House - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

House Reviews

Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
The movie begun quite good and it looked promise at first but changed to strange things in the story. I had wanted another style of the flick. But it was a decent movie despite that and some good horror moments or shall say thriller/mystery perhaps. Anyway take a closer look , u might like it more.
December 17, 2014
House is a noble attempt to bring Horror to a wider audience. It is xtian based with no sex or cursing. The dialogue could have been smarter, but it was produced well enough to almost put chills in your bones. I hope they keep moving this direction. Thanks to ralph winters (xmen) it's not a complete loss.
December 13, 2014
weird movie, kind of creepy
October 14, 2014
House is trash! Those are the only words this movie deserves.
July 12, 2014
Run of the mill, lost in the woods so called horror film, that doesn't work.
July 6, 2014
Outro bom livro de Ted Dekker arruinado pelo trabalho medíocre do diretor Robby Henson.
May 3, 2014
One line summary: Extended guilt trips for two couples with ugly secrets.

------------------

Jack and Stephanie (a writer and a singer) drive in Alabama. Jack is driving too fast, and a cop passes him. The cop had gone ahead to block off part of the road next to an accident. Jack runs over some of the cop's cones, so they have a conversation. Jack asks for the quickest way back to the Interstate, and the cop gives them a shortcut. This turns out very badly: there is a car partially blocking the dirt road, and a do-it-yourself spike strip over the rest of the path. So, they are in the middle of nowhere with two flat tires and one spare.

Jack and Stephanie find a house with lights on inside, which looks promising. There is a guest register. Randy and Leslie (grad student in psychology, and a real estate developer) are the other involuntary 'guests,' who also ran over the same sharp iron and got flats on their BMW. Shortly after the two couples start exploring, the electricity goes out, and the men go looking for the generator.

The owners, Stewart and Betty, plus son Pete, greet them and give them some so-so news, like indifferent telephone service, no likelihood of tow trucks coming in the night, and 20 USD/person to stay the night. Pete does fix the electricity, and Betty sets a nice table.

At the dinner, the weirdness starts. The ice is impossibly cold, visions start showing up, the owners are rather menacing. When Leslie tries to leave, a menacing figure shows up at the front lawn. Betty is rather discouraged, and asks them what they did in order to bring forth the Tin Man. Leslie starts reading newspaper clippings glued to a wall, recounting an accident some years past.

Betty identifies the figure as the Tin Man. She says that he comes only for the guilty. The Tin Man drops in a tin can with rules on it. They need to deliver a body to the Tin Man by morning, or else he will kill all of them. Stewart and Betty attempt to lock the quartet in the meat locker, but they fight back.

So, do any of the protagonists survive? Just who are Stewart, Betty, Pete, and Tin Man, anyway? Do the guilty secrets of the young quartet surface? What secrets are contained in the house?

-----Scores-----

Cinematography: 7/10 Too dark, with focus a bit too soft.

Sound: 5/10 A bit hollow at times. Also, the synchronisation between actors' lips and spoken words is off, giving the impression that the whole thing is dubbed without sub-titles.

Acting: 6/10 Not great, but better than in many similar films. Lew Temple, Leslie Easterbrook, Bill Moseley, and Michael Madsen were fine, though Madsen's role was rather short.

Screenplay: 5/10 Familiar themes with not much original, though the ending did seem to be borrowed from another genre. The story does move right along.
April 24, 2014
A putrid film with way to many sub-plots and a stupid twist ending.
The worst part about the movie, is if it had been done right, it could've been similar to The Shining.
½ April 13, 2014
I'm a big fan of Ted Dekker books and this movie lives up to the intensity of his books. It's a scary movie without a bunch of gore. The story has a Christian point of view without being obvious. You're not sure what you're watching if it is a slasher/crazy people story, a ghost story, a demonic possession story, or a haunted house story. Either way it is a good scary/thriller movie that has a moral and point.
½ April 11, 2014
Creepy, but not hugely frightening and very cliche as well. I'm puzzled about the R. rating - there's no swearing, sex or huge amounts of gore befitting that kind of censorship. It was entertaining though, so if you're not expecting much, you may be surprised!
February 25, 2014
When i read the book at school i was like oh my godess i need more and then in the back it said now a motion picture i screamed in joy and i watched it on netflix it was so good and i watched it literally 4 times before i calmed down...
½ February 15, 2014
While it's not awful and it was able to keep my interest for the most part, it doesn't have much to offer that we haven't already seen elsewhere (and better).
December 18, 2013
I shouldn't overthink this since I read the book, cuz that was actually good.
½ July 2, 2013
Pronounced christian themes throughout this slightly confused Gothic horror tale. It's not a bad story, good themes of redemption and forgiveness and how we hold ourselves and others accountable for sins or perceived sins, it's just told in a muddled way. A couple of interesting twists and turns, although you really see them coming, and no real scares, but still a decent watch.
July 1, 2013
Very strange horror film.
June 13, 2013
The book was way better
blkbomb
June 12, 2013
Stewart: You're all the sorriest bunch of sinners I've ever seen!

