The Lucky Ones - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lucky Ones Reviews

July 2, 2011
This movie can make us appreciate the importance of friendship.
½ June 26, 2011
I love road movies, and this one is no exception. Colee is a great character, and the interaction between the characters worked really well.
June 25, 2011
An unfunny, undramatic fairly pointless and poorly casted movie. At no point does it become offensively bad its just very misguided.
June 20, 2011
Love this movie to bits. Amazing acting. It's worth seeing and it deserves more recognition. Definitely my all-time favourite.
June 20, 2011
Love this movie to bits. Amazing acting. It's worth seeing and worth more recognition. Definitely my all-time favourite.
½ June 18, 2011
Really liked this movie! The whole movie is about 3 soldiers taking a road trip to certain destinations(Can't say home because that's just not the case) McAdams stole the show but Robbins and Pena also played their parts really well. It is a well paced dramedy that didn't get the recognition it deserved in this era of crappy comedies...
June 9, 2011
I liked this in a weird way, probably just watch it the once but it was nice to see how they connected
June 3, 2011
good story, great actors, and a good ending
June 2, 2011
I really enjoyed this one and actually got a few laugs out of it, which is not common for me of American comedy. It's worth watching to see the different stories in these soilder's lives.
½ May 25, 2011
I like this film. It's has a quiet, subtle, level-headed tone and I care for the characters. Rachel McAdams is really watchable and has an instinct for comedy that I haven't seen her use before.

Memorable Moments:
Bar scene - totally relatable
Twister wood
May 13, 2011
It's been a few years since I watched this, but from what I remember this was a decent movie. I have no desire to watch it again though.
½ May 2, 2011
The Chemistry between the three leads is strong, the performances are wonderful and this movie has heart no doubt about that. However this movie fails to do anything original with them and it was kind of hard to believe some of the things that went on. The script also needed work even though I did find most of it funny some jokes fall flat but if it wasn't for the wonderful performances then this movie would have fell flat together. The Lucky Ones isn't the best Iraq war film ever but I can't say that it didn't put a smile on my face and I actually did care about what happened to the characters it's just so hard to believe the coincidences. Overall, though The Lucky Ones doesn't really do anything original with its characters or know what to do with them this is a really well acted film with lots of Heart 2.5/4 stars.
½ May 2, 2011
Sometimes you watch a movie and you realise halfway through that "hey, this is an excellent movie!" It's not perfect, but then what is? The dialogue in the movie is pretty good, the cast is splendid and the acting absolutely kills it! I am a Rachel McAdams fan and her acting in this movie is one of the reasons why (though clearly not the only one).

Movies about the war that take on subjects as serious as this one usually tend to be gritty and grim, and they definitely have their place. But 'The Lucky Ones' has gentle (and some slapstick) humour sprinkled throughout and makes for an enjoyable watch.

Go watch it. It's good.
April 23, 2011
I wanted to like this road trip movie where the characters would make revelations and discover themselves. Instead, it was slow and contrived.
April 22, 2011
Carol worked on a couple scenes in this movie, but we couldn't see her in any of them. :-( I was kinda disappointed by the ending.
½ March 7, 2011
Quite typical road movie which has a lot of useless episodes but still delivers its idea - you can't stay unchanged after army.
½ March 7, 2011
February 22, 2011
Pleasantly surprised! I really liked this! :)
February 18, 2011
Smart, intense, and loving, The Lucky Ones may not be very realistic, but it can still charm the socks off anyone.
February 14, 2011
I was recommended this film by a member of the RT community and, despite the negative reviews, I decided to give this a shot.

On their return home on a thirty day pass from Iraq, injured soldiers Sgt TK Poole (Michael Pena) and Private Colee Dunn (Rachel McAdams) meet Sgt Fred Cheaver (Tim Robbins), a solider returning home at the end of his tour of duty.

Cheaver wants to return home to his wife and son, Poole and Dunn want to go to Las Vegas - Poole seeking a cure to his impotence following a shrapnel injury and Dunn to return a guitar to the family of her boyfriend.

When a blackout affects flights in New York, Cheaver, Poole and Dunn start a journey which takes in bar fights with college students in Indiana, spiritual healing services and invitations to a party in Kansas City, a picnic which leads to encounter with some travelling sex workers and a tornado and, ultimately, a journey of discovery for the three soldiers as they find out about each other and the country that they have become detached from and a country that appears to have changed in their absence.

Having not known about this film before, I went into it with open eyes and I'm glad I did.

The term "dramedy" is one that's getting a lot of use at the moment, but this is a film that uses it well. The humour is one the main at a chuckle level, but there are some belly laugh moments - such as the request made by Colee at the spiritual healing session on behalf of TK and Fred and a lesson in when discretion should be the better part of valour, especially when bedrooms have thin walls.

The drama is in sync with the humour, as the three characters look to compliment each others deficiencies and answer questions that are posed to them such as to the main reasons for serving in the Army and what lives they are coming back to.

All three leads work extremely well alongside each other as a sort of surrogate family for each other, you have the paternal Fred trying to keep TK and Colee in check whilst trying to make sense of his own problems. Tim Robbins is well suited to this role as a man who has to serve as referee and man who needs emotional and physical healing.

TK is, in effect, this snobbish, self important elder borther figure who dismisses Colee's life style choices and has no faith in her abilities. Michael Pena is great in this role as TK's behaviour is irritating to begin with, but as the journey goes on you get to see some of the reasons behind TK's need to develop himself.

Rachel McAdams, for me, is the standout as Colee. She is the young firebrand - trying to prove herself to Fred, TK and in some respects, to herself for her own self worth. McAdams has to give Colee an adult level self awareness to tie in with the humour and drama within the script whilst maintaining a childlike innocence throughout which is endearing and great to watch.

If you've not had the chance to watch this, give it a try on rental. I enjoyed this journey... I hope you do too.