Spiral - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spiral Reviews

½ February 25, 2012
An absolutely terrible, pointless piece of work.
February 1, 2012
A nicely done Pychological thriller. At points disturbing and awhole ot better then their fist film, Hachet.
The over all movie was surprising. The most surprising was Joel Moore's performance. I don't think this would of been as good if he didn't do such a good job.
Pretty decent watch.
½ January 15, 2012
Brilliant. This is a fantastic thriller style movie. Joel Moore has done a great job writing, directing and starring in this chilling story of Mason, a telemarketer who likes to sketch women. He keeps having nightmares of other women and blood.

His relationship with Amber begins to grow slowly, and is so well laid down. There are allusions to the importance of jazz, and painting, and contrast, all symbolizing Mason, his spiralling breakdown, and finally to the entire film itself.

The movie builds slowly, laying powerful groundwork for the payoff at the end. Entirely character based, one must rely on what we see and hear. Which is where the intrigue lies. What does Mason really see?

And the ending....sigh, if only more movies could be as brilliant as this.
January 10, 2012
What a disturbingly good movie. This has a perfect blend of the character's insanity and reality. The jazz music was brilliantly used as an aspect of the plot and as a soundtrack. The actors were great and the end was perfect.
December 31, 2011
I was extremely surprised by this one. Went into it expecting little to none, but definitely left impressed. Some would say the story is long-winded and slow, but I found it to be very intense in its slowly building and focused development.

A very good script, complex story and above average direction is all on display, but what drives the movie is a terrific performance by Moore. The rest of the cast are good, but Moore is terrific. He defines a very complex role (one who is vulnerable and innocent, but equally unnerving and unhinged) all without hardly opening his mouth.

The story is slow, but strangely engrossing. It really sucks you in, even though there is little to no action. Its really a stunning portrait of a seriously disturbed person.

A bit of a frantic ending and a couple of other poor pacing details are really the only things that hold it back from being a truly grade A film, but this is a really creepy and well done psychological thriller.
December 6, 2011

November 14, 2011
Really slow and boring characters...i didnt care if he was or was not a killer...hell it was so boring i wanted to kill myself just to liven things up and the music...all that jazz...i wanted to stick knitting needles in my ears. Worse thing is i purchased this movie.
November 5, 2011
Dark character study about a socially awkward guy. The ending has two twists. I spotted one sort of, but was completely blindsided by the second review. Joel David Moore is having quite a career so far playing oddball characters, and director Adam Green contributes another interesting and well-made film to the vast category of movies that is the horror genre.
November 1, 2011
By no means perfect, but it makes me want to see more of Adam Green's films.
September 29, 2011
Joel David Moore and Sam Green collaborate in their second film since Hatchet in this offbeat suspense yarn. A troubled loner takes up with a pretty but overly curious coworker. She's a naive romantic, he's a tortured artist with a string of missing girlfriends. I love the misunderstood nerd as psycho killer. Or IS he?
August 28, 2011
This was pretty good. The cast was fantastic and the ending was a surprise.
August 27, 2011
its very very slow...weird and twisted. derange weirdo who kills people but buddy believe made up but is really true in the end
½ June 25, 2011
"It's all about contrast, to accentuate some parts, you have to hide others."
"So they can't be noticed?"
"So they won't draw attention."
Everyone needs to watch this movie! Brilliant!!
June 20, 2011
It's a well-crafted thriller, but it tends to go out of its way to show us how crazy the film's main character is, not to mention some clunky scenes that seem out of place to say the least.. Well-shot and well-written (for the most part) and its ending is fantastic.
½ June 18, 2011
Absolutely fantastic suspense thriller. The movie displays a normal romantic story of a highly enthusiastic girl meeting a mystery to himself guy, spending time together, until the end when it is found that the guy is disturbed mentally ! I especially liked the ending with twists !!
Japes
June 15, 2011
The ending was the best for sure.

This movie is about a quiet/awkward guy named Mason who is a very talented painter. His only friend is his coworker Berkley. Mason meets a girl and they become friends. He starts painting her, and things get ugly a little bit afterwards.

***SPOILERS****

After watching the first like 30 minutes, I already predicted Mason was a schizophrenic who was just imagining Amber. When Berkley told Mason at the end that the girls he had dated weren't real, I was like oh yeah, I called it. But then it turned out the girls did exist and Mason really had killed them all. I was like whoa shit! I didn't see that coming. It was awesome. That was a good twist to throw in. I thought for sure it was going to be the same twist I've seen before where the guy just hallucinates, but I'm glad this movie wasn't like that. I really liked it.

The only thing I didn't like about this film was the acting. The girl who played Amber was really, really obnoxious. She was loud and annoying and a little weird to be honest. I mean Mason definitely isn't the cutest guy and he's really strange. Why would a pretty girl like Amber keep messing with him trying to figure him out? He's obviously a messed up dude. I don't really understand what she saw in him, but I guess she got what she deserved in the end. She was a bad actress too. The one scene where she was pretending to cry was a total fail. My horse could have done that scene better.

Overall I thought it was a good movie. The twist was good.
June 15, 2011
Ummmm ... I can't say I really enjoyed this movie. It was too slow, too drawn out and too damn boring before anything interesting started to happen. It lost my attention and then I think I missed some slightly less slow, less boring stuff. Then there was a flurry of drama at the end. Yawn.
½ June 6, 2011
Wow, even though I knew what was going on, and a lot of what would happen I enjoyed this film. That is all I can say without spoiling it, all the actors did a great job.
½ May 9, 2011
Eerie as hell. Reminded me of films such as Fight Club, May, The Machinist... you get the idea. Definitely a film worth checking out.