Quid Pro Quo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Quid Pro Quo Reviews

December 22, 2015
I'm sure there are people in this world that want to live a life as a wannabe, but this is just f <*&#* up
½ October 18, 2015
has its contrived twists (or maybe not so contrived), but it mostly worked well on a subject that will intrigue those who come across the movie: do you want to be a wheelchair bound dude or dudette too?

only the Forrest Gump "magic shoes" business is a little meh
½ August 20, 2014
This is one of the weirdest movies I've ever seen. The actors are great, the story is very original, and there are several twists to keep you guessing.
½ March 8, 2014
what a strange movie. forgot paraplegic wannabes existed
September 20, 2013
This was a twisted and surreal movie. The cast was great and made this movie worth the watch.
July 1, 2013
very odd subject...
hard to relate to wheelchair kink..
and i still don't get the ending..
June 1, 2013
Its biggest mystery is how it was financed (by Texas trillionaire and Dallas Maverick owner Mark Cuban, no less) and selected for distribution.
November 3, 2012
Isaac Knott, played by Nick Stahl is a public radio reporter in New York; he's been in a wheelchair since he was 8, result of an accident that killed his parents. He sets out to investigate a case of extreme Body Integrity Identity Disorder(BIID) not knowing what it is or even that it existed; he discovers there's a subculture of this which he's most curious to try to understand. His character is broken hearted because his ex-girlfriend, also paraplegic, dumped him when he suggested they marry. On his quest to understand BIID, he meets Fiona, played by Vera Farmiga, who he finds interesting and not all that repulsive, considering she appears to be afflicted by BIID and in a progressive stage; she is gorgeous after all, and seduces him.

He comes across a pair of shoes he's compelled to own, and when he does put them on he magically gains use of his legs, a freak occurrence that only works when he wears them. Up to this point you may feel, as I did, this movie is not going to be one you'll be interested in seeing to the end; I wouldn't blame you, as the subject lends itself to that. However because I really like Vera Farmiga, I stuck it out; can't think another reason one would. The meeting of the two lead characters is not a chance thing; a deep purpose is at play and unfortunately isn't revealed till late in the movie.

The connection of the two leads and that purpose I mentioned was well conceived, I have to admit. You'll also learn about another disorder, hysterical paralysis, thanks to the very good writing by writer/director Carlos Brooks in his debut work. If you have the stomach for that sort of thing watch it, you may learn something. There are unavoidable comparisons one can make to the 1996 David Cronenberg's film Crash, but I won't. I also won't be mentioning or recommending this film to my friends; they may think I'm even more twisted than I sound at times, but I'm not. What I am is a movie buff with a broad interest and if you are as well, you may find it interesting.
½ July 15, 2012
a very good film idea but all together, not accomplished
July 10, 2012
Very different... kept me interested...
½ May 28, 2012
Thsi was nothing like I thought it would be; but it was still very interesting. B.I.I.D. is an underground subject that most people have never heard of. I cast no judgement upon anyone who has it, but I cannot understand it. Why would someone who has perfectly good health want to be paralyzed or handicapped? If I were a doctor and a patient came to me requesting removal of limbs, I could not consent to it, nor give a reccomendation for someone who would.
Fiona was not a woman for him to be in a relationship with; many things in that were just not right.
The tulip shots were very beautiful, and I found them to be a symbol of hope.
April 18, 2012
Very different - I did enjoy this a lot - so weird.
March 1, 2012
Issac Knott (Nick Stahl) lost his legs in a car accident which claimed both his parents lives. He works in Talk Radio where he one day stumbles across a group of individuals whose sexual fetish's lie in their want and desire to be paralyzed or crippled. Quid Pro Quo is a unique, interesting film which explores fetish desire and the morality which it entails. Given the subject matter, this film could have been much more interesting than it actually is. The narration by Nick Stahl's character pretty much tells the viewer everything they are supposed to think and feel, and if not for a truly great performance by Vera Farmiga, the film really wouldn't have even received this high of a rating. Vera's character Fiona is a desperate individual whose desire to be paralyzed comes from wanting to punish herself. I think my problem with the film is that its not nearly as intelligent as it thinks it is, and it's examination of this form of sexual deviance and self-destructive behavior, at least how I see it, is rather shallow. It's the type of film where the unique idea makes the film appear to be better than it actually is, when it really could have been something much better if it's examination was more than just scratching the surface. Oh, and the twist is dumb and unnecessary.
October 17, 2011
Seriously messed up. I don't really know what to make of it actually.
May 18, 2011
Pretty cool twist...but very very strange
May 13, 2011
Anyone for a mumblecore version of Cronenburg's Crash?
½ May 7, 2011
I didn't know what to expect of this movie, but was pleasantly surprised. It's a very original noir drama/mystery. The story is engaging and the acting is excellent.
May 7, 2011
Farmiga is perfect for the role.
March 27, 2011
A disturbing yet fascinating film.