Ben X Reviews

• Feb 13, 2017

In his debut, Nic Balthazar skillfully mixes different social topics: addiction to video games, autism and also school bullying. Even though its scenes are sometimes excessive, Ben X is both a visual and a psychological punch. The video game universe provides Ben with a perfect shelter in which he finds the strength to continue living in real life. Also, this addiction will help him to do some discoveries and encounters. The many connections established between reality and the game are relevant. At the end, the film leads to wonder where the limits between reality and fiction are and it also shows that a video game can have both negative and positive consequences in the real world. Nic Balthazar cleverly mixes these two universes in order to get a hyperrealist and moving result that portrays a merciless world that constantly reject those who are different. Full review on our blog Los Indiscretos : https://losindiscretos.org

• Apr 12, 2016

cinegeek.de Ben X ist ein zeitweise fesselndes flämisches Drama über einen Teenager mit Asperger Syndrom. Seine täglichen Qualen und Erniedrigungen in der Schule, kann er niemandem mitteilen, auch nicht seinen Eltern. Er kann sie nur in einem Online Video Game verarbeiten. Wir erleben also zwei Ebenen; die der Realität und die des Spiels. Leider zerstört Regisseur Nic Balthazar damit fast seinen ganzen Film. Manchmal bricht mir Ben X fast das Herz, wenn die ganze Schulklasse Ben verspottet, der vergeblich versucht, sich zu wehren. In diesen Momenten ist Ben X aufrichtig und erschütternd - um dann wieder abzuschweifen. Immer, wenn die Gedankenwelt von Ben simuliert wird im Video Game, unterwandert der Film seine besten Szenen mit offensichtlichen Manierismen. Schliesslich gibt er auch seine Qualität, tief und intensiv zu erzählen, Preis, indem er verzweifelt versucht, ein gutes Ende anzubieten. So viele gute Ansätze, im Handstreich erschlagen!

• Jul 29, 2015

Firstly, this should be mandatory viewing in all schools, not to understand cinema but to understand bullying. Few minutes into this and you will start to suffer, then you feel helpless, and then you start withdrawing yourself just like the protagonist. It is an unusual movie with constant inter-cuts between reality and gaming with a much unexpected ending which wasn't easy to accept but makes you feel better!

• Jul 27, 2015

A very well done film about a bullied teen with Aspberger's syndrome. Excellent realistic psychological drama. Fine story values with some nice plot twists at the end. Excellent acting, especially by the actors who play the kid, his mother, and the two bullies. Highly recommended.

• Nov 07, 2014

One of the only movies who almost made me shed a tear. Truly brillant actors. What an end

• May 19, 2014

excellent visual effect, self thinking in real world into game world expression is very praiseworthy.

• May 09, 2014

I usually don't watch foreign movies, but Ben X was outstanding. It shows how a teen with Asperger's takes a stand against bullies who traumatized and tortured him in his unique way. What also interests me that the main character is into online computer gaming. This I highly recommend.

• May 09, 2014

• Mar 13, 2014

breath taking and heart breaking the story of an autistic boy. shows how much some people misunderstand the autistic. showed my friends and they almost cried BEUATIFUL movie :)

• Dec 20, 2013