Moon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Moon Reviews

September 18, 2017
"Moon" is a compelling work of science fiction. It dives into the aspect of a psychological thriller and implements it well. It pays a tribute to classic science fiction movies by combining different elements to make one of the best movies of 2009. Sam Rockwell's great performance drives the movie even more. It starts off like a simple case of cabin fever. But astronaut Sam Bell spirals into madness due to bizarre things he experiences that make him question what's going on. As he discovers more about his surroundings, tension rises as his life becomes more critical. Throughout the whole movie, the viewer constantly thinks what else does the movie have in store for the characters? The movie is somewhat tense throughout. It has a great soundtrack that raises tension even more. The constant feeling of being alone creates a great and chilling atmosphere. It relies on its plot twists but in a different and unique way. Director Duncan Jones has made a great name for himself by this superb work of science fiction.
September 9, 2017
Best performance I've seen yet.
September 5, 2017
Without spoiling anything, the plot is COMPLETELY IMPLAUSIBLE. Otherwise it's alright.
½ August 24, 2017
I loved this movie. Sam Rockwell knocks it out of the park again. Kevin Spacey as the robot assistant is amazing as well. Fascinating world and potential.
July 31, 2017
Astronaut Sam Bell's (Sam Rockwell) three-year shift at a lunar mine is finally coming to an end, and he's looking forward to his reunion with his wife (Dominique McElligott) and young daughter. Suddenly, Sam's health takes a drastic turn for the worse. He suffers painful headaches and hallucinations, and almost has a fatal accident. He meets what appears to be a younger version of himself, possibly a clone. With time running out, Sam must solve the mystery before the company crew arrives.
½ July 27, 2017
Ambitious movie that didn't really pull me in. I don't hate it but I wouldn't recommend this movie unless you are a die hard science fiction fanatic.
July 23, 2017
Him: This is not as good as Space Odyssey
Me: You cannot compare every film to Space Odyssey!!!

Whereas Space Odyssey could be a grand display of Nietzsche's ideas on recurrence, Moon is perhaps a quiet meditation from a more human perspective

Clone II learning wood carving from Clone I brings to mind this particular passage from Nietzsche: What, if some day or night a demon were to steal after you into your loneliest loneliness and say to you: "This life as you now live it and have lived it, you will have to live once more and innumerable times more; and there will be nothing new in it, but every pain and every joy and every thought and sigh and everything unutterably small or great in your life will have to return to you, all in the same succession and sequence-even this spider and this moonlight between the trees, and even this moment and I myself. The eternal hourglass of existence is turned upside down again and again, and you with it, speck of dust!"

Just as the starchild in the last scene of Space Odyssey could be a reference to Bodhisattva (??), Clone II puts on his yellow sleeping suit and starts a new journey at the end of Moon. Let the adventure begin.
½ July 13, 2017
A brilliantly acted and delightfully intricate puzzle box of a movie, that will keep you thinking until from the first scene to the very last. Sam Rockwell is truly exceptional in one of the best performances of all time, in my opinion, which is no easy task considering he doesn't really have any other actors to perform against. The directing is great, creating a claustrophobic and tense atmosphere and the screenplay is able to pack lots of twists and emotion into the 90 minute run time. The ending is great and it's a film that definitely has rewatch value. It isn't perfect as it can be slow at times but it's still great. Highly recommended for any fans of slow paced and mind bending sci-if. A
½ June 2, 2017
Review (1~5)

#Content: Script 4 | Acting 3 | Cinematography 3 | Film Editing 3

#Visual: Costume Design 3 | Makeup & Hairstyling 3 | Scenic Design 3 | Lighting 3 | Visual Effects 3

#Sound: Score & Soundtracks 4 | Sound Editing & Mixing 4

#Overall (1~10): 7
½ May 29, 2017
Moon is amazing! If you like thought provoking Sci-fi films this is the movie for you. Sam Rockwell is amazing and plays multiple roles. Kevin Spacy lends his voice and is great as well. The concept of this film is one of the best ever and I don't want to tell you anything more because going in blind would be the best way to experience this film. My only flaw is I thought it started out a little slow but once it get a going you are in for an incredible ride. Great job Mr. Duncan Jones!
April 27, 2017
Giant Leap for Mankind: Notions of Humanity in Duncan Jones's Moon (2009)

