The Road Reviews

• May 28, 2019

I wonder if I should have read the book first. I found this passable. The main storyline is interesting but I wasn't thoroughly engaged with what was going on on screen. The great performances of the 2 leads elevate it above mediocrity.

• May 06, 2019

In the era of post apocalyptic America, this movie portrays the unimaginable horrors and dispair as a father and young son voyage cross country to the west coast searching to find a better life beyond the ruins. At times you will find yourself deeply disturbed by the relentless darkness of this film, yet the bond of unconditional love and committment between father and son is undeniable. The strong acting is nothing short of absolute perfection. I disagree with top critics who gave this masterpiece a poor rating. A must see in my opinion.

• Apr 16, 2019

Disturbing, gruesome, beautiful and carried out by a spectacular Mortensen. It will stick with you for a while !

• Apr 04, 2019

Very true to the book, which was a masterpiece.

Very true to the book, which was a masterpiece.

• Mar 17, 2019

Not a fan of the ending.

Not a fan of the ending.

• Mar 10, 2019

The Road often times has a weaker aesthetic and it needed better world building, but it's still a very strong, captivating movie in spite of its slow pace and long runtime. That's because the emotional investment is very high, its theme of humanity is wonderfully showcased and the father-son central relationship is fantastic thanks in large part to two terrific performances from Viggo Mortensen and revelatory Kodi Smit-McPhee.

• Mar 06, 2019

Brood And Breed. The Road Hillcoat is confident in his world. Almost as if too much confident at times. The stillness and the rawness that he has captured is both his major asset and the upset. Stillness, mostly favors in on actors account as they never miss a chance to flaunt in their skills at these moments. But the rawness that makes it authentic, can also be jarringly haunting and off putting on terms of the appeal. Armed with a sharp absorbing adaptation, John Hillcoat- the director- has unfortunately lost the structure and somehow the spark of the game these characters are involved in. What could have been fascinating is the film not obliged to specific various acts, since it is only one big act, a build up of the finale. But that one big act certainly overstay its welcome and takes things for granted. As far as verbal sparring is concerned there isn't much to rely upon, as mentioned before, the film relies upon physical sequences to speak volume and the man to look forward on such instances is of course Viggo Mortensen. His gaze whilst brooding onto various aspects of the location or situation comes in handy in this world. But what grounds and humanizes his character, is the way he looks at his boy (Kodi Smit- McPhee), there is nothing but peace left in your heart as he teaches and corrects him. And when the time comes to take tough decisions, his pain and fear is what drives Mortensen to amplify the momentum or the drama to a cinematic level. The guest cast like Charlize Theron, Robert Duvall and Guy Pearce comes in and does their work expectantly and fulfills their importance on screen. The Road is hard, long and unfortunately bumpy, with none whatsoever rest in this journey, it can grow tiresome for the audience.

• Mar 04, 2019

Vigo was supergreat. Film was so boring, omg I can't even express that. I know it was more like a father son relationship drama and I get it but it bored me. At leas I know netflix ripped this off in their film with Martin Freeman which name I already forgot that shit it was. They changed crazy apocalypse people to zombies and there you go so 2010s. Anyway ... I loved apocalyptic country but that was that.

• Jan 15, 2019

I'm having a hard time figuring out why I didn't like more than I did. It's a good story, the actors give great performances and it's beautiful in haunting way; it may be a bit too depressing but that's not what bothers me. In the end, it's not quite clear where we're headed with this movie and what message it's trying to convey; the very ambiguous ending that can be interpreted in oh so many ways doesn't help in that regard. Maybe it was on my to-watch list for too long and I expected more but while I enjoyed the movie as a whole, its lack of direction left me inexplicably unsatisfied.

• Jan 13, 2019

Almost a really good post apocalyptic movie but this movie as very little to offer in terms of entertainment. I was fully bored from start to finish .