The Road - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Road Reviews

January 21, 2018
There's no real storyline, just the occasional tense moment.
½ January 20, 2018
Without doubt the bleakest film I have ever seen. So much so that the ending doesn't have a ring of truth about it. It was enough to give me bad dreams the night after watching, so it deserves kudos for having impact, but I can't say I enjoyed any of it.
December 30, 2017
Relentlessly grim - the hope of the boy is set against the nihilism of the father. The ending could have gone either way and is, perhaps the weakest point of the film...
December 21, 2017
Really depressing but very good.
½ December 19, 2017
Puntaje Original: 7.0

La tonalidad y la calidad de producción en The Road son majestuosamente comparables con la interpretación de Viggo Mortensen. Una obra maestra que explora inteligentemente las mas viscerales emociones humanes que por momentos se puede percibir un ligero desvío de demasiada emocionalidad, pero nada que afecte al desarrollo de este film.
½ December 18, 2017
This movie was like pulling my nails out of my fingers...very slowly. Believe it or not, the book was worse.
November 17, 2017
A really emotional and haunting film with Viggo Mortensen!
½ November 16, 2017
Viggo dies at the end and the kid then goes to live with strangers. Before that happens, Viggo and the kid try to find food to eat and avoid cannibals. Not as boring as some have made it out to be. Reminded me of the Walking Dead in that it's about struggling to survive in a post apocalyptic world and that other humans are the biggest threat.
½ November 8, 2017
One of the best apocalyptic films ever. The directing,
Acting, and screenplay was as good as it gets.
November 6, 2017
A powerful and well acted post-apocalyptic drama. While it can be hard to watch at times, the atmosphere and bleakness of the film is quite amazing. This is probably the most realistic look of what the end of the world would look like and that has to be worth something. So while I will probably not want to go back and watch this anytime soon, it is still a very good film. Highly recommended to those who have the stomach for it.
October 7, 2017
A sad story of sad days.
August 23, 2017
This apocalyptic world scenario is interesting but underexploited as a story. After awhile it becomes boring and the child annoying as he is always sobbing through out the movie. It's flat and uneventful. Not a must see, a waste of time.
August 20, 2017
A riveting survival story with so many meaningful scenes. Truly a great film!
August 18, 2017
Wow!! Purely Fantastic!! Viggo Mortensen is at his pure BEST!! PERIOD!!
August 3, 2017
A grim take on the post-apocolyptic theme. A film of grey depression is brought to life by a brilliant performance by Viggo Mortenson. Tough going but rewarding in equal measure.
July 23, 2017
Bleak and rather depressing!
July 14, 2017
Long, but enjoyed it!
½ July 2, 2017
A boy and a father walk toward the ocean for absolutely no reason and meet several characters completely irrelevant to the plot. The end.
½ June 23, 2017
I feel that this is a movie that would have benefited greatly from the omission of a score - the bleak tenor of the book is destroyed by the constant use of unnecessary music which breaks up the endless monotony of the main characters' lives. It's a dead, silent world and should have remained as such. Though much of the action is true to the original story, there was a feeling that the "action scenes", which were fewer and farther between in the book, were intertwined and overlapped...which might have heightened the individual scenes, but it also foreshortened the story by jamming everything together. Much of the book is a plodding tale of survival, interspersed with brief flashbacks of a better time (even when it was going downhill) and harrowing near-death encounters with other survivors, which felt far more bleak and realistic than the movie.

All that being said, I do feel that Viggo Mortensen does a phenomenal job in the role of the Man and that it stayed truer to the original story than most film versions of books that I've seen.
June 22, 2017
This film has no flaws; it is well acted, paced, scored, and written. It's flawlessness for me is unfortunately its downfall, as the tale is so utterly depressing and grim that its accurate portrayal only makes it all the more unsettling.