Moon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Moon Reviews

April 15, 2017
Poignant story about an astronaut working alone on the moon in a mining operation. He discovers that he is a clone and the original is still back on Earth.
½ April 11, 2017
With a minimal cast, this is an intriguing, well shot movie that will keep you guessing throughout and one that has a very "Twilight Zone" feeling about it.
April 4, 2017
"Moon" is a compelling work of science fiction. It dives into the aspect of a psychological thriller and implements it well. It pays a tribute to classic science fiction movies by combining different elements to make one of the best movies of 2009. Sam Rockwell's great performance drives the movie even more. It starts off like a simple case of cabin fever. But astronaut Sam Bell spirals into madness due to bizarre things he experiences that make him question what's going on. As he discovers more about his surroundings, tension rises as his life becomes more critical. Throughout the whole movie, the viewer constantly thinks what else does the movie have in store for the characters? The movie is somewhat tense throughout. It has a great soundtrack that raises tension even more. The constant feeling of being alone creates a great and chilling atmosphere. It relies on its plot twists but in a different and unique way. Director Duncan Jones has made a great name for himself by this superb work of science fiction.
½ March 25, 2017
existencial as hell, really smart and accurated plus likeable characters and kevin spacey. great si-fi movie
½ March 17, 2017
"The film is not entirely logical, but it raises pleasing questions and looks beautiful."
½ March 17, 2017
An unique piece of Science-FIction depicted on film, Duncan Jones' mind-boggling debut impresses without fail, and also derives a fantastic performance from Sam Rockwell.
March 16, 2017
'Moon' has Landed

'Moon' came out in 2009. I didn't see it. Big mistake.

'Moon' has great cast consisting of...Sam Rockwell playing Sam, and Sam, and Sam. ??While more mystery could have been added to the identities of the characters, it's well written, acted, compelling and suspenseful like most science fiction movies aren't.

It's the best science fiction film in the last eight years.

Better than Interstellar? Check.
Better than The Martian? Check.
Better than Arrival? Check.
Better than Gravity? Double Check.

Not only is it more interesting and suspenseful than those films, it is more scientifically plausible in many ways, or at least the script makes it SEEM plausible. And it features Sam Rockwell at his best.

Did I say it looked good? The station is spectacular and well filmed. By the way, Kevin Spacey does the voice of GERTY, the station's robot. That's the best robot I have heard since the Hal9000. And that damn creepy smiley face!

??Rating: Pay full price, see it twice.

The film didn't get any Oscar nominations. I guess it was too thoughtful. But it won and was nominated for several BAFTAs and other awards.

Peace, Tex
March 14, 2017
What would happen if Stanley Kubrick sent Jack Torrance to space instead of Keir Dullea? is my first thought.

I love that this is a film which never takes itself too seriously in moments where I'm sure many directors would think to overdramatize. Duncan Jones keeps to the moment and we're never flared up too much. I like the even pacing. There's a unique naturalism between the two Sam's, which was unexpected.

Here's a joke within itself: what if Sam Rockwell were stuck in space with himself? It is about capturing that personality in space which is interesting, that's part of the genius of this film. He's a modern Americana actor with a familiar sardonic tone that you can imagine would be torture in isolation. A literal manifestation of another part of himself comes to physical fruition, ouch! Who knows how many clones there are of Sam?

Every time we transition from a satellite perspective, we get the feel that Sam is simply out of control.

At the 50 minute mark, I don't understand why Gerty reveals the truth about Sam's clone. Perhaps it's protocol, under unlikely circumstances that this meeting should occur, so that both clones are desensitized to their apparent lack of significance.

Like most of us, Duncan Jones is a director finding the humane within Kubrickian inspiration. This is a story of self-sacrifice, of rebelling against the constraints of corporate power. It's optimistic, tugs at the heart, and never becomes as much of a horror as the trailer depicts.
March 13, 2017
This film uses elements of science fiction movies we've all seen before, but adds enough for it to be a different experience. Worth watching for the morality questions it raises alone. Sam Rockwell also proves himself, as he has several times, as one of the more underrated actors around.

