The Road - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Road Reviews

½ April 2, 2017
What an ugly movie. Man is a wolf for man in the proper sense since human beings become cannibalistic. If I admit to like the denunciation of capitalistic greed (the canibalism) the film seems to regret the society in which we live (the world before the apocalipse and the family-cliche at the end with the father, the mother, the children and the dog like in all capitalistic American commericals). While we can wonder if it was really the golden age that is depicted in the film ... Moreover, why in a film that seems to want to transmit "values" Are the canibales unpunished? On the other hand, the black villain who steals (normal since he is black ...) is punished for theft, whereas he had no other choice to eat, and it is presented as normal and just but the canibals remain unpunished! Morality: Let's continue to plunder Africa (the black guy is stripped of his clothes and has only his eyes to cry), they will let themselves be extorted while whimpering but the capitalists will continue. That's how it happens in reality, the film has the merit of showing this, but if it has the values ??to convey it is seriously lacking.
March 17, 2017
Long and drawn out with no ending
March 10, 2017
A bleak movie with fine acting that's really more of a character study as there's not a great deal of story driving it anywhere specific.

For me it's a "once only" watch as there's little to bring me back to want to watch it again. It's well made but could have benefited from an occasional change of tone and a more engaging story arc.
½ March 6, 2017
So realistic it's boring. I'd rather suspend disbelief anyday than watch such a chore.
March 5, 2017
Very good movie...post apocolyptic movies are hit or miss...this one was well made and well acted.
½ March 5, 2017
Not bad but could of been better
February 27, 2017
By far the most vivid picture of hopelessness and despair I've ever seen!
February 17, 2017
?This film is excellent. This review will be a rant against the "professional critics" who gave the film negative reviews. I've never heard of the majority of these critics, nor their Internet sites. I'd like to quote and criticize some of the bad reviews and identify the sites from which they came, but the great majority of these people probably make so little $$$ as a "professional critic" I'm certain I'd be sued, so they could stay off welfare and food stamps for a while (No offense against those who were or are on these gov't programs. Been there, done that). This is not an action film. The timeframe, the other people still alive are only a background. The film is addresses the absolute love between a father and son during times not imagined. It's about humanity. That's the core of the film.
February 10, 2017
A dystopian world in the not too distant future is the backdrop for this drama about a man and his son just trying to survive after civilization collapses. Mortensen is awesome, as usual, however the kid didn't impress. This story is about the two wandering, which sometimes gets quite boring. I have trouble connecting to movies in which the characters don't have names (here we have man, boy, woman, etc.) Dehumanizes them and reduces my enjoyment. Barely gets a passing grade.
½ February 5, 2017
Dark and atmospheric. Believable all the way to the end.
February 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 30, 2017
Viggo Mortensen and Kodi McPhee carried the film till the end.
January 19, 2017
John Hillcoat's masterpiece!
½ January 16, 2017
The Road is a brutally dark and despairing film with a earth shattering performance by Viggo Mortensen and Kodi Smit-McPhee. I was surprised that the same man who directed Lawless also did The Road, the two film are very different but still very good in my opinion. The color scheme used in the film is great in transition between present and past flashback scenes, each getting more and more grey the father in the past they were in. I never read the book, but anytime I hear Cormac McCarthys name I an immediately interested and looking into the film. The Road is a very dark and unforgiving film that places its viewers in an environment that is both harsh and dying. The acting here was out of this world, it was so good, especially from its two stars. I had a good time watching The Road, even though I wasn't sure how much I'd like it. This film is not one to miss, but if one does not enjoy bleak and depressing films, no matter how good the production or the acting, then it might be a good idea to skip this one.
January 5, 2017
'The Road' does a good job of creating a believable world that is visually arresting and filled with unique characters that make the movie feel rich and more full of life. As a slow-burner, the pacing is constant and never allows the viewer to feel safe, given the fact that danger might wait around every corner. Ultimately full of surprises and love, 'The Road' is an endearing and suspenseful watch.
January 2, 2017
This isn't an easy novel to turn into a movie. All things considered, they did a decent job. But the novel was barely above mediocre, and the film the same. 6/10 seems appropriate.
½ January 1, 2017
Gorgeosly haunting film, not one I can watch often, but one which stays with you for a long time.
½ December 23, 2016
Viggo Mortensen puts on a good acting performance, but I found the boy's character annoying and pathetic. He's supposedly been raised his entire life in a post-apocalyptic hellscape but seems completely unadapted to it and constantly surprised by hisenvironment. It isn't believable.
½ December 17, 2016
The biggest waste of one hour and 51 minutes of my entire life. I held out hope that something meaningful, eventful, or mildly interesting would happen... but it never did. Do yourself a favor and watch literally any other movie instead of the Road.
½ December 7, 2016
Just good, bleak stuff. Mortensen is great.