GamerZ: One Game to Rule Them All - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

GamerZ: One Game to Rule Them All Reviews

April 26, 2011
Loved the scenario storytelling, and the presence of being into it. Boring music, photography and so-so story.
And that tall guy was funny.
½ February 20, 2010
I love this movie. Its so horribly fantastic. You can't understand anything they say (scottish?), the acting is atrocious, and they throw in a wanna-be gangbanger and a 'hot chick' to prove that D&D players aren't JUST greasy, lanky, unwashed nerds who never venture into the light of day. Just for the most part.
½ September 17, 2009
Coming-of-age geek fury, with a wink. A fine example of innovative, independent filmmaking.
June 23, 2009
I was on board with it throughout until they started going into the all-too-stereotypical "if you roleplay you go nuts" territory. After that... I just lost any interest in the movie.
½ May 26, 2009
Total nerd movie. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't that great either. The filming was a little awkward at points and the story was sometimes spotty. If you are into any type of role playing then this movie is something you should see.
April 28, 2009
Warning: Love can lead to becoming a killer GM...
This film spends refreshingly little time mocking the character's geekery and instead builds a truly twisted love hexagon.
I loved the "shadow puppet" animation - it really fitted the mood.
However, the poor acting and script - neither of which should cost too much - let this imaginative indie venture down.
January 16, 2009
just not the film it should have been. when i think of a coming of age romantic comedy about gaming, i want it to be funnier, more romantic, and... way way nerdier. until someone better at it does this, gamerz will be the best gaming movie ever.
October 12, 2008
Entertaining movie about old skool roleplaying and the social circle it attracts. Some of the terminology really took me back to my youth.
August 9, 2008
Well its certainly original and creative, but the best thing about the movie is that I didn't like it. This is gratifying as it means I am not as bigger geek as I may be mistaken for.

The movie revolves around fantasy role playing games and it is a subject matter that I can't relate to. Fortunately the movie doesn't take it all that seriously either, but doesn't go so far as to alienate those who do.

The film feels slightly amateurish, but not in a way that warrants criticism. Whether it is or isn't a directorial debut, it showcased some inventive touches and cinematography that maybe hallmarks of a talented up and coming director.

The acting was a little hit and miss, but the characters gave plenty of opportunity to make humorous swipes at several social stereotypes.
August 8, 2008
I liked it. It wasn't great. It's about a bunch of nerd kids playing DnD. One falls in love with a girl and she doesn't return the love, so he kills her.... in the game....
June 1, 2008
So long as you can stand the whole D&D world it's not bad. I do like the Nightmare Before Christmas plug though. The whole love story triangle, square whatever you wanna call it is a little weird. I did see Shaun as a character in it though...totally. And as he said the game story really is the best part.
½ March 29, 2008
Morsom liten skotsk nerdefilm :)
March 1, 2008
I maybe gave this movie an extra half a star because it is Scottish, but hey, we need a break. Brilliantly funny little romantic comedy set in the fantasy realm of a young adolescent's mind. Exquisite lighting, good camera work, good character acting and romantically Glaswegian. Lennie the NED is BRILLIANT!
February 28, 2008
Chewin the Fat does Dungeons and Dragons.Danielle Stewart and Alpha ned James Young are charming and the Bakshi-style shadow sequences are very effective. Sweet.
½ February 27, 2008
Good wee film which pokes fun gently at D&D geekery without taking the obvious route of pure mockery.
½ February 26, 2008
A likeable Scottish comedy that takes an affectionately mocking look at the world of fantasy role-playing. It is frequently funny and makes inspired use of low-tech animation, but suffers from an unevenness of tone. Some of the characters are believable people with good reasons to want to escape into a world of wizards and elves; others are pure comic caricature. There's a real poignancy about Marlyn (Danielle Chambers), the Goth girl trying to transcend abusive family relationships, but Lennie (James Young), the would-be gangster who somewhat implausibly demands to join in the games never seems much more than a stereotypical chav. Davy (Johnny Austin) spends the whole film gurning absurdly ?? although there is something delightful about the idea of a neurotic risk management student with a secret life as a fantasy warrior. Still, Gamerz is far warmer, wittier and funnier than many Hollywood comedies with a hundred times the budget, and it was great to see Edward Tudor-Pole, whom older British readers may remember as host of the Crystal Maze TV game show or as frontman with the band Tenpole Tudor, still manic after all these years as eccentric university tutor Dr. Denham. Why couldn't I have had lecturers like that?
February 26, 2008
Quite slow moving at times but entertaining enough. The animated bits are a lovely homage to the original LOTR film. Those that don't have in extra appreciation of the stereotypes (students and neds and academics, oh my!) may find it a bit tedious. This is a shame because with a bit more polish this could have been superb.
½ February 24, 2008
Fantastic film ... if you're not watching it with radical bible thumpers ... and if you've ever played D&D. While it tries to say that gamers arn't just unwashed 20-year old fanboys in their mothers basements, it fails, quite spectacularly for those not already in the fandom.
February 23, 2008
Fantastic Scottish film, pokjes fun at all facets of Glasgow society, and has a very familiar feel to the tv series 'Still Game'.