Moon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Moon Reviews

January 22, 2017
Moon is a disturbing, funky, fascinating work of science fiction. It's set on the grim, sterile surface of the moon, where one man is left by himself to mine the planet for his corporation. The backdrops are dark and lifeless, so the film feels very dreary. The base is sleek and gloomy, with little sound or energy. The character at the center of it is goofy and complex. He is a quirky astronaut who talks to his plants and mumbles to himself because he's been in isolation for too long. The one thing that grounds him is the idea that soon he will be able to leave his lonely space station and journey home, to see his wife and little girl. And the thrust of the film involves tearing that notion away from him.

Moon's brilliance is in its thought-provoking, heart-breaking premise. This is a tragic psychological drama, where Sam discovers that he isn't alone on the moon and, ultimately, that he isn't real. He is a fabricated clone of a man who once worked for the same company he does, and his dilemma shifts from longing for his family to wrestling with the reality that his identity is completely artificial. He is isolated, alone and left to reconcile that neither he or the relationships he clings to are real. He also discovers that because he knows the truth, the company will send mercenaries to kill him before their secret gets out. Ironically, he finds company in a fellow, identical clone of himself, who work together to discover the truth and eventually escape.

One of the more interesting aspects of the film was the interplay between the two clones. Sam Rockwell creates an incredible and intense performance by playing two versions of the same man, often facing off against each other. One is a goofier, more aloof man, made delirious by his isolation and work. The other is a fresh clone who is tightly wound and angry, ready to work. The two argue and bicker and eventually come to an understanding so that they can survive. I think the camera work and special effects were ridiculous. I have no earthly idea how they were able to have shots of Sam Rockwell playing ping pong with himself, crossing over himself, even talking to the other man in simultaneous still frames. It was a sad, but rewarding intellectual experience.
January 18, 2017
A work of art that takes the genre of science fiction and adds feelings to it in a way never done before.
January 14, 2017
Sam Rockwell impresses above all, 8.5/10.
½ December 28, 2016
Acting exceptional. Scenariu coerent pana la final.
½ December 27, 2016
great movie with an interesting story, great acting and a beastly musical score. (1 viewing)
½ December 11, 2016
"Moon" is quite a derivative sci-fi film, yet the atmosphere Duncan Jones, in his debut, manages to create is remarkable. Sam Rockwell makes for a convincing lead, aided by Kevin Spacey's reassuring voice, whereas the soundtrack is excellent. Jones shows visual mastery as well as a knack for storytelling of the mindfuck sort. "Moon" is far from flawless and leaves questions unanswered, but captivates with its plot, audiovisual splendor and overall melancholic, solitary overtones.
December 10, 2016
definitely not what I expected, but still pretty good. a movie detailing the potential consequences of genetic engineering gone too far - the concept was cool and relevant and this was a mind chilling thriller. the big issue is that they gave away the twist way too early in my opinion. I figured out the ending within 30 minutes, meaning it honestly wasn't too thrilling by the end.
December 3, 2016
My favourite movie of 2000s
December 1, 2016
It was OK but I was disappointed with the ending as it just seemed to fizzle out : having 'the reveal' half way through the film was the point where they might as well have just run the end credits as far as I was concerned. Worth watching though.
½ November 22, 2016
Just could not get on with this. Felt like it was lacking that something. A promising story that fell flat.
November 21, 2016
I mean it's a good movie but I'm not going to talk about it everyday.
½ October 15, 2016
Intelligent, moon shows us that you sometimes we can not tolerate us ourselves
October 15, 2016
Promettente debutto alla regia per Duncan Jones, che riesce a creare un film ricco di tensione e di un ottima interpretazione del protagonista. Purtroppo la storia mi ha lasciato un po' confuso, ma in generale sono rimasto soddisfatto.
October 11, 2016
I absolutely loved this movie
October 6, 2016
Brilliant and original with no aliens...and a science fiction movie which will leave audiences pondering the central theme or message; long after the final credits have finished rolling !
October 5, 2016
Sam Rockwell has to be one of the most underrated actors out there.
½ September 12, 2016
This movie is awesome and fantastics?love it?
September 6, 2016
An unexpected sci-fi drama gem! Great concept that makes you think. Sam Rockwell has got serious game!
September 4, 2016
Brilliant performance by Sam Rockwell.