Moon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Moon Reviews

August 8, 2016
"Sam, get some sleep. You're very tired."

I have to say, from all the critical praise this movie gets, I'm a little underwhelmed/disappointed I'm afraid. But that doesn't mean this film is by any means a disaster, it's quite the opposite actually.

Let's start with the positives. Firstly, Sam Rockwell can act, he plays Sam Bell (TOO MANY SAMS) , an astronaut who maintains harvesters on the moon that gives energy back to the earth. His performance, especially as the deteriorating version of himself, plays out like an absolute fever dream. It's pretty damn excellent. The soundtrack to this film is wonderful. Combining a somber piano tune with the mysteries scattered in the movie. The atmosphere is cold, simplistic, but cold. Which I guess capitalises on the colour scheme of the movie itself, black and white. GERTY, played by Kevin Spacey, is a big help (maybe top much of a help as I'll explain later). The cinematography and stage design are all on par. But Moon has plenty of wafer-thin plot devices that unfortunately drag it down.

The emotional connection between Sam and his daughter, through his perspective is absolutely harrowing, but through the audiences eyes I feel as if Duncan Jones could've done more visually to interpret his mental breakdown as a clone. The dramatic elements of this movie, whilst mysterious, are unfortunately uneventful for the most part. Yes, there is somewhat of a 'big reveal', but it's bought down by how explained it is. A robotic giveaway by GERTY. Sam's illness could've been highlighted a bit more, there is some gross signs of his body whittling away at itself, but mentally I feel like instead of maybe using a metaphor which is also grounded in reality, Duncan Jones could've utilised the 'perception vs reality' concept hinted at around the time Sam pours boiling water on himself.

In what could've been a fever dream of ambiguity, Moon is sadly not the cold chilling film it could've been. There are some great moments of brokenness, but the character's motivation and reaction to the essential thinly advertised twist of the whole movie is done exceedingly poorly. Still, Moon isn't a disaster and it's very well made in terms of atmosphere. It's just everything else is a bit meh, in an attempt to compensate for lack of ideas to do with the harshness of isolation, especially in a cruel environment like space.

B-

62/100
August 5, 2016
Interesting, but not something monumental or especially memorable.
½ July 31, 2016
Moon est un film avec une idée particulièrement intéressante et originale, un film de science-fiction sans extraterrestre, juste une question existentielle qui tient presque tout le métrage. Presque, car Moon est aussi furieusement répétitif et parfois totalement ennuyeux. 15 minutes de moins n'auraient pas été de trop, même si Sam Rockwell est excellent dans un rôle aux confins de la folie. Kevin Spacey apporte un très bon boulot au niveau vocal et Duncan Jones a quelques idées de cinéma plutôt bonnes. Moon est un petit film habile qui parvient à ce qu'il veut, sans pour autant être un immanquable. Dommage.
July 25, 2016
I'd just like to make it short and quote QERTY: ":)"...
½ July 19, 2016
It does have it's fair share of intense moments but it does get pretty boring.
July 17, 2016
Has shades of 2001 in the best way possible.
July 11, 2016
Watched this by accident yesterday..how come i missed this gem? Sam Rockwell is brilliant!
July 9, 2016
Good and meaningful, makes you think. It's made differently from how most other scifi films are made.
July 8, 2016
Simplistic yet great. Rockwell rocks in this one
½ June 25, 2016
Sam Rockwell in basically a one man show. Harrowing, heartfelt, beautiful.
½ June 19, 2016
It's not bad, not extremely realistic though. We apparently know that, SPOILER ALERT, real Sam made it back and is living with his kid. So I guess the moral question becomes how much do you care about clones? In my case, the answer was a little bit. Sam Rockwell had to play off himself as the only human actor on set the whole time, I like stuff like that from a film-making perspective.

But then watching the special features on the DVD and hearing one of the producers complain about the "exploitation of people by big corporations" or whatever made my eyes roll almost completely out of my head. Big companies exploit, big governments exploit, humans exploit other humans, that's it. Doesn't matter who is holding the gun to the little guy's head, shit's gonna happen either way, you stupid bitch. OK I am done ranting. Otherwise, decent "indie" film (as indie as you can get on $5M).
½ June 18, 2016
Sci-fi at its best, with morality and humanity at its heart.
½ June 14, 2016
A psychological thriller taking place in space.
June 12, 2016
There's no better way to solidify yourself as a director in Hollywood than with a strong debut. All eyes are immediately turned on this former nobody who has come from nowhere and shocked everyone with a film that immediately draws the attention of every studio looking to distribute his/her next film.

In this case, that director is Duncan Jones, and that debut feature is Moon. On a budget of just $5 million, Jones crafts a beautiful, thought-provoking piece of sci-fi cinema that, refreshingly, doesn't shuffle it's characters under the rug in favor of visuals. In fact, character is front and center here: it's nearly a one-man show as we follow a single astronaut doing his rounds aboard a lunar mining station. That astronaut is Sam Bell (played by Sam Rockwell), who, alongside a friendly AI named GERTY, discovers a stunning secret. Rockwell is predictably amazing, but this is far and away his best and deepest performance. He manages to bring his trademark sense of dry humor, but also infuses the loneliness and mentally deteriorated nature of a man who has lived in total isolation for three years. Kevin Spacey voices GERTY, and while he's not a truly major character, Spacey brings the character to life in the same way Douglas Rain did with fellow AI Hal 9000.

The film was produced on just a $5 million budget, as previously stated, but you'd almost never guess it. The visual aesthetic of the lunar base is the perfect blend of sleek white halls and gritty equipment you'd expect from a 2035 space operation. The few instances of heavier visual effects look great, but thankfully, this isn't a film that has to rely on them. The standout of the technical aspects is the score from Clint Mansell. The score is sweeping and majestic when it needs to be, such as during one of the several lunar rover missions, but is also subtle and understated, to match the quiet character moments of Sam Bell.

Duncan Jones has successfully established himself as one of the finest directors working today with just one film. In a time where sci-fi concepts are not explored as deeply as they could be, Jones takes no hesitation in delivering a hard sci-fi tale that also serves as a beautiful, and heartbreaking, character study. This is some of the best indie filmmaking has to offer.
½ June 6, 2016
Sam Rockwell impresses above all, 8.5/10.
½ June 4, 2016
"Moon" is a very impressive, thought provoking science fiction experience that just falls short of everything it attempts to grasp, (such as logic). Sam Rockwell's finest work by far.
Holy cow! Really good.
Definitely not Sunshine...
½ May 30, 2016
Despite undoubtedly being a slow-burner, Moon is ultimately a satisfying watch. Lead by a solid performance by Sam Rockwell and an invariably likable GERTY, Moon is painfully slow at times, but manages to overcome this with mystery and quality story-telling.
May 29, 2016
Recycles good concepts and visual ideas from other sci-fi works and makes them work. Sam Rockwell does a fantastic job holding it all together. Excellent film , well worth a watch.