Moon (2009) by Duncan Jones is an unusual sci-fi film. It isn't about super-intelligent robots turning upon men rather men turning in to robots. The film explores the human condition in a world where human worth is determined by economic productivity. It is set in a not so peculiar futuristic era where humans have found a replacement for fossil fuels in the form of a mysterious gas, Helium 3 in the moon. The plot revolves around an astronaut miner Sam Bell who is responsible for harvesting this gas under a three-year contract with a multinational corporation- Lunar. Sam lives on an outpost on the farther side of the moon with his only company being the memories of his earthly life and his own personal robot GERTY.
The films chronicles Sam's life on the moon. The audience is exposed to the isolation experienced by the protagonist. This is facilitated by the pristine white machine filled space in which Sam lives in. The still shots capture the monotony of Sam's everyday routine. Surrounded by machines, Sam resembles a machine. Even within this mechanistic confinement, the audience gets to observe the humanity of Sam through his witty humor, his playful interactions with GERTY and his intense longing to get back to his family. Sam becomes a person to be sympathized with. The audience too, longs for Sam to be able to return to earth, to be able to be reunited with his wife and his newborn child whom he so dearly misses. The film does an incredible job of establishing a connection between the audience and the protagonist. Through witnessing Sam's dreams and hallucination, the audience becomes invested in Sam.

Through Sam the film hints at the human condition in modern society. The age of industrialization we live in is not very different from the futuristic world of the film. It questions the value of the 'human being' in a society where profit and economic productivity are given the utmost importance. In such a society does a person also become a sum of the services he/she can provide or is there more value to human life? The film sheds light on the darker aspects of capitalism and what it intends for the human race. The plot of the film shows how in a purely capitalist world human connections and relationships are just a diversion from the actual purpose of producing economic value. Sam's activities in space which include enjoying music, conversing with GERTY, carving wooden sculptures, even his video talks with his family are actually just means to keep him in a mental state in which he can be most efficient at his work. The aspects of his life other than his work are not essential rather they are distractions necessary to keep him sane. Not because Insanity is harmful for the human psyche but because it is a liability for a capitalist corporation.
Sam's story is one of enlightenment for both the audience and Sam himself. In the beginning of the film, we see Sam as compliant with the corporation's directive. He believes his work on the moon is for the greater good of humanity. With this altruistic motivation he spends day after day carrying out his job. This kind of resembles the lives of people in today's world, who are incognisant to the true motives of huge corporations and try to seek meaning in the work they do through creating a selfless justification for their toil under a system that leaves them with little fulfilment. As the film progresses, the audience witnesses the transformation of Sam, he becomes more and more dissatisfied with his conditions on the moon. He becomes growingly disillusioned with any sort of higher purpose and just can't wait to return home.
As his time to return comes closer the film takes an unexpected turn. Sam wakes up after an accident to find in his room a stranger who looks exactly like him. His meeting this strangely familiar new arrival is a turning point in Sam's life. With the arrival of this new Sam, the films atmosphere changes. A previously cold white and silent mood turns more colourful. The lighting becomes warmer to indicate the return of human spirit. The confinement becomes less bleak. The two Sam's start a friendship. As Sam becomes more in touch with his humanity, his anger, his weakness, his fondness of human interaction and love for life, he becomes more aware of the static life he has been leading up to now. Hence through the presence of the other, Sam establishes his own reality. Just like Marx in Capital (1867) - "It is with man as with commodities. Since he comes into the world neither with a looking glass in his hand, nor as a Fichtean philosopher, to whom 'I am I' is sufficient, man first sees and recognises himself in other men. Peter only establishes his own identity as a man by first comparing himself with Paul as being of like kind. And thereby Paul, just as he stands in his Pauline personality,
becomes to Peter the type of the genus homo." (19) Through Sam's consciousness of the true nature of his condition on the moon, the audience too realizes that their roles in the corporate world are not as innocent as they seem. Everything Sam used to believe in turns out to be illusory. It is revealed that Sam is never actually going to return home to earth. The corporation has been deceiving Sam. He is just one amongst thousands of clones created to provide labor for the company's outer space industrial unit. He is dispensable.
The film brings out oppositions and similarities between machine and human to reiterate the theme of the film. On one hand Sam undergoes a self-realization to come at a conclusion that he is not machine, his inherent spirit and values make him human and that liberates him from being confined inside a robotic life, on the other hand GERTY is a robot who is more human than the humans who run the corporation. GERTY shows compassion and servitude towards Sam and goes on to help him break free from his confinement. This provides a powerful metaphor for men. The film poses a question: In an age where even robots are more humane than humans themselves, does the human spirit hold any distinction?
The film through projecting a futuristic dystopia, send out a clear message. The forces of capitalism which are so influential in our lives should not be allowed to overpower the sanctity of our humanity. We as people should resist the pressure of becoming a commodity: simply a cog in the workings of the industrialist machine we call society. As Sam says to GERTY
"We're not programmed, we're people" (1:28:21)

Citations

Marx, Karl, and David McLellan. "Chapter 1." Capital (1867). Vol. 1. Oxford: Oxford UP, 2008. N. pag. Print.

