American Venus - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

American Venus Reviews

½ July 21, 2014
Dreadful but oddly compelling mother/daughter relationship which devolves into full-on mental illness. But what the mother's illness is, is impossible to say. Perhaps empty nest anxiety coupled with a handgun erotica fixation. Weird.
½ April 5, 2010
Writer-helmer Bruce Sweeney can't decide if the lead figure is a comic caricature or pathetic mental case; his resolution is so desultory it feels like he ceased caring.
March 1, 2009
strange film...
i would not watch this again...
February 23, 2009
It's not predictable and the movie has some unexpected twists. The acting is good, the story is a little underdeveloped however, too much is not explained. It never bored me though.
½ August 10, 2008
if you see one movie about penis envy, make it this one.
July 15, 2008
Had to turn it off, the story was so long winded and what an awful plot.
½ July 14, 2008
Another movie I disliked. Celia is a disturbed woman who is addicted to handguns and needs to manipulate the people around her, especially her daughter. But I learned nothing by watching it, other than perhaps an appreciation for Canada's gun laws.
½ February 24, 2008
Not a bad movie but very strange story. I really enjoyed how the movie slowly delved into the mothers psychotic behavior. Overall mediocre flick.
½ February 17, 2008
What the fuck was this shit?
½ January 25, 2008
Over the top acting with improbable scenarios. It takes itself a little too seriously and it's chuck full of heavy handed metaphors. Rebecca DeMornay plays her stereotypical rabidly angry woman role.
½ November 19, 2007
A razer sharp social commentary on the differences between Canadians and Americans - its like American Beauty set in Canada. Sweeney's sharp social observations are brutal.
November 1, 2007
A kind of quicky, oddball kind of movie that plays nicely with the American obsession with guns. Not amazing, but worth checking out. And who knew Rebecca DeMornay was still acting!!!
½ October 13, 2007
I didn't really like this movie very much. At times it was mildly entertaining, but for the most part it was over the top and over dramatic. The story felt forced and unrealistic.