Appaloosa Reviews

• Apr 07, 2021

It's an alright watch I guess. Not sure why Virgil, with some of his high standards he portrays in the movie, stays with a woman who has really low standards when it comes to loyalty or faithfulness. Just doesn't fit his personality, he would have never put up with that from his deputy. I guess what I'm trying to say is it has a bad ending.

• Apr 03, 2021

The introduction was one of the best for a western, the first 5 minutes. Then it just kinda progressively went down from there especially after the introduction of Rene Zel. The story was pointless and nonsensical, but most of all, absolutely I have no reason to care about it nor about the characters. Very poorly written, not sure why the high ratings. I didn't even finish, just skipped ahead after watching about 1/3 of it and then just read the story on Wiki.

• Feb 24, 2021

Beautiful western cinema. Excellent performances by Ed Harris, Vigo Mortensen, Jeremy Irons. Dramatic. Beautiful music score. Really fine old Western. What's lacking for modern audiences: people doing the nasty, big explosions, gender bending (no Ramoblina's toting firearms and carrying out ninja attacks) and cartoon heroes. Sorry.

• Feb 16, 2021

I'm giving this modern western classic three and a half stars just for reviving the cinematographic elements that made the western genre so great and mythical. It sometimes really felt like I was watching a 1950's genre pic. While it isn't necessarily constantly gripping, it does have it's moments. And it's also quite an interesting character study of Ed Harris's character. It tackles themes of trust and love. And the acting is quite good as well. The chemistry between Ed Harris and Viggo Mortensen is really good. They make a good, kick-ass movie duo. Overall, Appaloosa is a well shot and very interesting and entertaining western film, which revives and gives hope to a genre that is sadly losing it's popularity. This was a good film, and I'd recommend it!!

• Jun 21, 2020

I wish it was more than a frame for frame adaptation, but the cast is great, and the story fun.

• May 26, 2020

Love the cast, they did a great job. Hasn't been a Western of this caliber for so many years. On another note, why has Ed Harris never been cast as the Desert Fox, Erwin Romel of world war two?

• May 19, 2020

Two great actors in a western and instead of a thrilling movie we get a boring dull movie. Skip this movie.

• Apr 03, 2020

Cool western. Great cast. 4/3/20 Second time seen. Rewatch

Cool western. Great cast. 4/3/20 Second time seen. Rewatch

• Feb 06, 2020

A wry, gentle, restful Western. Far more of a character drama about a sweet old cowboy and his studious and erudite partner coming to the end of their tenure as lawmen and men. Appaloosa is really a film about retirement, with superb aching wisps of Jeff Beal's score rolling by like tumbleweed and under Ed Harris' clear, crisp direction, evident that, as a fan of Westerns himself, he would make the definitive modern entry by way of making something very human and very relatable and different, and yet very much in the framework of a Western. The film is very funny; bringing lyrical and simple dialogue in the way only the very best Westerns can. It's got a lovely stunted piece of acting by Ed Harris and a spectacularly understated one by Viggo Mortensen. It's hard as nails and soft as horseshit. It's a lovely way to spend a Sunday in the company of these folk.

• Jun 05, 2019