Flawless - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Flawless Reviews

April 15, 2016
I think that if flawless described one thing in the film, it was Michael Cain's portrayal of the role he played as the clever old janitor with a mission. Demi Moore also immersed herself well into the role of the troubled and betrayed executive, but her acting was let down slightly by the on-off English accent she was supposed to have - at times her speech was a bit slurred. It may sound old fashioned, but maybe some actors should be taking lessons in diction. This is especially true if we have to listen hard to hear them above the often very intense and loud soundtrack that goes with the film. This is what we experienced in spades with Flawless - my hearing is quite good, but I really had to strain to hear and follow the dialogue in this film. The superb performances of all the actors in this film were spoilt terribly by the totally unnecessary loud and invasive soundtrack. I think that Michael Radford should remake this film without his very loud soundtrack - the good reviews would then come flooding in, I'm sure!
January 10, 2016
At first glance, "Flawless" is a diamond hiest movie. As the movie progresses, we find out that there's more to it. Demi Moore plays a woman who works for London DI who is a victim of the "Glass Ceiling" affect. Michael Cane plays a janitor/theif out for revenge. Each has an axe to grind with London DI, but will they get away with it?

This movie is filled with strong performances all around, but at times the storytelling is a bit slow-paced, especially in the beginning. It picks up towards the end though. There isn't any blood or gore and very little special affects. If you're looking for lots of flashy special affects, you're in the wrong place. But if you're looking for more of a suspense story, this movie is right up your alley.
December 19, 2015
Frustating film with characters who seem inept and unbelievable and a convenient and implausible plot. Even the attempted heist is lacking in suspense. Michael Caine's motives seem implausible and Demi Moore's character is supposed to be very smart but doesn't seem so. The plot is only notable for the number of holes. The best part of the film is the attempted heist's method and even that isn't very ingenious.
September 22, 2015
Boring, cliche, simple and horribly substandard, this a movie to avoid watching, talking about or writing about.
July 7, 2015
This was not bad. The scenery and how it was shot was a bit.. ugh. but then again, well that is the decor of back in the day.
The insurance talk was confusing.
Moore's costumes was nice and classy. And a nice ending.
However, to me it seemed it was a bit slow for a heist film.
½ January 25, 2015
Michael Caine was very good, but overall....
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
A crime drama movie about a diamond stealing with Michael Caine and Demi Moore. The movie takes place in London 60s in a real slow tempo from start til end. It was a quite entertained story and well made flick with a good ending. I have seen better movies in its genre but this one is worth a closer look.
October 5, 2014
Interesting heist movie that is aided by Michael Caine being Michael Caine.
August 5, 2014
fuck you michael caine diamonds suck
½ March 7, 2014
There isn't much going on here, and contrary to the title, Flawless is definitely flawed. The performances are surprisingly bland, and the story is, too. There isn't much heist, diamonds, or interesting characters here; just a movie that has some style and multiple clichés.
February 25, 2014
gr8 they lost my review of this caper pic
February 24, 2014
Quite lame.. even Caine looks bored throughout the film.
December 7, 2013
Cinematography is very stylish giving a superb image that enhances the sets and the actors. Actors give a master class in intimate depiction causing this to be a must see movie. Script is clearly written and portrays the years of repetitive monotony broken by the spark of an idea that may give release. Simple, is always the best idea for any situation. Nibbles: Roast Fillet of Beef.
September 15, 2013
They meet safely at a dog race track on the wrong side of town. "What makes you think you can pull off such a thing?" asks Laura Quinn, the meticulously dressed overachiever and token female manager at the London Diamond Company. "Simply because I have a plan," responds Mr. Hobbs, the invisible cockney night janitor, whose disarming limp camouflages his privy to company secrets openly spoken in his presence.
Thus begins the planning phase of Flawless, a sophisticated heist film, set in London during the 1960's. Flawless stars Demi Moore as an American lower level executive educated at Oxford. Her conformity to company standards and endless hard work has led to survival in the male dominated world of the diamond business. Though she has been overlooked for promotion six times, she remains dignified despite a sense of frustration in continuing to outshine her male competitors. Michael Caine co-stars as the unsuspected, manipulative master mind of the heist whose hidden agendas drive the plot in directions initially unrealized by Quinn when she at first, reluctantly agrees to become his co-conspirator. At one point, the partners switch roles as Quinn masterminds adjustments to the plan addressing newly developed obstacles.
The premise of the plan, possibly unfeasible in real life terms, is nonetheless relishing to the unfolding of the heist. Based on a window of nanoseconds, slowed in actual time by the calculated movement of Caine's portrayal of the lame old man pushing an oversized cart of cleaning tools, execution of the heist is suspenseful and unnerving. The film's intrigue increases when the scope of the crime deviates from Quinn's agreement with Hobbs and creates a growing tension between the heist partners. The plot unravels as the schism between the perpetrators intensifies and Finch, the flirtatious, but savvy investigator charmingly portrayed by Lambert Wilson enters the story.
Written by Edward Anderson and directed by Michael Radford, Flawless skillfully depicts the mood of 1960's London. With musical assistance from Dave Brubeck's popular "Take Five" as its throwback theme song, the film adeptly sets the mood of a previous generation, life as it was before the women's movement and workers' rights.
Man-tailored, suited and flared in blacks and shades of grey feminizing the male business uniform, Demi Moore projects a flawless office appearance in black pumps accentuated by stunning shades of red lipstick and matching nails. While attending a reception for a Russian dignitary, she dons a grey evening dress understated but for the pinafore waist-low straps that add elegance to the tasteful pile of hair circling an attractive bouffant.
Sans car chase, sans profanity, sans nudity and sans gratuitous violence, other reviewers complain that Flawless moves too slowly and that this lack of action falls flat with contemporary audiences. I suggest that perhaps younger audiences might benefit from understanding character-driven story-telling based on substantive writing and good acting. However, I do agree with those who have noted the film's imbalance in its feeble desire to insert the heist storyline within the backdrop of a blood diamond context captured in a less than two minute montage at the beginning of the film. The film's focus on the heist is also inconsistent within the context of the women's rights themes introduced in the first scene and last scene of the film by the young reporter who is interviewing an aged Flynn. The flashback technique is unnecessary. Both themes are seen as afterthoughts which actually weaken the strength of the heist story, the film's main focus.
For me, it was the craft of the actors, the conflict created in the writing and the uneasy mood set by the directorial technique of the heist that made Flawless an enjoyable viewing experience. I gave it five stars on Netflix.
½ August 5, 2013
A layered and subdued heist movie where the heist is both simple and ingenius.
½ June 28, 2013
I thought the film was pretty flawless, very clever, interesting and intriguing plot, keeps you on edge with anticipation, strong performances from Moore and Caine.
½ May 13, 2013
A nice little caper.
April 28, 2013
An entertaining suspense thriller that's not as heavy on thriller aspect as suspense. I thoroughly enjoyed the plot twists that kept you guessing right up to the last minute. After the "how did he do it" twist was revealed, it was hard to believe the detectives on the case weren't able to figure it out. Some of the characters' back stories could have been made more dramatic, but the acting by both Moore and Caine, especially Caine, was good.
January 29, 2013
Watch it for De Niro, otherwise zilch.
January 13, 2013