Pathology - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pathology Reviews

May 5, 2014
Bizarre. Bloody. Go in with low expectations, because this most definitely went for style, not substance.
½ March 27, 2014
an interesting little thriller. they used a lot of shock gore within the first 20 minutes of this and I thought that's how the whole movie was going to be but it wasnt. after the initial gore it turns into a decent movie. story was different and a new little twist on a 'game'. not for the weak stomach but a good little movie.
½ March 27, 2014
You probably won't hate it if you see it without any expectation. I enjoyed the last 30 mins of the movie.
March 9, 2014
One line summary: Group of interns make many attempts to commit the perfect murder.

Ted Grey arrives at University Hospital in Philadelphia as an intern.

This piece of drudgery starts with hand-held footage of entitled idiots re-enacting the fake orgasm scene from When Harry Met Sally. The stars of the re-make are cadavers. Funny? No. Indicative of character? Perhaps.

At an early group evening at a watering hole, the group starts talking about killing people. Which people would one be willing to kill? They are especially interested in Ted's answer. Soon thereafter, Jake takes Ted to the sickest depiction of a whorehouse that I've seen in a long time.

The next day or so, the exemplar cadaver was the bouncer at the whorehouse. Ted is shocked. He swallows his extra knowledge, and comes up with a correct diagnosis of how the murder was committed. He does not figure out that this fellow interns killed the man. Jake was surprised that he did not figure that part out. Ted has his suspicions, of course.

With very little nudging (OK, some extortion involved), Ted joins the group. He kills his first. He participates in the post mortems where the group tries to guess the method of murder. He does cocaine with his group. This is a still seems abrupt.

In any case, Ted's in harness. How does this group of happy-go-lucky murderers end up? Will the joy of sex after murder fade? Do the police get involved? Are there any responsible, observant adults running the hospital?

Cinematography: 6/10 Well shot considering the overall darkness of the film, which is too dark.

Sound: 5/10 I can usually hear the actors' voices, but sound is not really an asset in this film.

Acting: 3/10 Milo Ventimiglia was wretched in Gilmore Girls; I expected nonsense and got a bland who-cares performance in this film. Based on his track record, I expected nothing good from Michael Weston, and found him more irritating than usual. Alyssa Milano has the longest record of disappointing performances, but here I saw a short performance that was not bad. I expect to see at least a few minutes of good delivery and dry wit when John de Lancie is a film; that worked well. Johnny Whitworth's performance was purely repulsive: an overreaching bully whose challenges are never met. How did this law-of-the-jungle lout ever get into medical school? His antics in CSI: Miami were not much better.

Screenplay: 4/10 In the first ten minutes of the film, Ted seems to be a bright, hard working, decent lad who deserves to be well-recommended. His rapid descent into drug use and serial murder conspiracy seemed unfounded. The autopsy of Gwen by Ted was unlikely; it would seem to me that his doing it would be prevented by protocols. Also, the extracted heart seemed awfully large for a slim woman in good health. This film reminded me of Lord of the Flies, only the adults never show up.
½ March 8, 2014
Had potential to be really good, but despite this and the decent performances, it doesn't make up for it being so poorly written.
February 21, 2014
Although it's fast paced and you can get confused for a moment or two, Pathology takes twists that you don't see coming and really delves into the darker, more primal side of humanity with an educated twist. If you're looking for a trip into the mind of a killer, this is a movie for you.
½ February 13, 2014
Ummm sick and creepy students here!
January 31, 2014
I've seen crazier shit in the toilet
January 31, 2014
Though not original at the core- its shot, directed, and written fairly well and by the Crank team. Strange cameo by Milano for no real reason though.
January 23, 2014
A dark, twisted, somewhat disturbing yet highly unbelievable edition to the horror film family.
January 21, 2014
Piece of crap. Avoid it .
January 20, 2014
A decent and gory thriller, Pathology is well-made and acted, and it is thoroughly entertaining, but it never really takes the story in any kind of surprising direction. Once its premise is set up, it pretty much runs it course much as one would expect.
January 18, 2014
This film is something else, and pray to God that residents don't behave in this manner. Most will not but you are left to wonder. Anyways, Med school student Teddy Grey (Milo Ventimiglia) graduates top of his class from Harvard and joins one of the nation's most prestigious Pathology programs. There, a rivalry develops between a group of local interns and Teddy. They invite him into their group, which entertains itself with a secret after-hours game at the morgue of who can commit the perfect undetectable murder. The scenes at the morgue as the residents conduct autopsies reveal to many why you don't (at least me) want to become a doctor. The medical career can be unpleasant at times. Sure it can also be highly rewarding and demanding, expensive tuition and you have to be very smart to pass the MCAT and apply. Anyways I digress, so its up to Dr. Grey to figure a way out of this game, this nightmare. The acting was good, enough sex to keep you entertained but the plot is so implausible that I see why so many critics disliked it. Its available on Netflix instant streaming and remember- if there is someone that can commit the perfect murder without arousing suspicion, that someone IS a physician.
½ January 13, 2014
plot holes need filling, needs more character development of secondaries. thrilling, not fully immersive
January 4, 2014
very sick and "interesting" idea.
December 30, 2013
not everybody will like it
½ December 20, 2013
It's an interesting movie about a group of medical residencies doing an extracurricular activity . Thrilling with good twisted plot
½ November 4, 2013
Rating: Zero stars

". . .a completely dumb and ineffective thriller that generates vile and morally offensive madness. I seriously hate this garbage."
October 7, 2013
Okay, Tries to betray people as generally evil which is not true.