One thing I would have liked is an explanation of why every one of the clones deteriorated/got sick after their 3-year "contracts"... were they designed this way? I would have also wanted to know the final destination of the bodies after their service as an addition to what we found out about where the new ones came from.
March 13, 2017
The atmosphere sucked me in in no time. And Sam Rockwell: omg, he's so perfect in this. I love the music, the story,, mainly everything. Oh, and *spoiler*: finally a robot who doesn't turn evil and is not against humans.
February 23, 2017
Personally, one of my favourite sci fi films. I've watched it at least 5 times, and I cried with every viewing. This is a very emotional masterpiece. Bravo.
February 21, 2017
Grade - C-
I really don't see what everyone likes so much about this movie. If you dig deep enough you'll find some interesting themes and ideas, but Duncan Jones' 'Moon' ultimately feels like a slightly hollow drag. That being said, there were definitely elements of the movie I admired, just not enough to make it a good movie.
February 16, 2017
A Great Space movie with Low Budget Arthouse flair. Totally original and carried almost completely baby Sam Rockwell's performance.
January 22, 2017
Moon is a disturbing, funky, fascinating work of science fiction. It's set on the grim, sterile surface of the moon, where one man is left by himself to mine the planet for his corporation. The backdrops are dark and lifeless, so the film feels very dreary. The base is sleek and gloomy, with little sound or energy. The character at the center of it is goofy and complex. He is a quirky astronaut who talks to his plants and mumbles to himself because he's been in isolation for too long. The one thing that grounds him is the idea that soon he will be able to leave his lonely space station and journey home, to see his wife and little girl. And the thrust of the film involves tearing that notion away from him.

Moon's brilliance is in its thought-provoking, heart-breaking premise. This is a tragic psychological drama, where Sam discovers that he isn't alone on the moon and, ultimately, that he isn't real. He is a fabricated clone of a man who once worked for the same company he does, and his dilemma shifts from longing for his family to wrestling with the reality that his identity is completely artificial. He is isolated, alone and left to reconcile that neither he or the relationships he clings to are real. He also discovers that because he knows the truth, the company will send mercenaries to kill him before their secret gets out. Ironically, he finds company in a fellow, identical clone of himself, who work together to discover the truth and eventually escape.

One of the more interesting aspects of the film was the interplay between the two clones. Sam Rockwell creates an incredible and intense performance by playing two versions of the same man, often facing off against each other. One is a goofier, more aloof man, made delirious by his isolation and work. The other is a fresh clone who is tightly wound and angry, ready to work. The two argue and bicker and eventually come to an understanding so that they can survive. I think the camera work and special effects were ridiculous. I have no earthly idea how they were able to have shots of Sam Rockwell playing ping pong with himself, crossing over himself, even talking to the other man in simultaneous still frames. It was a sad, but rewarding intellectual experience.
January 18, 2017
A work of art that takes the genre of science fiction and adds feelings to it in a way never done before.
January 14, 2017
Sam Rockwell impresses above all, 8.5/10.
½ December 28, 2016
Acting exceptional. Scenariu coerent pana la final.
½ December 27, 2016
great movie with an interesting story, great acting and a beastly musical score. (1 viewing)
½ December 11, 2016
"Moon" is quite a derivative sci-fi film, yet the atmosphere Duncan Jones, in his debut, manages to create is remarkable. Sam Rockwell makes for a convincing lead, aided by Kevin Spacey's reassuring voice, whereas the soundtrack is excellent. Jones shows visual mastery as well as a knack for storytelling of the mindfuck sort. "Moon" is far from flawless and leaves questions unanswered, but captivates with its plot, audiovisual splendor and overall melancholic, solitary overtones.
December 10, 2016
definitely not what I expected, but still pretty good. a movie detailing the potential consequences of genetic engineering gone too far - the concept was cool and relevant and this was a mind chilling thriller. the big issue is that they gave away the twist way too early in my opinion. I figured out the ending within 30 minutes, meaning it honestly wasn't too thrilling by the end.