Ski Party Reviews

• Jan 28, 2019

Remember what you're watching and who the target audience is before you become too critical. I was thirteen when I saw this movie in a local theatre. At the time, my brother and I thought it was hilarious and, having never watched adult films like "Some Like it Hot", were introduced to the idea of cross-dressing for the first time. This was funny, too. I did not review this film as an adult. I tried to review it as I would have when I was thirteen. That was the target audience of this film anyway. For what this is, it is an excellent display of teenage "beach party" movie, even though the setting is changed to winter and the sport to skiing. The highlight of the movie is Lesley Gore singing in the bus to her then-current top 10 hit "Sunshine, Lollipops, and Rainbows". Gore was the most popular singer in America for three years in the 60s and teenagers were so enamoured of her, especially as our parents spoke harshly against the "new music" of rock n roll and condemned Lesley Gore to hell for singing evil songs like "Sunshine". We were on her side. For this genre, and for the first generation of baby boomers who were young teenagers at the time, these kind of movies were nirvana. Summary: Lesley Gore Perks Up This Film

• Sep 10, 2018

great for teen movie memorabilia of the mid 60s or for tweens. historically, highlight is the classy performances by a teenaged lesley gore, who brings maturity to the sorority house.

• May 09, 2014

Not officially a Beach Party film, but it's pretty much a Beach Party film set in the snow. Frankie and Dobie Gillis (Dwayne Hickman) chase girls on the slopes. Yvonne "Batgirl" Craig is one of those girls. Annette has a cameo at the beginning of the film, but it's not a Frankie and Annette picture. It's enjoyable enough if you like this type of film, which I do, though I like the Beach Party films better. However, this film does feature James Brown and Lesley Gore, which is a plus. Marvin Hamlisch and Dick Miller also appear uncredited in the film.

• Nov 21, 2013

A bit of a change of pace from the beach party movies ... this one plays like a 1980s sex comedy without the nudity (which I grant is a pretty major omission). It's harmless fun with a couple of great musical performances from Lesley Gore and James Brown. A large part of the plot is pretty shamelessly lifted from "Some Like It Hot", but at least they have the decency to openly acknowledge this.

• Apr 20, 2012

beach movvie and caast cast) move 2 the slopes

beach movvie and caast cast) move 2 the slopes

• Apr 18, 2012

taking the beach to the slopes

taking the beach to the slopes

• jay n Super Reviewer
    Jun 19, 2011

Taking into consideration the name of the movie is Ski Party your expectations should be low to start with but this is still a pretty dumb time waster. The major redeeming feature would be the appearances of James Brown and even more so Lesley Gore. It is funny how when ever someone sings the movie switches to stereophonic sound. Also the scene of night skiing with color flares over which the opening credits are projected is very striking but otherwise this is inane.

• Apr 16, 2011

Essentially a spin-off of AIP's beach party series. It's got Frankie, but Annette just has a brief cameo at the beginning. It lacks the goofiness of that characters like Eric Von Zipper bring to the other films, but still good for some fun.

• Oct 22, 2010

A light comedy view of everything mid-1960's, Ski Party is a sure delight to those that crave girl chasing movies instead of car chases. Duane Hickman (of TV's Dobbie Gillis), stars with Frankie Avalon (60's teen singing idol) as college breaks for snow ski lessons. So reminecient of the sixties humor style and filming technique, young viewers will find this a break from the usual special effects and cold, antiseptic plots of today. These films never tried to be Oscar nominees for anything but a fast buck at the turnstyle. Still, today they are great time capsules. Watch for James Brown, soul artist extrodinaire, performing one of his biggest hits for the rich college kids on a ski bum safari. And sadly, RT gets it wrong AGAIN. This is a comedy, not a drama. God, does anyone at RT even read the cover jacket? CAST Frankie Avalon (Sixties male teen idol, big hit singer) Yvonne Craig Patti Chandler Lesley Gore (Sixties female big hit singer) Dwayne Hickman (from "Dobbie Gillis", sixties hit TV sitcom) Mary Hughes Aron Kincaid Robert Q. Lewis Bobbi Shaw Deborah Walley Crew Executive Producer: Samuel Z. Arkoff Musician: James Brown (hit soul singer of the sixties) Producer: Gene Corman Screenplay: Robert Kaufman Director: Alan Rafkin Executive Producer: James R. Nicholson

• Apr 12, 2010

As far as I am concerned, this is the funniest of the "beach" party movies, even though the beach is only present for maybe 5 minutes of the whole movie. Ski Party went for a slightly different formula from previous beach party movies. Annette Funicello only makes a brief cameo and Frankie Avalon is instead joined with Dwayne Hickman (known to most of us as Dobie Gillis) as a set of socially challenged college boys who are determined to hit it off with some girls at a ski trip. Avalon and Hickman have great comedic chemistry together and play off of one another well as Todd and Craig. In true "beach party movie" form, the plot is ridiculous with the boys deciding to disguise themselves as girls in order to take an easier skiing class since they are certain that being better skiers will help them to woo women. Luckily, this film doesn't take itself seriously one bit, and all the breaking of the fourth wall and tongue-in-cheek comments make this silly romp even more enjoyable than it's predecessors. It's really quite a shame that they did not make more films with Avalon and Hickman paired together as a sequel is eluded to in the end credits. Apparently Frankie & Dobie didn't have the same mass appeal that Frankie & Annette had.