The Lucky Ones - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lucky Ones Reviews

½ April 20, 2016
Despite some glaring imperfections, The Lucky Ones is a cute little road movie with a nice sense of heart. There's nothing here that hasn't been done by other movies, or themes that haven't been said by other movies, but for what it is, it's not a bad time. It's a character driven dramedy, and Neil Burger does a good job of crafting characters that are sympathetic and whose presences are enjoyable. Rachel McAdams, Tim Robbins, and Michael Peña are all solid and each have their own moments to deliver strong emotion, as to be expected from three performers of their caliber. It's McAdams who shines brightest though, giving a very underrated performance in terms of her personal filmography. The way certain character traits are overcome are a little farfetched, but they never take away too much from this story. By the time it's over, perhaps nothing groundbreaking is learned, but it's a touching story that's even a little bit bittersweet. An overlooked gem of a film if there ever was one.
March 20, 2016
I admit that is isn't good movie but somehow I really liked it..
½ March 8, 2016
Good actors, decent storyline, then ending was kinda dumb.
March 4, 2016
Not sure why such a low rating got a lot more than I expected.
½ September 27, 2014
An extended ad for the US military, Dollar rentals, Hummer and McDonalds
½ May 31, 2014
The Lucky Ones is one of those movies that surprised me, the trailer looked good, and it was a film that exceeded my expectations. Reading some of the reviews, I found that the film had its fair share of flack, and really I find this movie to be quite underrated. The Lucky Ones is a charming dramedy with a good cast of actors who have great chemistry on-screen. This film is quite good and it is an entertaining film with plenty of effective moments that really bring out the best out of the movie. The movie is far from perfect, but it most certainly doesn't deserve the negativity it has received. The Lucky Ones is worth seeing and what makes the film work very well is the fact that the characters are likeable and you sympathize with them. At first the movie is joyful, but then it takes a more serious turn, all the while keeping a humorous edge to the material, which makes this such a pleasant and surprising movie. The performance that surprised me the most was that of Rachel McAdams, who delivers one of her finest performances yet. The film is better than you might expect, and the story is very well layered to really make the film worth seeing. This is a terrific film worth your time, and it is far better than what the negative reviews has suggested. With a great cast, a charming, yet well constructed story, The Lucky Ones is a very good dramedy that is highly engaging from start to finish. The film's strength lies in its great characters and good performances, and with that alone, you can forget the film's shortcomings.
½ January 24, 2014
Great story and great performances by the cast.
January 19, 2014
Great "slice-of-life" movie. I became invested in all three characters lives, laughed several times. I appreciated the immediate friendship and comradery. Rachel McAdam's was very good. At the end I wanted more and had the thought; and then what happened? Which to me is the sign of a good story. 02.13
½ August 20, 2013
They all have their own issue, figure out while the trip back home. I like their sincere and courage to deal with those secrets.
½ February 28, 2013
I really enjoyed this quirky film. Love Tim Robbins and Rachel McAdams, and Michael Pena was good, too.
January 15, 2013
The Lucky Ones is one of the good road movies. Sure, you know pretty much exactly how it's going to end as soon as you're introduced to its characters, but it's sweet and heartfelt nonetheless. Formulaic and has a bunch of problems due to its adherence to formula, of course, but that doesn't stop it from having a moderate emotional impact on a viewer, as well as giving anyone watching it a pretty fun time. While the three lead characters are all Iraq war veterans, they have a pretty good sense of humor which keeps things enjoyable for all, despite all their problems.

The basic idea is this: The three soldiers return home with a plan and a dream, and soon find out that not is all as it was and should be. Their first obstacle is a power outage, causing the delay of planes at the airport. They decide to rent a car together, having met earlier while flying back to America. We have Fred Cheaver (Tim Robbins), a veteran of many years who just wants to see his wife and son; Colee (Rachel McAdams), who got shot in the leg and had her boyfriend die in her arms, who just wants to return his guitar to his family; and there's T.K. (Michael Peña), who was struck by a piece of shrapnel in a very sensitive area, causing it to no longer work. He hopes to go to Vegas and hire someone to "fix" it.

There are problems with all of these plans. Cheaver's wife wants a divorce and his son needs $20,000 in 3 weeks or he loses his spot at Stanford. Colee is living in a dream world, having never met her boyfriend's parents but assuming that they'll love her and take her in as their own. T.K. has some sort of past history with something, and also has an odd relationship with his fiancée. You'll find it all out as the film moves along.

As we progress from state to state, the tensions flare, the problems get larger, and before long, it seems as if nobody will ever live happily ever after. You understand at this point that this is how road movies work; the speed bumps presented allow for the character growth which will hopefully allow these people to overcome their problems.

You know how road movies work, or if you don't, you will by the end of this one. All of the notes that are required are hit, and all of the tropes are used. If you're looking for a film with a unique plot, The Lucky Ones isn't it. However, if you're looking for a movie with strong characters portrayed by good actors, then you might just like this one. These characters and performances are so strong that you forget the film's flaws for the majority of its running time.

