The Rage - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Rage Reviews

August 21, 2016
Atrocious splatter film might be good for a few laughs.
September 29, 2012
Would have been much more successful if released in the 80's. Bad acting, but I like the effects.
September 2, 2012
Directed by Robert Kurtzman, who directed Wishmaster and formerly of the FX group KNB and raved by almost every major horror website you'd think this would be a sure-fire, fun horror hit, right? WRONG.
This is a huge misfire from the word go. Its a poorly written plot filled with badly acted, unlikeable characters, amateur CG work, forced jokes and sloppy editing. It has some decent gore but even that's uneven because one shot will look great and then the next two are horribly cheesy. Unless you're a Misty Mundae fan there is no reason to torture yourself with this low budget rip on 28 Days Later.
DrStrangeblog
½ June 2, 2012
Good god...sometimes I think I've seen a terrible movie, but then every once in a long while - and hopefully a VERY long while - I stumble across a travesty so abominable like The Rage that puts my entire ability to rank garbage in a new perspective. When I see a movie this bad, it makes me think I must have done something unspeakably vile in a past life to be subjected to it as payback.

The makeup artist is the one member of the credit crawl who might live this association down with some ghoulish faces and a big rig's worth of fake blood. EVERYthing else is among the worst you'll see, from the hideous acting to the ridiculous script to the shaky direction to the laughable CGI. Oh there's gore aplenty, one of the goriest movies I've seen in a long time, but there's hardly any suspense to go along with it so the carnage is empty and repetitive. I seriously wonder how anyone could sit all the way through this in one go. I also wonder how people can wade hip-high in sewage at treatment plants, but somehow they find workers willing to do that too.

If this is Misty Mundae's best attempt to break away from her top-billing nudies into "mainstream" movies under her real name Erin Brown, then she's in big trouble. The other notable casting is a rather humorous Andrew Divoff, better known as the one-eyed Russian from Lost, as a crazy mutant scientist. I felt bad for them, but not as bad as I did for myself enduring what is already a slam-dunk finalist for worst I've seen in 2012.
½ January 22, 2012
A crazy scientist creates a virus that induces mutation and uncrontrolabe violent rage, and when one of his test subjects escapes all hell breaks loose.

I wasn't expecting too much from this movie as the plot sounded completely generic, but seeing it was directed by special effect wizard Robert Kurtzman and starred Andrew 'Wishmaster' Divoff, I thought I would give it a go. The result is a mixed bag of over the top insanity. The cast are all throw away characters and whether they survive or not is unimportant. Where the movie wins or fails (depending on what you want from a horror movie) is the plot, as it starts off sane enough, but soon degenerates into a complete monster mash with some of the stupidist ideas i have ever seen. The gore is plenty with people mutating, being eaten and having various implements shoved in them. The physical special effects are all very good, but the CGI is all particularly dodgy - but in my eyes this all adds to the madness of the film. If you are expecting a thinking man's horror movie, then you should avoid this like the plague. But if you are looking for a pure bit of comic book hokum that has mutant vultures in it, then this is just the film for you.
½ May 31, 2011
Wow, what a giant pile of shit.
½ March 20, 2011
Haha Less Cheezy than usual.
February 12, 2011
A real B-Movie in every sense of the word, The Rage is nothing more than a vehicle for special effects maestro turned director Robert Kurtzman to show off his talent for creating excellent practical effects. Luckily for us then that the film ends up being so silly and ridiculously bad at times that it can't help but be entertaining.

The plot is reminiscent of countless low budget films and the perfect setup for gore galore; a crazed scientist has become disillusioned with the capitalistic world and takes it upon himself to create a virus that forces which mutates it's host into a deformed killer with an insatiable rage. After one of his victims breaks free, he goes on a killing spree eventually spreading the virus to a flock of birds that develop a penchant for human flesh. Said birds take an interest in a group of teenagers who must desperately try to stay alive.

The Rage is very reminiscent of 80's splatter films such as Re-Animator, the only difference being the completely ludicrous plot, downright awful acting and rubbish CGI effects that exist in Kurtzman's film. As it's a splatter comedy horror B-Movie, these usually negative elements actually help to make The Rage a fun watch as you can't help but laugh your way through this utterly silly film. The practical gore effects are excellent from Kurtzman with buckets of blood and gore on show, it's just a pity that the CGI birds were so downright awful. The acting is terrible from all involved, the group of teenagers have to be one of the worst group of actors ever assembled but again this only adds to the fun of the film. In all seriousness there is nothing good about The Rage other than the excellent practical gore effects but if you start to watch it knowing how silly it all is there is no doubting that you will have a smile on your face from start to finish.

If you're looking for a B-Movie full of blood and guts and one that's utterly silly right the way through then you can't go wrong with The Rage. Kurtzman has created a film that's best described using two words; entertaining rubbish.
October 18, 2010
Love divoff but this is disturbed. Who thinks these films up.
August 22, 2010
Another Z-budget that I just couldn't sit through unless I was in the torture chair of A Clockwork Orange. When movies are this bad, you just lose hope.
_
Full viewing on Aug 21 2010
The acting and set design aren't what's bad here; Andrew Divoff is actually wasted on a movie this trivial and poorly scripted. The gore and special effects are for the most part decent. The problem is that this movie has not a shred of horror and is far into silly territory. It's admirable to see film-makers with no money trying to pull off big effects using CG help, but it will read as lame to your average viewer. To me, it reads as "nice try, but you should have focused more on writing a better script". This movie quickly becomes the "shitty horror movie" that one its characters predicts it will be. And I will count some of these creatures as zombies albeit not the Romero type, especially since they have a controller, infect others, and have a natural affinity for violence. This movie is also loaded with too many allusions to horror fan favorites, so many that it drowns out any originality that was ever intended, and it is not used ironically but in that boring amateur fanboy way of "we saw this when we were kids, so now we want to do it too!".
½ June 1, 2010
With the worst possible CGI ever "The Rage" is lacking in the scares by a long shot.
½ May 27, 2010
CGI BLOOD
SHITTY ACTING
BAD CGI
BAD STORYLINE

STAY ARE FAR AWAY AS POSSIBLE FROM THIS MOVIE!
½ April 16, 2010
Pretty terrible, but fun to make fun of.
½ March 16, 2010
Not even for a laugh. Awful.
February 28, 2010
Falls on the list of one of the worse zombie movies ever...makes House of the Dead look like a piece of artwork. The special effects are bad, acting bad, plot bad, and ending so campy...that it fails to even be funny.
February 16, 2010
Nice plot but the acting and the CGI-effects are really horrible....and the monsters are really ugly looking.
½ February 8, 2010
I liked this films storyline, but some of the effects and acting was iffy. I liked the idea of "the killer vultures", but I didn't think it worked that great visually. A wonderful job at the gore and the storyline, but I think acting is a big part of film, and this one made me cringe a few times with the subpar acting. I think this one is worth a watch, but don't expect a spectacular film, just watch it with an open mind.
January 25, 2010
While this movie is filled to the brim with gore, it is the bad CGI and the poor audio that brings it down. It was off-putting to watch a bloody raging zombie stand there and shout, "Grrr... aaahhh.... mmmm.... rrrrrrr!" It just sounded like a guy in a sound booth and not an actual creature. I wanted to like this, but it was lame and I ended up fast forwarding through after the first twenty minutes. Skip it.