Sugar Reviews

• Feb 25, 2019

Not my type of film.

Not my type of film.

• May 24, 2018

If you love baseball, you'll love this movie. This is the story of a Dominican teenager who is picked up by the Kansas City Baseball Academy in the Dominican, signed to a minor league contract, and sent to spring training in Arizona. From there we follow him to his first team, and watch him deal with baseball struggles, an injury, learning English and learning a new culture. It's a coming of age movie as well as a baseball movie, and I recommend it.

• Jul 26, 2016

I enjoyed this movie, it turned out a bit different than I expected, but it was a Hollywood-ized movie into the struggles of immigrants. The French Toast thing is something I can relate to as a son of immigrants, LOL. I'd recommend the movie.

• Mar 21, 2016

Moving and inspiring story that ably shows the hardships and relationships of Dominican baseball players

• Aug 03, 2015

Alright baseball flick.

Alright baseball flick.

• Aug 16, 2014

A great movie about baseball, the fractured American Dream, and the isolation that comes with immigration to a country that speaks another language.

• Jul 11, 2014

A tender, intimate, well executed story that is more about finding your place in the world, than baseball, per se. Despite the slow pace of the film, near the end, it never shies away from the small details that give it such a unique flavor. The story's bitter sweet conclusion is a brave and necessary choice.

• Jun 15, 2014

Thought-provoking and heartbreaking.

Thought-provoking and heartbreaking.

• Nov 19, 2013

Sugar provides a unique lens for a typical fish out of water story. The ending wants to show the character coming to a realization of who he is, but I just can't seem to make it fit.

• Jul 31, 2013

I won't assume it will change the way everyone looks at players coming to the US for the first time, but it changed mine.