Spiral - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spiral Reviews

½ March 30, 2016
The neat direction, editing and photography are not enough to save Spiral from predictability and flatness.
January 8, 2016
Well acted, rather fascinating psycho-drama that makes you feel sorry for the the perpetrator as well as the victim.
November 24, 2013
Really love this movie
½ November 14, 2013
Unique psych/thriller story..and what a surprise in the end.
October 23, 2013
Pretty decent thriller with some interesting twists.
September 10, 2013
Psychological thriller. Mason is a loner with a crappy 9-5 and only one person he could call a friend. His boss, Berkeley. That is until he meets the new girl at work, Amber. A friendly, slightly quirky girl who connects with Mason almost straight away and after a while Mason has invited her to his apartment to share his hobby; painting. His big love alongside jazz. And soon Mason is painting portraits of Amber as the pair move closer but Masons past and the possibility of a deadly secret could put Amber in danger.
As a fan of director Adam Green, I was impressed with his work on Spiral. The film is more about character and mood so this is completely different to his work on the Hatchet movies and, like his other film Frozen, shows he can do tension and suspense without chucking a load of blood in your face.
The cast do a great job to. Joel David Moore brilliant as Mason and lovely Amber Tamblyn also great as Amber.
Spiral might not appeal to fans of conventional horror and Adam Greens other stuff but for those that enjoy more psychological, slow burning thrillers/horrors, Spiral is well worth checking out.

Spiral was rated 18 on DVD in the UK(I'm guessing that'd be R in the US?) but don't read anything into that. The film is no more than a 15. Think the BBFC gave it an 18 as an 18 rated film was in the trailers(?!)
½ June 20, 2013
An awesome dark independent character study that grabs you and never lets go--Imagination and Reality!!
June 18, 2013
a decent movie, mostly saved by amber tamblyn's ability to play a very likable lead
February 1, 2013
I was pretty spooked - especially since I watched this alone at 1 in the morning. His jaw noise creeped me out!!
½ November 21, 2012
It wasn't boring, but just from the title and the genre you know some kind of psychological thing is going to happen and you spend most of the time just waiting for it to happen.
½ October 25, 2012
great movie, very awesome twist
September 3, 2012
slow paced and not violent, leaving more tension between 'whats really going on?'
½ July 13, 2012
the ending blew my mind away! takes awoke to get there with its slow pace but I think that was on purpose.
½ May 12, 2012
Excruciatingly dull conversations that seem like a halfhearted attempt to be charmingly qwerky but fall horribly flat. Possibly people who work in cubicles will find something in the ennui and social malaise plot but it's no Office Space or Huckabees .
½ April 22, 2012
Creepy amber tamblyn flick. Good for a short quick view.
April 1, 2012
Must be geared for younger folk if this kind of film has PG-13 rating.
March 29, 2012
Monday, February 6, 2012

(2007) Spiral
HORROR/ THRILLER/ MYSTERY

Straight-to-rental movie has Joel David Moore as an odd outcast and a lonely artist as Mason who appears to have some serious issues who often calls up his brother, usually claims that he's killed someone except that his brother doesn't believe him, and still be able to hold a job as a telemarketer managed by his brother. The movie then dabbles pointlessly between him and his relationship with another female employee named Amber (Amber Tablyn)as well as with other people. She then succombs to be his secret girlfriend agreeing to pose for him and be his controlled model on many different poses following specific standards which she eventually does not like to follow, leading to the enevitable with predictable results and a twist that can be seen a mile away.

(Spoiler warning)
As a result of the twist contradicts everything that has happened beforehand because 1) I find it hard to believe that if the supposed persons (in this case girls) were supposed to have exist that she would 'dictate' not conversing with anyone else other than the most undesirable and unattractive person in question who is the oddest person in the entire movie who happeneds to be an artist 2) if an actual person were to be missing since the central person claimed to have killed before, where are the police presence in locating that person and how come we have never seen his brother in his place of residence- the movie never tells, making it's own rules about who exists and who doesn't meaning that it 'may' be a metaphor that we as people, don't pay enough attention or acknowledge the presence of women, and this film is unsuccessful in convincing us in doing so.

1/2 out of 4
½ March 1, 2012
Watched the first half hour and gave up, it was so weird and boring. Wasn't how I though it would be.
½ February 25, 2012
An absolutely terrible, pointless piece of work.