"The Guilty Cannot Hide"

House is an awful Christian themed, psychological horror film that doesn't really offer anything new to the "stuck in a house with a killer" storyline. The film is weak in scares, is terribly acted, and the writing is beyond bad. I'm beginning to wonder why Michael Madsen continuously shows up in awful direct to DVD bullshit like this. He's the "big name" in this cast and he's only on screen for probably 10 minutes of the movie.

Two couples who both blow their tires on the same abandoned road in rural Alabama find shelter in a bed and breakfast style house on the same road. The people who own the place are a bit odd and when a lunatic shows up outside the house telling them that he needs one dead body before sunrise or all of them will die, the four visitors begin searching for a way out. The staff doesn't offer them to much help either.

As a horror fan, I'm always willing to give movies like this a chance to surprise me, but in the end, House was nothing but a waste of time. The movie is stupid, cliche, and chock full of mistakes. I get what the movie was going for, but it was done very lazily and uses familiar devices to try to get that point across. It's predictable and pointless. Pass on this one.
May 27, 2013
Complete trash. NOt an original idea, or a scare, to be found.
½ April 16, 2013
House (Robby Henson, 2007)

I didn't realize when I started watching Robby Henson (Pharaoh's Army)'s House that is was based on a collaborative novel between Frank Peretti (an author whose work I found, let's say, wanting) and Ted Dekker (whose stuff I like a great deal better). In other words, it's a "Christian movie." With, I gotta say, a pretty durned weird cast for a "Christian movie." But, as is usually the case, I'm getting ahead of myself. I'll just finish off the opening paragraph with a great, great quote from another review, published on 9Nov2008 by a user with the nick m_walker_731: "The acting was typical Christian-movie acting. There's an old saying in the Christian Film industry. 'We cannot take the able and make them faithful; we must take the faithful, and God will make them able.' This is no exception. " Oh, that's what I call a quotable review. (I should, since I just quoted it...)

Plot: Jack (She Hate Me's Reynaldo Rosales) and Stephanie (Mexican Werewolf in Texas' Heidi Dippold in, as of this writing, her final screen appearance) Singleton are lost on a back road, as is often the case in horror films, on their way to Birmingham, AL. Jack is driving too fast while arguing with Stephanie; we soon find out (this is not a spoiler, it's part of the jacket copy) that their child recently died, and each of them blames the other for her death, leading to a lot of this sort of festering argument. These distractions cause a near-miss accident, the side effects of which leave their car inoperable; they wander off and stumble upon a hotel in the middle of nowhere. When they go in, they find the lights out, but also find Randy Messarue (Curse of the Komodo's J. P. Taylor) and his fiancee Leslie Taylor (Hitch's Julie Ann Emery), the owners of the BMW Jack clipped. The four of them wander around, and finally discover the place's owners (who were down in the basement fixing the fusebox): Betty and Stewart (Leslie Easterbrook and Bill Moseley, both veterans of The Devil's Rejects) and their creepy, possibly mentally challenged son Pete (Lawless' Lou Temple). Everything starts out about as normal as it can be, but the guests soon realize the inhabitants of the house-and possibly the house itself-know more about them than is possible...

And thus I find myself back at that quote. Now, if you know me in meatspace (or if you've been following my reviews long enough for the equivalent), this may shock you, but I did the born-again thing for a couple of years back in the mid-eighties, and as a part of that, I saw more than a handful of films from m_walker_731's Christian Film Industry. And I'll tell you what-things are WAY better twenty years and change later than they were back then. In 1985, the idea that someone who'd made a mark in the secular world, like Moseley or Michael Madsen (Reservoir Dogs), would show up in something from the C.F.I. was patently ridiculous. And now, well, here we are. Madsen and Moseley have admittedly small roles, but they're here, and Easterbrook is just as crazy as she was in The Devil's Rejects. I wasn't quite as impressed with our four guests-of them, Rosales turns in the best performance by far, but there's no one terribly embarrassing here; the industry has come a long, long way from Dino DeFilippi's laughable performance in 1970's The Cross and the Switchblade.

Speaking specifically as a non-Christian here (but one who, as I mentioned before, gets a kick out of Ted Dekker's novels), I found this to be watchable, if nothing special. Another thing to note about m_walker_731's review is the assertion that this movie will make a great deal more sense to those who've read the novel. There are bits where I did find myself wondering what in the world was going on, but they were brief enough; I usually had my feet pretty firmly enmeshed in the plot. Not something to avoid, but not necessarily something to go out of the way for unless you're a big fan of one of the principals here. ** 1/2
March 4, 2013
House is a huge miss with a great setup and interesting ideas but it falls down hard with pacing issues bad screenwriting and HORRIBLE LIGHTING