The Road - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Road Reviews

October 27, 2016
A little dull but pretty interesting concept.
½ October 17, 2016
Stark and hauntingly bleak both in setting and the nature of human behavior. Vigo is great. The story is emotionally taxing especially for parents (fathers). Great movie.
October 15, 2016
The book was incredible and I love me some Viggo
½ October 13, 2016
"The Road's" grey color palette and ominous imagery brings McCarthy's haunting, ultra-bleak post-apocalypse novel to life, but McPhee's performance is oftentimes annoying.
October 7, 2016
16/10/07: Rewatched a film about a post-apocalyptic world explored by a man and his son...although explore is the wrong word. Wandered aimlessly. Nothing jovial about this movie other than the love of family. Still a good flick.
October 2, 2016
4/10 good performances but badly thought out characters. especially the sons personality
September 29, 2016
A hauntingly bleak and depressing look at what life might entail for humanity in the near future.
½ September 24, 2016
The Road is unforgivably bleak, yet with great performances from its two leads.
September 21, 2016
The Road is an incredible film. It is about an ailing father defends his son as they slowly travel to the sea. Viggo Mortensen and Charlize Theron give terrific performances. The screenplay is well written. John Hillcoat did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the adventure and drama.
September 5, 2016
81% The Road is a visually striking, poignant, and haunting at times father and son tale of survival and is highly entertaining.
September 2, 2016
A father and his son are walking through an post-apocalyptic world that feels like the rainy version of a Fallout game. That's impressively filmed and looks wonderfully bleak in its most gorgeous shots. The film's slow pace is no real problem, the somber atmosphere works in every scene anyway. Mortensen and the great Smit-McPhee easily carry the story, even if they rarely meet other characters. Only the solution is a bit of a let down, not entirely without hope but somewhat anti-climatic. A real downer of a movie, but worth checking out.
August 28, 2016
they are whispering the whole time i can barely hear anything they're fucking saying even with the volume as high as it can go, then random sounds are just blasted for no reason. so fucking annoying.
August 27, 2016
For half the movie, the protagonists consider killing themselves. I'd say it's about the same for the viewers, too. What a long, slow, depressing movie. And I'm not really sure what the point was...
August 27, 2016
This is one of the most hauntingly powerful films I have ever had the pleasure to watch. Gritty, unnerving and almost panic inducing, it perfectly captures the feel of a broken world. With pitch-perfect performances, it's a film that no one should miss.
½ August 26, 2016
Never read the book, this was fine.
August 26, 2016
The Road is directed by John Hillcoat and stars Viggo Mortensen and Kodi Smit-McPhee as a man and his son traversing across the country in a post-apocalyptic wasteland. The world they live in is bleak and full of bad people, and the two can only trust each other.

Holy cow, this movie is BLEAK. Right off the bat, we get thrown into this horrible, broken world (shot in Pennsylvania) with narration by Mortensen. He explains that most survivors are thieves and cannibals and that he and his son are "the good guys." They are as good as good gets in this world, which might not even be that great. Mortensen's protective nature drives him to do a couple of horrible things, which disturbs McPhee. Both of these actors deliver fantastic performances and have great chemistry with each other. Charlize Theron, seen in flashbacks as the wife/mother, adds to the background of Mortensen's character, who is increasingly feeling hopeless. Nick Cave and Warren Ellis wrote the film score for this movie, and it is incredibly fitting; the contrasting music between the grim scenes and the hopeful scenes is spectacular.

I really love this movie, but I do have a disclaimer for anybody out there who might watch this: this is a TOUGH movie to watch. I had to take a break halfway through it because it was so heavy. The Road is a fantastic movie for what it is, but it definitely is not something you turn on when you're bored on a Saturday afternoon. If you're in the right mindset going into the movie, you'll leave satisfied.

Final grade: B+

August 26, 2016
Almost as depressing as the book.
August 25, 2016
Once again the movie does not live up to the book but it is worth a watch
½ July 30, 2016
There has been many end of the World films but few are about the real struggle of surviving day to day and if there was then they are nothing on this beautifully shot yet heartbreaking scary film about a man and his son trying to survive another day without using there only 2 bullets on themselves, Yes that is the plot, To most it won't appeal but it's amazingly acted and even though it's a slow burner that never catches fire the story and the on screen connection between Viggo and Kodi is enough to keep us gripped and drag us into the story with them and the ending was perfect, There's no action just pure drama in an apocalyptic World.
½ July 15, 2016
It's difficult to be enthusiastic about a film which doesn't have a great degree of purpose or intent to entertain. When a man and a boy face a life of battling hunger and warmth following a post apocalyptic event, there sole purpose is to reach the sea, although I'm not really sure what value that would have upon their fight for survival. It's then a case of what they will encounter along their journey, which in truth doesn't amount to too much. A couple of fellow strugglers and a gang of thugs would near enough sum it up, meaning the concept revolves a lot about the close relationship of the father and son. I have no qualms about the acting as the story is told very well, but it's just quite a depressive and uninspiring watch that doesn't get ones cinematic juices flowing. It's sort of like 28 Days Later, but without the rage concept i.e. Just walking through endless streets of silence. It didn't really bring any form of emotion out of me; sadness, joy, frustration, confusion, or disappointment - It just left me feeling rather blank, and wishing that 'The Road' they travelled on was a very short cul de sac.