Summer Palace Reviews

• Aug 12, 2020

it's banned in china mainland. fxxk

it's banned in china mainland. fxxk

• Apr 15, 2018

I would ban this movie not because of its political view (because there was none), or because of the nudity content (there were lots of bad naked scenes). I would ban it because it's such a bad movie with lots of dialogue of the main character's inside voice. The movie might be better if it's on mute. They can also delete the epilogue on what happened to the main characters. Because frankly my dear, no one gives a d***. That's 2.5 hours I'm never going to get back.

• Oct 27, 2014

Agonizingly slow, certainly weird, yet strangely artistic; great use of music and minimalist dialogue.

• Nov 22, 2013

The most explicit movie in the contemporary Chinese Cinema- in political & erotic terms.

• Nov 10, 2012

This movie, banned in China, may open with a declaration of a love story but I would like to see it as a mood piece that probably captures the milieu of the students ensnared in the tragic Tiananmen Square protests in 1989. In an era of where conservatism and liberalism clash, the students' long-repressed raw desires, worldly frustration and sadomasochism erupt like the gunfires on the streets.

• Nov 09, 2012

The whole atmosphere is quite similar to that documentary Tian An Men's last 20 minutes; some scenes even imitated it directly.

• Jun 15, 2012

A nice movie about a girl trying to find herself. Yu Hong leaves the province for Beijing to study and find her own way. She finds herself lost in the turbulence of the political events and her own not less worrying emotions. As the time goes on, she looks for happiness and has to give up her idealistic beliefs about love and life. Yet, when she seems to have found what she looked, she can't accept. A quite interesting coming-of-age movie that is not for the light-hearted because it does everything but give optimism. It has its flaws but does exceptionally well at making you feel with the lead character.

• Jun 12, 2012

One of the best movies in 2006. Hao Lei is impressing, talented actress. In the end of film reminded me of the something like Kieslowski.

• Sep 10, 2011