Skid Row - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Skid Row Reviews

May 28, 2013
it will be an eye opener for lots of people and nothing new to some. its real life
March 14, 2013
A joke. A sad attempt to look concerned while Pras tackles big problem like finding enough change to call his agent in NewYork. Quoting statistics of the lack of available public rehab facilities as he tries to scam a bed. I'm sorry no.
½ February 12, 2011
Depressing but does a reasonable job of exposing the reasons why people become homeless and why they chose to stay that way. Count your blessings.
January 30, 2011
Very interesting, some facts I did not know:
1. LA has double the homeless than NYC
2. Skid row is a 5 block radius, I thought it was one street
3. There are 5 missions and a prison within the borders or skid row

Obviously very sad and hard film to watch. Not a very typical style documentary.
I don't really know what else to say.
Very interesting.
January 10, 2011
fugee member pras goes undercover as one of the 20K or so homeless persons living in a 5 block radius of downtown los angeles. skid row, as we learn, has fallen victim to harboring homelessness since the early 1900s... with hobos looking to change their life, vietnam vets in the 60's, crack and other addicts in the 80s and now a conglomerate of them all including those suffering from serious mental illness. few are able to break free from this bondage, and this disturbing documentary shows how even if little, hope lives in the deepest darkest recesses of man.
October 31, 2010
An eye opener. Sad reality in the worlds richest country.
August 6, 2010
Fucking intense. Powerful story of Skid rown in Downtown LA. I place I love to visit when there....not Skid Row...but down town. Having a homeless little bro made this documentary hit home for me. I'm so glad I quit drinking and drug before trying crack. Probably would have done me in. I actually had to quit watching...too painful.
March 27, 2010
½ October 15, 2009
Alright documentary but wouldve been ALOT better if they put a hidden cam on a person who actually lives on Skid Row.The other thing that ruined it for me was knowing that after Pras Michel's 9 days were up, He would be going back to his house in Beverly Hills
½ August 23, 2008
come on praswell, get real
August 17, 2008
Excellent doc. Pras's experiences are fascinating and insightful and very sad. A camera solely on his expressions and reactions would have been amazing.
July 26, 2008
Ive always been fascinated and strangely curious about the homless lifestyle and culture. Ive seen my fair share of it first hand living not to far from east Vancouver and this documantary does a good job showing what Los Angeles skid row is like. But other then pointing out the obvious... homelessness, drug adiction and disease i felt like this docu didnt have much sense of direction.Its good but felt like it could have been alot more then it was.
July 17, 2008
Wow! This was an excellent documentary in showing how the people on skid row live. It's great that Pras wanted to experience it and I give him a lot of credit for spending a week out on the streets, but man that man can bitch. I think I would have enjoyed it more if they never had a celebrity in it... but that's just my opinion.
½ June 26, 2008
Pras goes undercover to downtown LA's Skid Row for 9 days. If you didn't know-Los Angeles has over 80,000 homeless and this goes far beyond the streets of Skid Row (also more than than the homeless in NY & SF combined-or NY doubled). An amazing statistical fact, this film goes beyond that idea. Skid Row is revealed as it's own struggling yet surviving community that has been around since the early 1930's. As you follow Pras and his journey into Skid Row, the ugliness of how this place came to be becomes clear. Here's another doc that leaves you wishing you knew what you could do to change this unfortunate REFLECTION of the downfall of our own ignorant government and society.
June 7, 2008
The premise of this doc was great but ultimately missed its mark. It seems they envisioned a kind of homeless version of "Supersize Me", but it really didn't come off that way. It's also hard to believe that hip-hop artists whose musical mantra is "ain't no sunshine in da ghetto"--and who usually claim to come from the streets--find it so hard to conceptualize this level of poverty. Like in the doc "Bling"--where hip-hop artists are faced with those who are truly poor and have little to no hope--it becomes obvious that the poverty of the hood just ends up being a musical commodity. Pras using the first day's panhandling to order lunch in an upscale LA eatery after turning his nose up at shelter food proved that to be true---and undermined the project (and its star) right out of the gate. I honestly don't think many homeless folk have the luxury of being vegetarian. Maybe if Pras had been more committed to truly understanding the human side of homelessness instead of focusing so much on his personal skid row endurance marathon he'd have come away with something with a little more substance. I'd also like to know what Pras has done to help the plight of the homeless on skid row since the documentary?
June 1, 2008
Disjointed and uninspired. Kudos to Pras for taking a shit in an alley and then turning around and bitching about having to pay $1.50 for a chocolate bar.
May 25, 2008
Brilliant film. Kudos to Pras for addressing the homeless issue. Gripping. I noticed a few complaints in these reviews...yes, the film could probably have addressed much more, but there is a time constraint involved. For the 1hr 20 min, I thought it was a really good film.
½ May 19, 2008
We are truly lucky to have what we have. In watching this documentary you really start thinking twice where your life is heading and you will try to avoid the worst case scenario. o be homeless. Stockholm doesn't have the mass of homless people the America has, but we still have them and thats not right.
May 14, 2008
Not a bad documentary--very gritty, but a little disjointed. While it was interesting to focus on a rap star visiting skid row, it did mean less focus on the actual denizens. However, I did like Pras' humanity as he tried to understand why young people, particularly, would choose this life.
½ April 28, 2008
Gripping...I live nearby and I didn't realize there are that many homeless people on skid row. Good idea by Pras but I though the overall production could have been better to make this doc more powerful and widespread. However, props to him for doing what he did and taking that risk. I thought it was funny when he pan-handles the first day for $15 and then spent it all on breakfast.