The Freshman - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Freshman Reviews

½ October 16, 2016
Very funny! I was an extra for the mall chase scene and, during long set-up breaks, got to talk with Matthew Broderick briefly and saw my film idol Marlon! Also saw Helen Hunt visit the set.
Loved it!
August 16, 2016
Mildly amusing sendup of the Godfather series, with the one logical choice is top billing in this pic. Great for a date night or a late night flick for the guys to watch while starting on their fourth beer of the night. A must see if only to hear Bert Parks singing that song once again, albeit with modified lyrics. You might also discuss whether you'd dare to refuse a big, wet, sloppy kiss from Brando - remember - it's a sign of respect. Or if you'd sleep with Paul Benedict's character on the casting couch.
½ February 23, 2016
Marlon Brando steals the show with this light-hearted comedy
February 7, 2016
The funny side of Don.
August 13, 2015
I like watching Brando, always and forever. This movie was not funny. It was very weak in characters and plot. Cute is all.
½ April 12, 2015
I had high hopes for this as I love Brando and comedy, so I honestly thought this would be one of my better purchases, also the 93% rating on this site.

I can honestly say, unbelievable disappointment, the film wasn't funny, the jokes were extremely thin, Brando was there for the paycheck. The script is junk, the jokes bizarre but not actually funny and the story beyond ridiculous.

The main character Matthew Broderick the naive young man who is taken in the by the mob to courier protected Komodo dragon for mob boss Brando is so dumb and naive to the point that you can't take it seriously. "Jokes" or odd situations are unbelievable and stupid that it couldn't be funny.

For example the Komodo runs away and into a shopping mall, a small komodo and apparently that scares everyone in the building into a panic, and they have trouble getting it back as the dragon somehow gets itself onto elevators and so on...please.

For absolutely no reason at all Brando finds Broderick endearing and brings him into the famliy without barely knowing him...makes no sense at all.

The sidekick who recruits Broderick to be courier is also so dumb it's beyond belief, almost mental retardation level stupidity.

This might get a 93% if you're about 6 years old and have drank a bottle of coke, but for anyone with a functioning adult brain you would want a goddamn refund.
March 25, 2015
A bit jumbled and overblown but the godfather parody works.
March 22, 2015
A classic movie I have only just got around to seeing. They don't make films like this anymore. Great performance from Marlon Brando playing off his Godfather role and some good humour and well developed plot make this an enjoyable watch.
November 20, 2014
Marlon Brando reprises the role of Don Corleone from The Godfather....well, kinda. This film is a little older than me, but I thoroughly enjoyed the charm and chemistry between Brando and Broderick here. Basically, Broderick is a college student who falls into a job working for Brando where he helps import endangered species for cooking and consumption. This young lad doesn't know that they are going to be eaten and that he has fallen into an illegal scheme. I thought this movie was funny and it was a thrill to see Brando sort of playing that character we know and love from THE GODFATHER (with subtle Godfather jokes sprinkled into the dialogue here). Highly recommend you give it a watch.
August 22, 2014
The Brando scenes made me smile or laugh. The rest of the movie can be fast-forwarded through
August 12, 2014
(First and only viewing - 8/6/2008)
½ May 15, 2014
Marlon Brando was definitely the most interesting element of the movie, even if I found it hard to understand some of his lines. Broderick was somewhat stiff, which perhaps was viable for the character in those situations, but still wasn't so interesting to watch.

I actually thought the story was kind of lame for the most part. But as things came up to the end it actually picked up a bit, and had a decent ending.

It had a few medium funnies, but not as many as I expected.
½ April 29, 2014
Written and directed by Andrew Bergman, (Honeymoon in Vegas (1992) It Could Happen to You (1994) Striptease (1996) Isn't She Great (2000)), this mob comedy has it's lead sending up his own performance in The Godfather (1972), and he's a good sport for being game to do this film., while it is a tad cliched, it does have some good jokes on display and some good performances too, and it's worth a look. Clark Kellogg (Matthew Broderick) moves from Vermont to study at New York University, but he soon has his money and clothes stolen by Victor Ray (Bruno Kirby), but Clark later confronts Victor, who feels bad, and agrees to give Clark his money and clothes back, so long as he does a favour for his uncle Carmine Sabatini (Marlon Brando). Carmine wants Clark to pick up a Komodo dragon from JFK Airport, and deliver it to Larry London (Maximilian Schell) and his assistant, Edward (BD Wong). Clark does so with his university roommate roommate Steve Bushak (Frank Whaley). But they soon find themselves being investigated by the Department of Justice. It's a very silly film, but it does have some good laughs, and it has shades of what was to come nearly a decade later with Mickey Blue Eyes (1999), another fish out of water comedy with mob sensibilities. Even though Brando predicted the film would be the biggest flop ever at the time, he gives one of his best performances in it.
½ January 9, 2014
forget about ingrid and ingmar. andrew bergman is the top bergman. thank goodness noclass cage wasn't available.
½ November 8, 2013
Funny and likable, though I didn't appreciate how much they took Jesus's name in vain. However, it seems at times that in a way the usage shows a sense of belief and connection with our Creator... it's hard to tell how they intended it.
September 6, 2013
Fun movie from start to finish.
½ August 24, 2013
I always thought this was just another Godfather-like Mafia film, and I guess I was kind of right.

Brando is CLEARLY playing the same Godfather type, and most of the plot revolves around Broderick in film school watching Godfather II.

I thought that kind of hurt this film, but the great cast really helped move it along.

I went to film school, so I could relate to all that stuff. Including the douche Professor that makes you buy his own book!!!! Argh! I so hated that garbage.

I liked how it wasn't all it seemed to be cause I liked some of these characters. Broderick and Whaley are really good together here, but as always Miller just steals the show. She may be the most adorable actress ever.

The Komodo Dragon was freaky looking and I applaud all the actors for touching it...I'd be running away.

Would have been much better if it wasn't winked at the audience so much about Brando looking like Brando in Godfather.
½ August 14, 2013
Watched around July 2012
July 16, 2013
Entertaining home movie for the family. A simple story with some fun twists.
April 24, 2013
I wanted to like this way more than I did, especially since it's about a film student and pays homage to 'The Godfather'. I'm shocked at how high the critics' reviews are on here. I thought it was just so-so. I have been meaning to give it another chance one day.