Sugar - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sugar Reviews

July 26, 2016
I enjoyed this movie, it turned out a bit different than I expected, but it was a Hollywood-ized movie into the struggles of immigrants. The French Toast thing is something I can relate to as a son of immigrants, LOL. I'd recommend the movie.
½ May 24, 2016
Moving and inspiring story that ably shows the hardships and relationships of Dominican baseball players
December 19, 2015
I was waiting the entire time for the plot to go somewhere, but it never did. Easily the worst movie I've ever seen.
½ August 3, 2015
Alright baseball flick.
September 8, 2014
A baseball movie by the actor-director of Half Nelson? This I have to see.
August 16, 2014
A great movie about baseball, the fractured American Dream, and the isolation that comes with immigration to a country that speaks another language.
July 11, 2014
A tender, intimate, well executed story that is more about finding your place in the world, than baseball, per se. Despite the slow pace of the film, near the end, it never shies away from the small details that give it such a unique flavor. The story's bitter sweet conclusion is a brave and necessary choice.
June 20, 2014
Thought-provoking and heartbreaking.
March 22, 2014
Excellent baseball drama centered on a young Dominican with his eye set on the big leagues. Very well acted, shot and directed. Great soundtrack, as well.
November 19, 2013
Sugar provides a unique lens for a typical fish out of water story. The ending wants to show the character coming to a realization of who he is, but I just can't seem to make it fit.
½ July 31, 2013
I won't assume it will change the way everyone looks at players coming to the US for the first time, but it changed mine.
½ April 17, 2013
Muy bien. Muy muy bien. Casi parecia un documental, real, hermosa, algo confusa pero, ey, precisamente esa es la idea. Por otro lado, las pelis de baseball siempre me gustan mas de lo normal.
March 29, 2013
One of the best baseball movies ever made. It gets everything right. It's perceptive, it has humor, it's wise and knowing, and contains a life-affirming message about the value of one's own self-worth. Excellent entertainment.
½ December 27, 2012
So good- you forget your watching a movie as you brake down at its finale.
½ October 21, 2012
9/10 It's Baseball from start till the end.
June 16, 2012
The Dominican Friday Night Lights.
June 12, 2012
Really well-done sports film from the folks who made HALF NELSON (another naturalistic, cliche-rejecting film). Excellent central performance.
½ May 28, 2012
very very realistic.
May 1, 2012
It was really slow and dull. I understand that that was kind of the point of the film, but it wasn't great to watch.