The Midnight Meat Train - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Midnight Meat Train Reviews

July 19, 2015
A film of two halves. The first takes an interesting premise, nuanced and well portrayed characters, and gives the audience an engaging journey about murder, aspirations and identity. At the 1 hour mark I was certain that this film would be rewarding for its genre & perhaps greatly overlooked. The second half is so utterly ridiculous and bizarre, that every compliment and investment I had built for the film in its first half, was utterly butchered. It is a wonder that one film can provide some of the most realistic and honest portrayals of humans undergoing fear - and then arrive at the most unexpected and cartoonish of endings. The exact opposite of what it says on the tin, dubious meat within. 2 stars.
July 5, 2015
An awesome, underrated gem.
½ June 25, 2015
Good goes gory, what a shame!
½ June 8, 2015
Had some good moments
½ May 26, 2015
Clive Barker at his bloody nastiest. Well worth a look.
½ May 21, 2015
As a 90 minute gore-fest, it does exactly what you expect it to do when choosing to view a movie like this. Fast paced, intriguing characters, and enough mystery surrounding the main storyline to keep you guessing. It's when meaning and purpose is attempted to explain the gore that the movie feels like it is being stuffed down the audience's throat a bit. A fun ride (pun intended) with a bumpy, albeit simple, destination.
May 3, 2015
The film boasts strong performances from both Cooper and Jones who carry the film and keep you interested. While the film takes some wild turns, it's all in the horrific, gory fun the film is going for. Gore effects are great, acting is good and the story, while at times routine, has your head spinning by the time the last frame comes on screen. Very entertaining horror film with a couple of original twists. B+
March 28, 2015
This horror is the metaphorical equivalent of 'Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull'. If it's such a 'Classic' of 'Cult' horror, then why has it taken 6.5 years for me to find this film?
½ March 27, 2015
Very gory, but too quickly put together and not as scary as I wanted it to be. Played like one of those obscure straight-to-video titles. Yeah.
½ March 14, 2015
Insanely beautiful and beautifully insane.

One of the better horror films I've seen come out in the past couple of years, finally a new suspense thriller that's worth watching. Most certainly not flawless, but totally awesome. The gore is fantastic (with the exception of the one or two CGI parts) and the cinematography fucking blew me away. The acting was solid although some of the characters were a tad annoying, not that there were many of them though. Seriously, there was only about six characters all up and most of them don't do a lot of talking.

Vinnie Jones as Mahogany (above) was a brilliant choice, and Bradley Cooper gave a crazy good portrayal of Leon Kaufman. I'm sure that the films climax would be difficult for a lot of people to swallow, and I'd be pretty inclined to agree with them. There's a few things that aren't really explained and a few more that just weren't explained that great, but all in all I was wholeheartedly impressed with Meat Train. The gore would be too much for a lot of people to handle, but don't assume that due to the name it's a splatter fest. It's a great production of Clive Barker's mentally harrowing work, the psychological aspect of a film will always outweigh blood and guts in my mind, providing it's done well, which Meat Train most certainly does.

-Gimly
February 6, 2015
Absolutely pointless film with no direction, poor graphics as well as acting
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
Crime , thriller and some horror elements mixed to a pretty decent movie starring Vinnie Jones. Story follows a serial killer on the loose with a photographer on his tail.. some parts could have been better like the spooky / scary things but its fairly. The violence and blood scenes were good tho. Overall a nicely made flick.
November 27, 2014
perfect twist of my anticipation.

good direction, unconventional ending
November 9, 2014
The written story is much better than the movie. I wish they had focused more on the end portion than the meat part.
½ October 31, 2014
Eerie and bloody, but has plenty of style and pace but is severely let down by constant plot holes.
October 23, 2014
(76%)
A movie that sadly came and went without too much attention, which is a shame as there is much to like about this well put together horror flick. It has a slight 1980's feel to the way it looks and feels, with its simple yet effective use of story telling, pacing, and quite full on levels of blood and gore. It stars now A-list star Bradley Cooper giving an added level of quality, while Vinnie Jones is perfect as the mysterious almost silent killer. The best thing though is that this isn't just Vinnie murdering people on a train, as there is much more to the story than just that, and by the end this is gets pretty interesting and inventive. If you can get hold of the uncut version that has a touch more nastiness to it, but really this is a future classic that will eventually find a strong following with horror fans in the next ten years or so.
October 10, 2014
It was an interesting, creepy, well-shot horror/action/drama/mystery/thriller/creature (I don't think the movie even knew) with pretty good effects. However, the girlfriend was annoying and inconsistent and the story contained plot holes and I feel the movie got too caught up in itself. Not bad, not great.
October 6, 2014
Based On The Clive Barker Short Story Of The Same Name, Midnight Meat Train Is a Gritty And Violent Horror Film Which Doesn't Disappoint. The Film Follows A Young Photographer (Bradley Cooper), As He Takes Night Shots For An Upcoming Art Exhibition. This Is Where He Spots A Mysterious And Menacing Looking Man (Vinnie Jones) & Decides To Follow Him, What He Uncovers However Is The Cause Of The Many Disappearances In The City. The Plot Is Great, The Script Is Great, The Atmosphere And Musical Score Are Great. However It's Vinnie Jones Who Steals The Film, He Is Perfectly Cast As The Silent, Sinister Looking Killer That Towers Over & Butchers His Victims. The Film Has A Very Strong Lead In Bradley Cooper, Especially As It's His First Lead Role.
October 2, 2014
I'm all for gore, I'm all for Clive Barker, christ the mans a genius. But when it comes to this, an exercise in boring and laborious viewing whats the point? I've watched films over double the length of this and this felt longer. The Midnight Meat Train stars Vinnie Jones as a mute serial butcher on an underground train station in the states, Bradley Cooper plays Leon a struggling photographer who, in order to progress his career, begins to take pictures of dangerous situations. He soon finds himself entangled in The Butchers plans however, before everyone gets involved and it just dwindles into shit. There are things about this film i like, The cast for example are actually pretty good, were it not for some of the hellishly cliched dialogue they have to utter, they pass the movie off as watchable. Vinnie actually does very well as a threatening mute serial killer and Bradley manages to get a nice balance between obsessed and loving photographer. Roger Bart but kind of does his thing and Leslie Bibb pulls in a performance that shows most people in the film up. It's just none of it is written well. This film from the get go, sets out to be as violent as possible and at points, there are some nice moments. A fight near the end is particularly outstanding and equally disgusting. But the director see's fit to fire so much CGI blood at the camera every time something horrid happens it takes the sting right out of the terror. If like myself you can spot CGI blood a mile away, and trust me here most people will, its off putting, it makes the entire experience weak. I dont believe in what your showing me, this renders half the movie pointless as im not shocked by the violence or effected. However the movie does have the odd practical effect that works out nicely, its just too little in such a barbaric film. The cinematography also at times can be brilliant, spiralling camera shots through a haunting apartment as Vinnie stalks his prey or haunting lighting on the underground train. At times the visuals really do eminate Clive Barkers warped mind. There is a decent movie in here somewhere, the problem is a just dont care. This film isnt terrible but its not good either. In fact most of it is instantly forgettable. I will not have nightmares about this, the next time i am on the subway i will not even remember this film, im devoid of any real care because the film just plods along like it doesnt care. The only reason to watch this film is for its cast and the occasional nice idea but other than that, its horrible pacing, cliche after cliche inclusion and violence you cannot be effected by. whats the point?
August 23, 2014
A great adaptation from legendary Clive Barker. The scares are intense, the directing is slick, and the visuals are chilling. Vinnie Jones delivers a menacing performance.