Moon. Dir. Duncan Jones. Sony Pictures Classics, 2009.
April 15, 2017
Poignant story about an astronaut working alone on the moon in a mining operation. He discovers that he is a clone and the original is still back on Earth.
½ April 11, 2017
With a minimal cast, this is an intriguing, well shot movie that will keep you guessing throughout and one that has a very "Twilight Zone" feeling about it.
½ March 25, 2017
existencial as hell, really smart and accurated plus likeable characters and kevin spacey. great si-fi movie
½ March 17, 2017
"The film is not entirely logical, but it raises pleasing questions and looks beautiful."
½ March 17, 2017
An unique piece of Science-FIction depicted on film, Duncan Jones' mind-boggling debut impresses without fail, and also derives a fantastic performance from Sam Rockwell.
March 16, 2017
'Moon' has Landed

'Moon' came out in 2009. I didn't see it. Big mistake.

'Moon' has great cast consisting of...Sam Rockwell playing Sam, and Sam, and Sam. ??While more mystery could have been added to the identities of the characters, it's well written, acted, compelling and suspenseful like most science fiction movies aren't.

It's the best science fiction film in the last eight years.

Better than Interstellar? Check.
Better than The Martian? Check.
Better than Arrival? Check.
Better than Gravity? Double Check.

Not only is it more interesting and suspenseful than those films, it is more scientifically plausible in many ways, or at least the script makes it SEEM plausible. And it features Sam Rockwell at his best.

Did I say it looked good? The station is spectacular and well filmed. By the way, Kevin Spacey does the voice of GERTY, the station's robot. That's the best robot I have heard since the Hal9000. And that damn creepy smiley face!

??Rating: Pay full price, see it twice.

The film didn't get any Oscar nominations. I guess it was too thoughtful. But it won and was nominated for several BAFTAs and other awards.

Peace, Tex
March 14, 2017
What would happen if Stanley Kubrick sent Jack Torrance to space instead of Keir Dullea? is my first thought.

I love that this is a film which never takes itself too seriously in moments where I'm sure many directors would think to overdramatize. Duncan Jones keeps to the moment and we're never flared up too much. I like the even pacing. There's a unique naturalism between the two Sam's, which was unexpected.

Here's a joke within itself: what if Sam Rockwell were stuck in space with himself? It is about capturing that personality in space which is interesting, that's part of the genius of this film. He's a modern Americana actor with a familiar sardonic tone that you can imagine would be torture in isolation. A literal manifestation of another part of himself comes to physical fruition, ouch! Who knows how many clones there are of Sam?

Every time we transition from a satellite perspective, we get the feel that Sam is simply out of control.

At the 50 minute mark, I don't understand why Gerty reveals the truth about Sam's clone. Perhaps it's protocol, under unlikely circumstances that this meeting should occur, so that both clones are desensitized to their apparent lack of significance.

Like most of us, Duncan Jones is a director finding the humane within Kubrickian inspiration. This is a story of self-sacrifice, of rebelling against the constraints of corporate power. It's optimistic, tugs at the heart, and never becomes as much of a horror as the trailer depicts.
March 13, 2017
This film uses elements of science fiction movies we've all seen before, but adds enough for it to be a different experience. Worth watching for the morality questions it raises alone. Sam Rockwell also proves himself, as he has several times, as one of the more underrated actors around.

One thing I would have liked is an explanation of why every one of the clones deteriorated/got sick after their 3-year "contracts"... were they designed this way? I would have also wanted to know the final destination of the bodies after their service as an addition to what we found out about where the new ones came from.
March 13, 2017
The atmosphere sucked me in in no time. And Sam Rockwell: omg, he's so perfect in this. I love the music, the story,, mainly everything. Oh, and *spoiler*: finally a robot who doesn't turn evil and is not against humans.