These are layered, deep characters, all of whom have many things they have to worry about. By the end of the film, you hope that everything will work out because you care about them. They feel real, and you want them to succeed because they don't feel like caricatures; they're real human beings. The writing is sharp and doesn't often make them speak in clichés, and the actors are all very good, which makes the characters feel natural. You get sucked in by the performances and forget the film's problems until it concludes.

However, after it's over, you start to think it over and realize it's nothing particularly special. The plot is all formula, it's too long (just under two hours), many of the scenes don't relate to the plot at all and appear just as filler and to give us a bizarre look at America and its reaction to soldiers, and much of the comedy falls flat. During the film, I didn't care. It's only looking back on it that I feel this way, and I certainly don't hope to dissuade anyone from seeing it due to these issues. It overcomes them, but you might be left with a somewhat bad taste in your mouth if you think about it for too long afterward.

Many contrivances and too-unlikely-to-just-be-coincidences are abound, but I was okay with them while watching The Lucky Ones. You make a note of how silly these situations are, but you pass it off as just that: Silly situations. They're harmless and end up telling a good story, so why bother complaining about them? Because you're a cynic, that's why. And you know what we do with cynics 'round these here parts? Nothing. That's what.

I liked seeing how everyone in America reacted to these soldiers, though. Perhaps the funniest moments came when our war heroes would make a stop in a place and get treated a different way from the last one. If director Neil Burger wanted to give us a portrait of different areas of America, then he did a pretty good job of that. It's a little touch, sure, but it's an important one that elevates The Lucky Ones above a generic road movie.

In the end, The Lucky Ones is definitely worth the time it takes to watch. It isn't anything special, really, but it feels like it is in the moment. After it ends, you might start to think back on the experience and realize its problems, but as you're enjoying it, you're really enjoying it. It takes three people, puts them in a car and gives them a lot of problems to deal with. Formulaic, sure, but it makes a good movie here, in large part because it provides a nice perspective on America, and because of the strong performances by the lead actors.
December 31, 2012
I didn't know what to expect from this movie, but I usually enjoy the performances of Tim Robbins and Rachel McAdams, so therefore I thought it was a relatively safe option. Michael Pena was very good in 'Crash', so this film had a lot going for it with such a top-notch cast.

The movie runs a relatively straight forward course. Robbins, McAdams and Pena are soldiers returning from war (for various reasons), with each having different ideas as to what to do with their new-found freedom.

I didn't lose interest at any stage in this film, but I will say that at certain stages I needed something a little more from it. The performances of the main cast are impressive - with each adding to their own element to the role.

I'd say I believed Pena the most of the three from an acting point of view. McAdams came across (maybe deliberately) too naive for my liking (for an army soldier, anyway), but still I couldn't really fault her performance.

This is an interesting movie, but I don't think it will knock anyone's socks off. I'd recommend it if you're after something a little different.
½ December 23, 2012
Esta road movie cuenta con unas actuiaciones tan sobresalientes, que logran hacer de un guion casi predesible y con cliches funcione.Buena.
December 8, 2012
This is a good movie. While the story is one where there is a for sure destination once it gets established early on, the movie shines with its dialogue. While a lot of the stuff being said is nonsense, there is enough there to keep the viewer interested and informed in the story while laughing at the many one liner off key type of jokes throughout. The acting was very good as well. Rachel McAdams delivers the best performance because she had an awkwardness and innocence about her character that made everything she said likable and funny, even if some of the dialogue was a bit too blunt at times. Tim Robbins and Michael Pena give great performances as well. Definitely worth it to watch.
½ December 7, 2012
Decent, but not great film about the psychological and physical effects of war on the soldiers.
November 1, 2012
Everything just keeps falling apart in this Neil Burger movie. These three army soldiers on a leave all have their own problems, but they somehow manage to reunite into one big family and help each other througout their adversities. "The Lucky Ones" tells the story of three un-lucky people that in 4 days or so have to face the strangest of problems: at the end you get to know them in a really peculiar, unusual way. You'll feel sympathy for them...

It's cool to see how people meeting them keep on thanking them for their job and for serving the Nation. Dialogues feel real, but they're kind of boring and difficult to follow. I almost gave up on the movie at some point becuse it's kind of dragged out and... I didn't really see its point. I won't say it's pointless - I acutally think it has a deeper meaning - but it's just too slow getting there, and when it gets there the movie is done with no conclusion.

Worth seeing once or twice. But don't expect anything steamy, exploding or particularly exciitng. Instead, expect a very lazy, lay down movie that might or might not bore you.
October 22, 2012
This one is different....sad, confusing, lost, caring, compassionate, empathic and resiliant. What would you do if you were a wounded soldier on leave in their shoes....This movie requires patience! to see it thru. It may seem confusing - try to view it from the eyes of each of the characters perspective! I think this is worth watching. Rachel McAdams, Michael Pena and Timothy Robbins all do a wonderful job in their roles.
½ September 30, 2012
A very fine movie. Well done.
September 8, 2012
Full of dedicated and strong performances and a powerful chemistry with it's three main leads make you entirely forgive the faults of this film