The Amityville Horror Reviews

• Jun 17, 2020

I think its corny and funny which makes it a great movie so far I like it its like the omen except a house is haunting a family

• Apr 18, 2020

This is a good, creepy movie. I'm not sure why so many people hate it. I like to watch it every October. It really helps put me in the mood for the season.

• Apr 11, 2020

Total crap. The film starts off promising, and then collapses on itself. Plus, the abhorrent acting from the main guy is enough to put anyone off.

• Apr 01, 2020

Lots of misled folks didn't like it. Poor them, I say! Look it up online, it's based on a true story!

• Dec 20, 2019

I was gonna give 3 stars, but I would recommend this movie to watch. I don't get scared really easy from scary/horror movies but this one kind of creeps me out. Good acting/actors based on a true story of a haunted house and murder and paranormal activity. I must have seen all the movies/docus. based on this. Even though some people debunked it as fake, good classic horror/scary movie must see if a fan of this story etc... also based on a book written by a family that lived in the home after the family that was killed, must see once.

• Dec 10, 2019

One of the greatest horror comedies of all time....I honestly can’t believe people tell this is a good movie. They are probably more delusional than the real family!

• Nov 04, 2019

The Amityville horror does not hold up to more modern horror films. The demonic imagery of the Conjuring blows it away. Amityville scared me as a child though.

• Nov 03, 2019

It was average, still surprised at the absolute terrible reviews because I thought it wasn't that bad

• Nov 02, 2019

Even with strong performances from James Brolin, Margot Kidder, and especially Rod Steiger, as well as some mostly effective scares, The Amityville Horror stills ends up feeling like a washed down and rather generic horror flick.

• Oct 21, 2019

Review: ‘The Amityville Horror' is a supernatural-horror film directed by Stuart Rosenberg. It is based on the novel of the same name by Jay Anson. I went into this movie expecting something original and ground-breaking in horror. Now, it may have been original for its time, but there is nothing ground-breaking, scary or even entertaining about this movie. The story is based on the alleged experiences of the Lutz family who bought a new home in Amityville, New York where a mass murder had been committed the year before. Upon moving in George Litz (James Brolin) starts to experience things that don't seem normal and his wife Kathy Lutz (Margot Kidder) notices him acting strange. They soon realize they need to leave before it's too late. James Brolin did a great job in this movie. He was able to transform from this warm and gentle family man into somebody who is slowly losing their mind. I was honestly impressed with all the acting capabilities of the cast since the movie is from the late 1970's, but James Brolin is a definite stand-out. Unfortunately, good performances aren't enough to carry this movie. It is an intriguing story told in an uninteresting way. I don't like to bash movies, especially one's that I know a lot of people enjoy. This one just didn't do anything for me, or my wife who gets scared over anything to do with the Paranormal. Overall, I think this is a dated movie that didn't hold up over the years. It has solid performances, but a lazy script and cheesy scares. Perhaps I went into it with high expectations, but I don't recommend this one. 2/5