[Rec] Reviews

• 2d ago

Without a doubt, "[Rec]," stands the test of time. It's been 12 years since I, (and the rest of the Horror fandom around the world), saw this film for the first time. After just watching a restored copy — that features a new DTS-HD MA 5.1 audio — I am having a difficult time trying to recall a better film released in the 2000's under the "found-footage" umbrella/sub-genre of Horror Cinema. Let me put it to you another way: As a lifelong Horror fan who has never had much care, interest, or patience for the "zombie" or "undead" Horror subgenre, [Rec] somehow manages to make you forget you're watching a movie that would (unfortunately) inspire garbage like The Walking Dead tv series & countless other uninspired, forgettable undead-riddled flicks. This is lightning in a bottle. There is no Act I, no reluctant hero, no call to action. From the 4-5 minute mark we are thrust from the mundanity of suburban life from the POV of a broadcast journalist whose network airs her feed during the 3-4am hours of the morning. Nothing is ever supposed to be worth covering or watching for this network — but less than 5 minutes into this film, our field reporter & cameraman are both thrust and deeply embedded into a living nightmare. For the next 70 minutes you are as anxious and emotionally exhausted as the rapidly depleting firemen and reporter locked in the building. When the Spanish Government quarantines the entire building around the 25 minute mark, we see our naive reporter put on a faux brave face for the camera...but everything in between the early segments of "formal" news broadcasts reveal the despair, helplessness, and relentlessly palpable dread break the character's down on a psychological level. That is, if they haven't already been destroyed physically from what lurks in the building's shadows — and especially the nightmare-fuel waiting in the attic...good luck sleeping!

• Apr 08, 2019

A soap opera with zombies

A soap opera with zombies

• Mar 07, 2019

Highly [Rec]ommend I cannot say enough good things about this brilliant horror flick, as it ranks in my top 3 favorite of all time in this genre, and is by far the best found footage iteration out there. The greatest strength of this movie is that it succeeds in making you feel like you're trapped in the building with the protagonists, scared out of your mind, and you don't have the slightest idea what you're even up against, because the filmmakers ingeniously draw out the reveal as long as possible. So many great scares, so much suspense, and filmed so well, you forget a lot of times that it's yet another found footage attempt. This should definitely be on every horror fanatics "must see" list, if you haven't done so already. Seriously, it's magnificent. One parting note, and I cannot stress this enough - DO NOT WATCHED THE VERSION DUBBED IN ENGLISH. It's not that I'm a purist, or snub my nose at dubbed foreign films, but this gem loses all of its appeal if not seen in it's original language. That's just how it is.

• Feb 28, 2019

A masterpiece of found footage horror.

A masterpiece of found footage horror.

• Jan 24, 2019

Brilliant movie absolute horror magic, king of found footage films and beats Blair witch hands down.

• Jan 03, 2019

next best Spanish thing after the Museo del jamón

next best Spanish thing after the Museo del jamón

• Dec 26, 2018

the best fictitious horror documentary type movie I've seen, excellent movie I recommend to fans of horror movies.

• Nov 11, 2018

Although it becomes increasingly difficult to ignore the cameraman (who is the audience's gateway into the proceedings) illogically encumbering himself by filming everything, that doesn't have too much of an effect on the overall impact. And the impact is pretty big, which is what matters. The acting's perfectly acceptable and the way the story unfolds makes sense, for the most part, but what makes this such a (dis)pleasure to watch is the way it's directed, making great use of the camerawork, lighting and sound design that all come together to create a scary, claustrophobic and realistic-feeling atmosphere where you feel trapped along with the characters. Speaking of characters, they're pretty thinly written, so don't expect much there, but maybe that doesn't matter too much when the exhausting and relentless pace gives you little time to dwell on it. Terrifying with a particularly unsettling finale that maximises the fear with its visuals, 'Rec' should leave horror-fans (and particularly fans of the 'found-footage' genre) satisfied.

• Oct 28, 2018

much better than the US version

much better than the US version

• Oct 26, 2018

Great movie! Had some genuinely good scares and a nice dark plot re zombies. The found footage wasn't annoying or overly shaky. Didn't hurt that the main girl was beautiful. It was also very claustrophobic bc they were sealed in a small building. Very very fast paced and what was really spectacular was a lot of the prolonged action shots were done in one shot. This is the original to Quarantine.