Defiance - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Defiance Reviews

November 4, 2017
Underrated film. Very good and very well done. Acting and directing was great.
October 12, 2017
This movie was quite good, having a good mix between fighting scenes and some romantic scenes. I also found this interesting because I never knew that the Jewish people made an army to fight against the Germans, but this makes total sense. I thought the actors were very believable and did well with the emotional and fighting scenes.
September 21, 2017
I appreciated the fact that "Defiance" is not an critical celebration of the Bielski brothers and the other Jews living with them; instead, the characters' flaws are at the center of the movie, together with their heroism. However, too often I also had the sense that they were prototypes and not credible human beings. Other two weaknesses of this movie are the fact that Daniel Craig cannot keep his accent and that the events presented could have been condensed in less minutes.
September 14, 2017
Wow. What a story, a true story of yet more German atrocities. Maybe Zwick doesn't lift the film to the Spielbergian levels of, say, "Munich," also with Craig in a supporting role. But still, what a saga of hiding & surviving as unaccustomed forest people with next to no hygienic facilities. Daniel Craig was good casting as was Alexa Davalos and the rest of the cast. A story of desperate unrooted subsistence & Jews somewhat uncharacteristically fighting back amidst the terror of armed German pursuit & bombardment and self-serving maliciously apathetic Belorussians - and an uneasy temporary alliance with revolutionary Stalinist communists with their own godless agenda. The film is 20-mins too long but still worth seeing for its historicity. | - Norm de Guerre
½ August 21, 2017
7/10 Good story based on the real events, but sugar coated for emotional appeal. Even so, it could pack a bigger punch even there.
July 7, 2017
Good performance by Daniel Craig.A great story about the Jewish people.Good job.
½ March 31, 2017
I don't understand the hate from critics the movie has. This movie is very interesting and makes me wanna cry every time I see it. Perhaps on my top 10 favorite movies.
March 3, 2017
I am extremely disappointed by the Tamatometer on this one, this was a really good movie and extremely important story. I would highly recommend it and Liev and Craig are great!
February 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ January 16, 2017
A well-made film of a true story about a WWII subject that doesn't get a lot of attention: partisan fighting along the eastern front.
December 27, 2016
Defiance was a fantastic, powerful film, one of the best of '09. Often sad, often uplifting, always entertaining. Powerful bonds formed by strangers with one thing in common, their Jewish heritage. Each has felt or seen the brutality of the Nazi "police" firsthand and has escaped enslavement or murder, only to face other hardships while hiding in the woods (disease, freezing temperatures, lack of food, the wildlife that is also looking for scarce food, coups looking to gain power, and even lord of the flies-esque fighting among the people). This movie is not to be missed.
November 7, 2016
Great Movie about Jewish resistance.
½ October 27, 2016
This was pretty boring. I fell asleep
October 22, 2016
Dull and boring waste of some great actors.
½ September 9, 2016
Mr. Zwick's sure hand can't quite compensate for a problematic narrative flow that, while somewhat cathartic in its resolution, is not as emotionally arresting as it sets out to be.
½ August 30, 2016
Defiance was good, but it lack in some areas. Non the less good performance, good story, and it was fairly entertaining.
August 8, 2016
Rotten Tomatoes is totally wrong. This was a great movie.
½ June 16, 2016
Completely agree with the RT review. A well-made film with a superb cast but it was missing that lingering haunting factor which meant there was no real meaningful emotional heft to experience. Another horrific yet interesting tale to come out of WWII, that only leaves audiences with a sense of detached lacklustre - no matter how true the events were on screen. It may tell an accurate inspiring tale but doesn't pull at our heart strings - well not mine anyway.
June 7, 2016
One of few films that holds up under repeated viewing.