nice? Anyway, this sort of thing gets old quickly and there is little else to keep the viewer interested except for the sight of a pre-stardom Bette Davis.
September 15, 2009
An amazing film from director James Whale pre-Frankenstein. Mae Clarke probably has her best role and she is great in this movie. Douglass Montgomery is great as a naive young soldier and the quick appearence from Bette Davis caught me pleasantly suprised! A great story doesnt hurt this from being a nearly lost classic. Seek this one out because it is a really great film for it's time and all times! James Whale is one of my favorite directors of the era he made classics in several genres and made movies on his own terms! Great Movie!
April 16, 2009
A pretty good melodrama set against the start of WWII, Mae Clarke and Kent Douglass performances and interaction are what's really interesting about this film! Especially Douglass, but both of the main actors give very naturalistic and not 'stage' type acting performances for the time....other than this and the somewhat abrasive subject matter for the time, the film isn't really that remarkable.
February 3, 2009
Filmer från tidigt 30-tal, innan Hollywoods självcensur blev hårdare, kan ibland kännas betydligt modernare än filmer som är gjorda 10-15 år senare. I den här filmen, om en soldat som blir kär i en tjej han inte förstår är prostituerad, är dessutom båda skådisarna väldigt bra och trovärdiga. Det går inte riktigt att överbrygga tidsavståndet i en så här tidig ljudfilm, men Waterloo Bridge (av Frankenstein-regissören James Whale) är oavbrutet fängslande och medryckande.
January 22, 2009
Way better than the fanciful remake.
December 9, 2008
The highlight of this melodrama from 1931 is a pair of acting performances by Mae Clarke and Douglass Montgomery that are among the most remarkable I've seen from the 30's. Directed by James Whale.
October 28, 2008
I'm teaching Gods and Monsters this week, so I thought I'd watch a James Whale film I hadn't seen. I found this film devastating - and, honestly, a lot like Frankenstein (or Bride of Frankenstein). Myra essentially is the monster of this film. Roy tries to capture/domesticate her, and she resists because she knows she's too monstrous for his society. She's noble and isolated and, ultimately, destroyed by forces beyond her control.
October 19, 2008
Now this is the one and only "Waterloo Bridge" for me. A truly wonderful movie with heartbreaking performances and direction, not a dream world of sentimental.
½ September 21, 2008
SPOILER REVIEW: A very solid moledrama with two great lead performers. I was particularly taken with Kent Douglass. At times, he seemed to display the kind of naturalistic acting style that wouldn't become popularized until Brando hit the scene decades later. I totally bought Roy's doe-eyed infatuation with Myra, hook, line and sinker. Mae Clark was also very good with the tremendous amount of pathos the screenplay gave her to work with. James Whale brought his signature style to the piece -- the camera moves a lot more than in other movies from the early 30s. The visual effects, depicting the London air raids and bombings, are good for the time, too. And, like other Whale filmes, we get a colorful array of supporting characters including the deaf military father, the batty landlord, and the wench from the bridge who cares more about her potatoes than she does the air raid. Bette Davis also appears as Roy's sister. My only gripe with the movie is the ending. I said this recently about "Baby Face" and "San Francisco": why do the sluts have to die for their sins? I guess it was next to impossible to portray a woman as anything other than virginal back in the 30s, 40s and 50s, without having to kill her at the end. The moment was well executed, and the movie is otherwise so entertaining, I am willing to overlook the morally pretentious finale.
September 14, 2008
This is not nearly as entertaining or trampy as The Red-Headed Woman, which comes on the same DVD. The film is basically a straightforward melodrama with some risqué elements, at least for 1931. Still, it is very well done and has a lovely visual style to it. I think it has been remade a few times, and I will try to check out those other versions when I get the chance.
August 8, 2008
I lose my shit about half an hour in, and I basically ball my eyes out the rest of the way. Mae Clarke gives an all-time great performance, and this is possibly the finest melodrama ever filmed.
July 23, 2008
Well directed and well acted
rubystevens
½ May 26, 2008
this love story between a soldier and a prostitute was unseen for many years and it's not half as sappy as the vivien leigh remake. mae clarke is very affecting. also a small role for then unknown bette davis
February 16, 2008
A real weepy, shows such a change of values today!