Between Two Worlds - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Between Two Worlds Reviews

January 12, 2017
Top form film rendering of classic play OUTWARD BOUND (originally made as a movie under that title in 1930). Cast is in fine shape and the performances are nothing short of riveting.
February 22, 2016
Amazing film. I wish they would make more films like this now. Real characterisation and a plot/story to tell.
½ June 4, 2013
I really enjoyed this movie and the unique personalities of the cast members. Edwin Gwenn (aka "Scrubby") was such a sweetheart in this film. The only problem I had with this flick was that it's one of those that plays continual background music throughout the entire movie.. :p Other than that, it was enjoyable!
March 4, 2013
Fascinating in its fanciful treatment of death, and response to its spiritual enchantment may be expected from this picture.
jjnxn
½ September 19, 2012
Moody fantasy with a terrific cast of characters and character actors all doing excellent work. The weakest link is Henreid but the rest of the players are given individual moments to shine and he doesn't hurt the picture much. Greenstreet, Edmund Gwenn, Sara Allgood and Garfield all stand out but everybody is good and create identifiable people with all their strengths and failings.
August 29, 2012
"Another" final voyage--Hypnotic in a corny way!!
½ March 6, 2011
A bizarre cinematic relic about a group of passengers on a cruise to eternity who have to be judged by Sydney Greenstreet to determine their fates. Edmund Gwenn (Santa Claus from Miracle on 34th St) is the steward on this twisted voyage. Truly weird.
February 10, 2011
Thursday, February 10, 2011

(1944) Between Two Worlds
DRAMA/ PARANORMAL

Idea taken from a film made in 1930 called "Outward Bound" which involves several people who were caught in an unfortanate bom explosion, only to wake up again on a cruise! Lacks suspense replacing it with general humanity!

2.5 out of 4
March 6, 2010
Overly sentimental but still entertaining film that had me thinking (a bit anyway) about my life's path. A mixed group of strangers in WWII London are waiting to board a ship that will take them to America. A bomb from an air raid strikes the cab they are traveling in, and they find themselves on what they believe is the ship to America. What they discover about the ship and about themselves is much stranger than anything they can imagine.

The cast, including John Garfield, Paul Henreid and Eleanor Parker are good, but Sydney Greenstreet really stands out as the Examiner who will make the final decision about what future path each of these passengers will take. Edmund Gwynn as the steward on the mystery ship is also good, although I couldn't help thinking about Santa Claus every time I saw him :-). For the most part, this was a well-spent 2 hours (or thereabouts). But I felt it was a bit heavy-handed in the "rich = evil, poor = noble" message. I would have liked to have seen a wealthy philanthropist amongst the self-serving, money-grubbing bastards. But maybe I'm watching this from a 2010 point of view rather than a 1940s.
½ September 3, 2009
½ April 8, 2008
Remake of Outward Bound and it's a whole lot better. Once again, bunch of dead people are on a boat, most don't know they're even dead and when they do, Sydney Greenstreet shows up as The Examiner to judge them. I'm surprised I was never bored with this, actually.
½ April 4, 2008
Eerie, poigiant, a boat load of people taking a boat trip to their after life place and not relizing for a while, but then learning about it and panicking a little. The charactors are a little one dimensional, Garfield does a little more with his charactor, but i am sure it wasn't easy.
Facinating, you should see it, it has george tobias for one thing and Sidney greenstreet is terrific as a kind of gate keeper, who tells people where they will be going finally or helps them figure it out for themselves and helps them to see why they are going where they are going.
Elinor Parker and paul Henried are facing different consequences becauses they may have taken their own lives.
interesting and somethings you figure out, but enough you wont.
March 30, 2008
Could have been a great film. The script is excellent, but I think it was a pretty low budget film. I don't think the director was experienced enough to really get the actors to warm to the material. Few of the actors had chemistry together anyway... but it's worth seeing for the writing.
½ March 27, 2008
This was crap compared to Outward Bound.
½ March 27, 2008
Very interesting concept. Love the idea and storyline. I felt though that most of the characters were underdeveloped and some of the acting (Henreid especially) was a little too unconvincing. There's a few things I would change (more action and suspense for one), but all in all a very interesting film...similar to the likes of "Lost Horizon" and "Stairway to Heaven".
½ February 11, 2008
[font=System]Quite a boring film. This movie, about passengers aboard a ship who are dead and on their way to Heaven or Hell, lacks the suspense and thrill that other movies with this plot entail. In college, I wrote a screenplay about the same kind of thing (ala "Sixth Sense" "Jacob's Ladder" and quite a few others) aboard a train. This film simply helps my writing in what not to include. This film was boring. The only interesting part was when the "examiner" boarded and decided each individual's fate. 3/10

[/font][font=Tahoma]Edit: Originally posted[/font] [font=Tahoma][b]Monday, October 29, 2007[/b] under Lucky7s22G[/font]
½ January 14, 2008
i like the concept of the movie. this is a wonderful clasic.
January 7, 2008
Really underrated. I mean, it as the tone and dialogue of an older film but it's also really stickin deep.
½ December 8, 2007
[font=Tahoma][font=System][size=2]Quite a boring film. This movie, about passengers aboard a ship who are dead and on their way to Heaven or Hell, lacks the suspense and thrill that other movies with this plot entail. In college, I wrote a screenplay about the same kind of thing (ala "Sixth Sense" "Jacob's Ladder" and quite a few others) aboard a train. This film simply helps my writing in what not to include. This film was boring. The only interesting part was when the "examiner" boarded and decided each individual's fate. 3/10[/size][/font][/font]
[font=System][/font]
November 7, 2007
A very well made and acted protrayal of death and what happens in the afterlife. What I found most interesting was that such a movie didn't receive more notoriety. The messages are so strong and meaningful. I'd rank this with It's A Wonderful Life and Meet John Doe.