The Road - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Road Reviews

January 19, 2017
John Hillcoat's masterpiece!
½ January 16, 2017
The Road is a brutally dark and despairing film with a earth shattering performance by Viggo Mortensen and Kodi Smit-McPhee. I was surprised that the same man who directed Lawless also did The Road, the two film are very different but still very good in my opinion. The color scheme used in the film is great in transition between present and past flashback scenes, each getting more and more grey the father in the past they were in. I never read the book, but anytime I hear Cormac McCarthys name I an immediately interested and looking into the film. The Road is a very dark and unforgiving film that places its viewers in an environment that is both harsh and dying. The acting here was out of this world, it was so good, especially from its two stars. I had a good time watching The Road, even though I wasn't sure how much I'd like it. This film is not one to miss, but if one does not enjoy bleak and depressing films, no matter how good the production or the acting, then it might be a good idea to skip this one.
January 5, 2017
'The Road' does a good job of creating a believable world that is visually arresting and filled with unique characters that make the movie feel rich and more full of life. As a slow-burner, the pacing is constant and never allows the viewer to feel safe, given the fact that danger might wait around every corner. Ultimately full of surprises and love, 'The Road' is an endearing and suspenseful watch.
January 2, 2017
This isn't an easy novel to turn into a movie. All things considered, they did a decent job. But the novel was barely above mediocre, and the film the same. 6/10 seems appropriate.
½ January 1, 2017
Gorgeosly haunting film, not one I can watch often, but one which stays with you for a long time.
½ December 23, 2016
Viggo Mortensen puts on a good acting performance, but I found the boy's character annoying and pathetic. He's supposedly been raised his entire life in a post-apocalyptic hellscape but seems completely unadapted to it and constantly surprised by hisenvironment. It isn't believable.
½ December 17, 2016
The biggest waste of one hour and 51 minutes of my entire life. I held out hope that something meaningful, eventful, or mildly interesting would happen... but it never did. Do yourself a favor and watch literally any other movie instead of the Road.
½ December 7, 2016
Just good, bleak stuff. Mortensen is great.
½ November 25, 2016
Incredibly depressing, but great storytelling. It asks the audience more questions about morality than it answers. I guess the credit here should go to the author, but I feel the performances and visual style compliment the story well.
½ November 25, 2016
Cold and cynical, but the father/son dynamic is developed enough to carry "The Road" to the point of passable.
½ November 24, 2016
The movie holds to an extremely nihilistic worldview, but the gentle screenplay and intimate acting of the two main characters contrasted with the utter brutality around them provides for an endearing, raw, and emotional experience that displays the utter delicacy and fragility of human life.
November 23, 2016
This video had hints of pedophilia all over it. Plus seeing the main actors naked rear end for over 20 seconds was not pleasant either.
November 10, 2016
ABSOLUTELY LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF THIS MOVIE! After finally getting a chance to view "The Road," after wanting to see it all this time since it first came out in theaters back in 2009. I must say, I'm really kicking myself in the you know what for not seeing this movie sooner. This is definitely the ultimate post apocalyptic movie I have ever seen! Viggo Mortensen is absolutely fantastic in this, and is such an underrated actor in this business, that I don't know why we have not seen more of him! He was on such a hot streak, after being done with all three of The Lord of the Rings movies and then it just stopped! I guess that's how the game goes for some stars in Hollywood, but I really wish it didn't happen for Viggo Mortensen, because he really is such a huge talent in my eyes that I feel shouldn't be ignored. Maybe he's just being extremely selective like Daniel Day-Lewis is with his projects, who knows? But man, does he shine in this movie as a single dad, desperately trying to keep him and his son alive in a post apocalyptic world where cannibalism is the main threat from other survivors such as themselves. But Mortensen and his son are not cannibals. They search all over trying to find what ever they can to fill their bellies, while sticking together and not trusting anyone at all! The boy who plays his son is this is absolutely fantastic that you fall in love with him the minute you hear him speak. Which brings me to my theory that this is the deepest father an son relationship I have ever witnessed on screen. You really believe the whole time you are watching this movie that these two really are father and son. It's emotional. Deep. And feels extremely real watching and seeing what they must endure to survive in a world where human are the real threat like in "The Walking Dead." The real treat of the film though is the small performances in the film, especially when we flash back to Mortensen, his son, and his wife at the time before and after the end of the world occurs. Who played amazingly by Charlize Theron. I must say, I have seen just about Charlize Theron in just about everything she has done. And she definitely is a major force to not be reckon with in the movie industry as far as actresses are concerned. Because she really does give on of her all time best performances, as an intense and desperate mother trying to hang on for as long as she can in the apocalyptic world she and her husband and son are forced to live in now. Until, she decides she cannot go on any further and disappears into the cold woods never to be heard from again. We assume she dies somewhere in the wilderness freezing to death, as she wonders into the woods with no jacket to keep her warm. It's one of those performances that reminds us why Charlize Theron won her Oscar for Best Actress in "Monster," in the first place. We also get small cameos from the great Robert DuVall, who can literally do ANYTHING! Even just showing up in the film for ten minutes as an old, desperate lonely old man starving to death. Who Mortensen and his son encounter on their mission to head south in hope things will be better for them their than up north. DuVall's character is clearly damaged from the apocalyptic mess, but doesn't want to talk about his loss, and WE BUY IT! Because it's Robert DuVall for crying out loud! We also get a small cameo from Guy Pearce at the end of the film as well, which is really something to watch as I won't give away what happens. Just go see this movie. As I feel it really speaks for everyone in today's world especially trying to make ends meet for them on their families. Basically, it's about survival. Which is something we all can relate to in this world of ours. But one thing I can also guarantee is that this movie will touch your heart like no other.
½ October 31, 2016
Well acted, but slow-paced, and nothing we haven't seen from all the other post-apocalyptic movies and shows already.
½ October 28, 2016
Nothing really wrong with this movie. Great performances and it was shot effectively. However, the story was so bleak and depressing. Even at the end there was nothing redeeming or hopeful about this movie. Sitting through two hours of this depressing movie was torture. I couldnt imagine reading an entire novel. I wish I never would've seen this depressing movie.
October 27, 2016
A little dull but pretty interesting concept.
½ October 17, 2016
Stark and hauntingly bleak both in setting and the nature of human behavior. Vigo is great. The story is emotionally taxing especially for parents (fathers). Great movie.
October 15, 2016
The book was incredible and I love me some Viggo
½ October 13, 2016
"The Road's" grey color palette and ominous imagery brings McCarthy's haunting, ultra-bleak post-apocalypse novel to life, but McPhee's performance is oftentimes annoying.
October 7, 2016
16/10/07: Rewatched a film about a post-apocalyptic world explored by a man and his son...although explore is the wrong word. Wandered aimlessly. Nothing jovial about this movie other than the love of family. Still a good flick.