My Brother's Wedding - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

My Brother's Wedding Reviews

Harlequin68
March 18, 2015
In "My Brother's Wedding," Pierce(Everett Silas), when he is not working for his parents'(Jessie Holms and Dennis Kemper) dry cleaning business, takes the time to look in on his grandparents. In the meantime, he is getting reading for his brother Wendell's(Monte Easter) wedding. And then Pierce's friend Solider(Ronnie Bell) gets released from prison.

"My Brother's Wedding" depicts a working class African American milieu that is still rarely seen in movies today. Ironically enough, in this world, there is upward mobility and downward mobility(Soldier has a certain outlaw charm and charisma about him) but moving sideways or not at all like Pierce seems expert at is definitely frowned upon. But as insightful as that is, the movie suffers from a fractured narrative that can be frustrating at times.(This review and rating refer to the 2007 director's cut.) Even the ending that desperately tries to bring everything together, can also feel more than a little forced.
May 22, 2011
The acting is lousy, which really hurts a potentially fine film.
January 22, 2010
I watched the director's cut, which is 35 minutes SHORTER than the original version. Refreshing to see a director who understands that sometimes less is more. What Burnett couldn't cut, however, were all the lousy performances. Everett Silas is fine in the lead, but almost everyone else is stiff and terrible. I also thought some of the writing was a bit sloppy. But the situations are set up well, and watching Pierce continually make such bad choices is both frustrating and endearing.
January 10, 2009
Like "Killer of Sheep", this film is not easy to swallow. Burnett has an approach to realism that is bleak and bitter, but then again, it is also true. My only complaint is the decision to shoot it in color when it would have worked so much more in black and white.
July 14, 2008
I think I loved this more than Killer of Sheep.

I love the girls he got for these films.
½ June 14, 2008
This was almost like a 70s version of a Hal Hartley film, with weirdly stilted staccato dialogue and oddly surreal exchanges. Probably not as moving or natural as "Killer of Sheep", but very engaging nonetheless.
½ June 10, 2008
I'm not sure how Burnett makes that wooden acting seem real... there are dozens of little perfect moments, though.
½ April 27, 2008
[2007 director's cut]

simply put, this was really good movie completely destroyed by horrible, laughable acting.
½ April 15, 2008
most people won't be able to get past the amateur acting, but this movie brilliantly represents the South Central nobody will remember.
February 14, 2008
A comedy, a morality play, a character study, a slice-of-life with a nascent plot -- a beautiful film.
January 22, 2008
I suspect non-professional actors go over better in foreign films. Could a native Italian speaker please tell me if the people in the neorealist films of the 40s are as stiff?
½ January 22, 2008
By having a more specific plotline to pay attention to, Burnett's realist approach becomes distracting and frustrating this time around.
January 21, 2008
Just as good as Killer of Sheep for my money.

Also tonight, I saw his short films: Several Friends, The Horse and When It Rains on TCM's tribute to Burnett and I gotta say I've found yet another celluloid hero.
December 21, 2007
Great almost forgotten gem of US cinema; one of the best films of 1983.
November 24, 2007
Charles Burnett does it again in his follow-up to KILLER OF SHEEP. Make sure to see the shorter 2007 Director's cut version, not the more uneven original 1983 rough cut version.
½ November 24, 2007
inevitably there are going to be comparisons, so here it is: this is not 'Killers of Sheep', and in many ways feels like a regression some ten years after making Sheep, even worse editing, possibly worse stilted acting, and a clumsy approach to arc storytelling. The delights of the film, and there certainly are some, tend to revolve around the in situ experience of South Central during the eighties. The environment, the attention to detail in the mis-en-scene, the comedic import of slang, all makes it worthwhile to watch.
November 9, 2007
It's a testament to Burnett's talent that this movie can succeed despite the acting (Everett Silas excluded).
October 2, 2007
Burnett's TRUE masterpiece is stimulating as all hell. Silas embodies his character's subtleties to an overwhelming degree and Burnett's composition is orgasmic. Some of the supporting actors really suck unfortunately.