Fall From Grace - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fall From Grace Reviews

½ November 13, 2013
Considering that fact that I am a devout atheist, I could very easily say that Fred Phelps and his congregation are pure evil and need to be locked away for the rest of their lives, but it would not do any good because it obviously is not going to happen any time soon, therefore I will try to be a little more rational. Admittedly, you do have to admire the Phelps clan and how they will not hesitate to go out and tell the world what they believe is wrong despite how much money it will cost and what they risk when facing the opposition. It is just a shame that they cannot put their skills and determination to better use, such as tending to the needy or encouraging love and acceptance. Putting aside my belief that Christianity is no different from the rest of the religious myths in existence, Phelps is clearly twisting the true meaning of the Bible to fit the doctrine of his own creation and is passing it on to his family. Therefore, it is easy to see why so many people despise the Westboro Baptist Church and are always willing to fend them off. It is uncertain whether or not K. Ryan Jones is a Christian himself, but he does an excellent job presenting the WBC members as they are, and collecting the views of other Christians who have studied the Scripture and can easily see that Rev. Phelps is determined to extinguish the homosexual and secular lifestyles for his own personal gain. For the non-religious, this will be further proof of the effect of faith-based belief on individual families and the outside world, especially at the hands of extremists like Rev. Phelps. For Christians, I sincerely hope that they can see for themselves how important it is to not only study what the Bible says but what it means, so they can learn to show compassion for everyone, including those who are substantially different.
½ August 11, 2013
compelling documentary showing both sides of the controversial Westboro Baptist Church and the message of hatred that they spread. Through interviews with many subjects on both sides of the issue it exposes Fred Phelps as an extremist wacko (as if there was a question) who is hell bent on distorting Christ's message
½ April 4, 2013
A very informative film on the hypocritical Westboro Baptist Church (more of a cult than a church), and their fanatic hate-filled pastor/founder, Fred Phelps.
½ February 26, 2013
Why does this annoying, angry old man, deserve an hour and twelve minutes of screen time? Well he's just fascinating, he's like a mini me of famous bad guys!
February 6, 2013
So the other day it was a doco on the mis use of the bible to condem homosexuality; now here's a doco that excels the last one in every way possible.

It can be hard to present a non biased or one sided doco when it concerns something as sensitive as religion. Jones has done a fantasic job here directing this film that gives a voice to multiple view points and people concerning the West Boro Baptist Church in America. It views as a well rounded representation of the group and those involved and affected by their actions. It provides a great introduction to those not overly familiar with the church and their protests. Whilst it would be hard to watch this and not side against the church I feel Jones has given the Phelps family a relatively unbiased representation. Definitely worth watching and discussing afterwards. Really enjoyed this and found it incredibly interesting.
½ December 2, 2012
This wasn't a bad documentary. It explained alot and it was pretty disturbing how messed up these people are.
August 19, 2012
Absolutely terrifying documentary, almost as scary as Jesus Camp. Good god I hope Fred Phelps dies a horrible death,
½ June 25, 2012
The most horrifying thing is this family seems entirely normal if you ignore the Mansony bullshit coming out of their mouths. But the film does a decent job of covering the damage Westboro Baptist Church does while still analyzing the family's right to free speech.
April 16, 2012
I FUCKING HATE THE WESTBORO BAPTIST CHURCH FUCK THEM
flixsterman
½ April 13, 2012
If there is a hell (and I'm convinced that there is), Fred Phelps will have a seat of honor there. Burn Fred Burn!
½ March 21, 2012
I thought this was a chilling documentary. It is hard to see a group of people who have so much hate for gay and lesbian people. The documentary covered a wide variety of issues and had a lot of facts and truth to back up their claims.
January 18, 2012
my favorite horror film since 'jesus camp'.
January 15, 2012
A fascinating and disturbing insight into the most hateful family in America.
November 9, 2011
Well-researched bit of documentary about one of the most heated religious bigots of this generation. This examination of Fred Phelps and his cult...ahem, I mean church, stirs as much anger in viewers as it does pity at their brain-washed children, who literally spout the same shit Phelps and his gullible flock of sheep do. The film is well made, giving us views from considerably less insane people who negate all of the half-baked notions put forth by these lunatics, essentially making them out to be what they are: CLOWN SHOES...
October 9, 2011
Ok doc about Fred Phelps
½ October 6, 2011
One of the most interesting docs on the Westboro crazies. It features interviews with the younger children (aged 6-10) and with former family members. Also a verse-by-verse refutation of Phelps' insane exegesis. Some pop psychology that I could do without, but overall quite good.
September 21, 2011
Awesome. This is a stark reminder that people can wholly convince themselves that absolutely anything can be Divinely mandated.
September 8, 2011
This family is crazier than a sh*t house rat.
September 4, 2011
This guy is the scum of the earth.
August 24, 2011
An appalling look into the mind of Pastor Fred Phelps and the misguided and distorted mission of Westboro Baptist Church.