Rails & Ties - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rails & Ties Reviews

July 30, 2015
A bit depressing and confusing not too bad though
½ January 9, 2015
To lose one mother may be regarded as a misfortune
January 2, 2015
Clint's daughter Alison Eastwood have directed this movie i think its her debut aswell. She have made a pretty good emotional drama starring Kevin Bacon. Not quite Kevin's best effort here but overall a decent flick about tragedy and hopes in life.
½ March 25, 2014
i'm devastated that this movie did not come out in my area. i've been waiting to see this movie, but i've watched small clips on the internet and of course marcia gay harden is perfect...and i'm really anxious to see the whole thing put together.
January 14, 2014
If not for the powerful performances from Bacon and Harden I don't think I would have made it through this. An okay movie with an interesting premise that came together pretty believably considering. Lagged a bit in the middle with the ending leaving it up to you to decide what happened next. 06.13

"Poignant tale of a train engineer who has to deal with a professional tragedy while trying to care for his cancer-stricken wife, faltering marriage and a new and unexpected member of the family."
January 6, 2014
From the very start of the movie you know exactly where it's going to end up and the journey up to that point isn't really that interesting.
July 12, 2013
One star for the acting.
March 28, 2013
it's about lifes that tied down together by rails..

good drama..i like it..
½ December 30, 2012
A pretty solid and emotional story line, but unfortunately, the ending killed it.
July 5, 2012
Oh, fuck you, critics! It was a very good film and Marcia Gay H. played fantastic! Kevin Bacon, too. But I'm not so sure about Heizer...
January 13, 2012
My wife commented more than once about how "horrid" this was, not because of the quality, but the abundant sorrow. Sometimes, horrid equates to stars, and I think this was a prime example. Brilliant performances by Kevin and even Marcia. I usually despise her characters, but this one I appreciated. Miles Heizer was also very good as the young orphan. Depressing and very sad, this is quite a tearjerker, but an excellent one, one that ultimately leads to a glimmer of hope for a couple of lost souls.
½ December 24, 2011
Moving drama about coming to terms with life and death
December 2, 2011
I enjoyed this movie quite a bit.Great acting by everyone.Quality movie worth the watch :)
August 8, 2011
Boy, Kevin Bacon is having a bad day: a wife with terminal cancer and killing a suicidal woman that parks her car in front of his train. On paper, that sounds totally implausible and I was ready to write "Rails and Ties" off very early, but this subtle and moving drama pulls it off. The tragedy is piled on pretty thick, but thanks to some fine writing, poignant performances and strong directing from first-timer Alison Eastwood, I was sold. Eastwood obviously inherited a lot of her famous father's talent behind the camera, as her debut is a fine example of strong and pure storytelling.
The script is strong and dramatic without being overly melodramatic, and there's not a false note or moment in the film. Oscar winner Marcia Gay Harden is a terrific actress, and she is smart and dignified here. But the real start here is Kevin Bacon, who has made plenty of fluff pictures in his career as well as downright bad ones. The guy certainly can act, and he proves it here in this mature, understated performance. He's the driving force in the movie, and with great acting like this and in the recent "Frost/Nixon", I believe he's destined to get his first Oscar nomination very soon.
Also impressive in his debut is young Miles Heizer as the young boy. He has a number of moments to shine as well, and is a key part of the film's success. It may seem like a lot to swallow, but "Rails and Ties" is deeply affecting. It's a quiet, tender and small drama that has a lot to offer to those willing to stick it out.
July 15, 2011
I believe the performances were outstanding. Would some people acted differently even in a true-to-life story than what the actors did? Ms Alison have justified the treatment of the script, congratulations.
½ July 8, 2011
This was a quirky film, but it was alright.
½ April 21, 2011
A wonderful, meaningul film.
January 19, 2011
Every scene was dripping with deep emotion and although it's a heavy drama, it was really good. The acting was done swimingly and I really liked the actors they chose for the parts. One of those movies that make you face life's realities.
December 18, 2010
heartbreaking movie with excellent performances.
December 6, 2010
Tragic story with fine performances by all actors, even the young Miles Heizer as Davey, who's mother dies at a railroad crossing when a train driven by Kevin Bacon's Tom Stark runs through her car. As the son of a railroad man, this is an unfortunately common occurrence and the decision that Stark has to make has broken many an engineer. Slam on the brakes and derail the train, possibly causing death and injury to many people, or do what you can to slow down. While this film does go a little over the top in the tearjerker model, it is an overall excellent film.