Married Life - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Married Life Reviews

May 14, 2016
Kind of boring, but not a terrible movie.
November 9, 2015
Hyvät näyttelijät, tylsä leffa... (Suom. Married life - Avioelämää)
September 14, 2014
I liked this movie, it wasn't what I expected. It has it's own unique charm. A bit drastic in some ways, but still good.
August 13, 2014
Haunting film about infidelity, relationships, and the choices we make to be happy...
½ February 6, 2014
The cast was perfect for this film.
Almost forget the other movies and TV shows they have done.
September 25, 2013
Sublime cinematography with beautiful period sets allowing the actors to laze into their parts. Pierce is a subtle narrator with a voice that tingles down the back of the neck as does his acting. The characters are a full picture as the actors give very open performances allowing the crossed romances come to their sharp glory. Society, so much more polite back then. Nibbles: Chinese Fried Vegetable Spring Rolls.
½ September 16, 2013
Very simplistically engrossing.
½ June 22, 2013
The premise and acting were fine, but I think this film's writing felt too painted over. It tries to play itself off as being more sophisticated than it really is. A decent effort, but nothing more.
½ April 24, 2013
quite a nice movie with some deep thought
½ April 17, 2013
"Married Life" is a period piece that's confident in setting the mood of the 1940's. Everybody smokes, drinks, and looks stylish-- more importantly, it reminds us of a vintage film, which more than likely was Ira Sachs' ultimate goal. He succeeds in almost every way possible. "Married Life" isn't perfect, but there's an overall feeling of sentiment towards film noir and melodrama, and it instantly sweeps us up in a way that makes every flaw forgivable in an instant.
The film begins with Harry Allen (Chris Cooper) and Richard Langley (Pierce Brosnan), two old friends that are having lunch. From just the first few seconds you're guessing that Richard will be the charming, Cary Grant type, and Harry will be his less-handsome friend that we'll ultimately end up liking more. But just as we're analyzing the characters, we're stopped by something Harry says-- he states that he wants to leave his wife but he can't bear to see her suffer-- so he'll have to kill her. After all, his mistress is stunning war widow Kay Nesbitt (Rachel McAdams), who rings with kindness.
Back at home, Harry's wife Pat (Patricia Clarkson) admits that she'd rather just have sex than an actual relationship, and we understand that the Allen's marriage definitely isn't going so well. So we of course begin to sympathize with Harry. Or should we? As the film progresses, Sachs turns the tables on us and what we thought of as the good guy may not be, and the bad guy might not be so bad after all.
"Married Life" boasts cinematography that shimmers with the warm, subdued look of Technicolor that looks great, but adds a light air of superficiality that comes to the film's liking. Unlike most films that take place in this time period, I didn't wish it was in black-and-white. It's hard to say if the film itself is a homage to film noir or a fine women's picture, but either way it wins.
The film has a touch of elegance that would in most cases, appear in a play, with well-written characters that are given good lines and chances to steal scenes, while keeping a sumptuous period setting that pays attention to every fine detail. Considering the film focuses on its four leads, it doesn't hurt.
But "Married Life" goes much deeper than a play. From the first few minutes, it feels light and airy, almost like a Woody Allen attempt at drama, but it gets a bit deeper and darker as it progresses, truly asking the question of what married life truly is and making us wonder how miserable the Allen's really are. Harry has the idea in his head that he'll murder Pat, yet he's so pathetic we don't believe he'll really pull it off. He wins a girl like Kay, but we're not sure how. By the end, I couldn't really tell if we're supposed to root for him or not, but either way, Cooper gives a great performance.
But the two women of the film are even more interesting. McAdams, who is one of the most subtly beautiful actresses at the moment as well as one of the most sweetly likable, transforms herself into what Jean Harlow may have looked like had she lived past 1937. On the outside, she's so perfect, but her fragility on the inside is played out with subdued tenderness by McAdams. Clarkson is certainly a knockout (and very underrated). She's a character that should be completely awful, but you can't help but like her sly, vaguely witty persona. She sins, but you don't really care. After all, she doesn't it better than her husband ever could. The ensemble is perfectly cast, and their performances are to die for.
"Married Life" is a hidden gem that loves the '40s more than any other period piece I've seen, and Sachs surely achieves something that no other director has successfully done-- made a modern day, Douglas Sirk-ian melodrama.
April 15, 2013
The acting is better than the direction, and it kind of peters out at the end. But I found it strangely tense and compelling.
March 11, 2013
Good, but expected it to be better. End just felt a bit flat to me. However, very nice to look at, and cast all good - kind of like of like one of the old film noir movies. Just would have liked a little more to it.
December 28, 2012
I love Rachel McAdams
December 25, 2012
This movie is really quite a waste of time. We have a man that finds his true happiness with a woman that is not his wife. His best friend meets this woman and decides to have her for his own. She breaks the poor guy's heart and he decides that he can be happy with his wife after all. Meanwhile he has plotted to poison his wife to get her out of the way. He also doesn't know that his own wife was cheating on him with another man. In the end absolutely nothing is different that it was in the beginning of the movie.
October 10, 2012
Who Cares? The story is mundane and nothing out of the ordinary for a storyline. No real twists nor surprises. The only thing unexpected about this flick is that so many big name actors are in this. Really a waste of your viewing time.
October 1, 2012
What part of this was suppose to be good? The part about killing your wife or stealing your best friend's girl. Don't waste your time.
½ June 1, 2012
quite a nice movie with some deep thought
May 15, 2012
Ahh my love for Pierce Brosnan just came running back!
April 5, 2012
couldnt get in to it fell asleep
½ March 24, 2012
Watched Married Life. A fresh take on how do things work out in a relationship and marriage! The performances by each and every actor, the interesting script and direction makes this movie more than just watchable. Also, the narration by Pierce Brosnan throughout the whole movie is funny, comedic and gives the movie a whole new dimension. Almost like a Woody Allen movie. And i dont understand why its very under rated! I had a good time watching it!